Chapter 38

My Invisible Husband

 

     While it’s still 6am, I immediately prepared myself for work. My aim for today? I should be leaving before Chanyeol wakes up. I know I’m being selfish. I know he would get the ring as soon as possible. As for me, I don’t want to give it yet. I don’t want to remove it yet. I don’t want him to leave.

 

     “Sunju. You’re so early.” Yongguk sunbae got surprised when he saw me enter the kitchen, well-prepared.

 

     “I got so many leaves already… I should work better.”

 

     I shook of the thoughts in my mind and started to pressure myself with the work. I should be busy right now.

 

     For the whole day, I worked there.

 

     Now the time came when the restaurant will be closed on that day. The establishment wasn’t a 24-hour store, and it closes at 10pm.

 

     “Yongguk sunbae… Can we… go and hang out somewhere tonight?”

 

     “Yongguk-ah!! Haven’t you remembered? We’ll celebrate if she’ll win. She won!” Himchan exclaimed.

 

     “Yes I won.” I murmured. Now is the time for a perfect celebration.

 

     Yongguk sunbae sighed and scratched his head, “I’m sorry saengi, but---“

 

     “Come on Yongguk!” Himchan groaned. “It’s been a week since the competition! Let’s celebrate!” he insisted.

 

     “Actually, I planned it to be tomorrow, since I have something really urgent to do now…”

 

     “Tomorrow? How come you didn’t tell me?”

 

     “Aish. You bastard. It should be a s---“

 

     “It’s fine sunbae.” I said with a weak tone. Both of them quieted down, and Himchan oppa cleared his throat.

 

     “I’ll go ahead, sunbae, oppa.” I bowed and dragged myself away.

 

     “Be careful, okay?”

 

-----------------------------------

 

 

     Now I should go elsewhere. I don’t want to go back to my unit. I don’t want to face Chanyeol. I don’t want to give the ring back to him.

 

     I stopped by a newly-opened bakery and looked for some delicious pastries. Truth to be told, chocolate cookies are my friends when I want total comfort and peace of mind.

 

     I ordered a box of chocolate chip cookies and sat on one of the tables. I seemed so hungry, when in fact I already ate my dinner.

 

     I swear I bake better cookies than these.. but still delicious.

 

     It’s already 10pm. I have no plan to go home. But the shop is almost closing. The lady on the counter already eyed me, but showed me a meaningful smile. With that, I left the store. I decided to take a 30-minute walk all the way to my apartment. At least it’ll add more time, plus, I’ll walk slowly, so maybe the time will be doubled.

 

     But after all, no matter how late I will arrive, I will still face him. I will still remove this ring and give it to Na Rae.

 

     Reality bites.

 

     He’s not mine in the first place, then why should I refuse to let him leave when it’s his right?