Chapter 25

My Invisible Husband

 

     As days go by, it turns out that I’m always longing to go home. Chanyeol gave me this reason to enjoy quality time at home. When I’m at my unit, he would tell me random things, about his experiences during his sixty-five years of staying here on earth as a soul.

 

     He told me how he witnessed a boy that accidentally slipped over a banana peel. He told me that was the funniest scene he saw. He also told me about a couple fighting on the middle of the road and abruptly a truck arrived and almost ran over them. Gladly someone concerned pushed the both of them aside but it ended up that someone was bumped by the truck and dies. That was hilarious. I felt pity for the one who died but I can’t help myself to laugh. But he said that someone was the man’s mistress. Chanyeol tracked the investigation and followed it for two years until the case was solved. Now I know why Chanyeol seemed fearless in everything. He’s lived here for years, and has witnessed how the world evolved.

 

     “Sunju, kinchana?” I didn’t notice I was smiling all the way while I was thinking those.

 

     “Deh. I’m fine.” But the smile remained.

 

     “Oh. We’re here dongsaeng-ah.” Sunbae said. Since we left the cafeteria at the same time, I agreed to come with him at the pastry store to buy something for his little sister. I see. He’s close to ladies, that’s why I felt like he’s really my brother.

 

     We entered the store and the first thing that caught my attention is the tray of cinnamon rolls. Na Rae and Chanyeol’s favorite.

 

     So then I found myself holding a box of rolls in my hands on my way home. I bet Chanyeol would like this one. I do hope so.

 

     “Chanyeol-ahh, I’m back.” For the first time I greeted him when I came back in my unit. Chanyeol ran out from the kitchen (as usual) and embraced my happily.

 

     “Aigoo. It’s already late. I thought you won’t come home. I was worried.” That statement all of a sudden sent the current in my body, more electrifying this time. At the same time my intestines formed knots. The hug felt comfortable. Warm. I just felt like I just want to stay in his arms all night.

 

     Hey Sunju. You’re being fancy again.

 

     I freed myself from his embrace and handed him the box. “For you.”

 

     “Jinjja?!” he opened the box. “Gomawo!” he beamed widely. I smiled in reply. He reached for the box and offered me some, but I told him I don’t like cinnamon.

 

     “What did you do in the kitchen?”

 

     “ajskdhsajk.”

 

     I frowned. I can’t understand a single word.

 

     Munch. “I made sandwich for both of us.” He grinned.

 

     Pfft. I wanna laugh at his face. There’s something on his teeth.

 

     “Waeyo??”

 

     I covered my mouth and controlled my laughter.

 

     He scowled and poked my cheek.

 

     Poked my cheek.

 

     “Aww!” that really did hurt.

 

     “I’m sorry.” He said teasingly and removed that something from his mouth using his tongue. “Ugh. Can’t you face back and do that one?!”

 

     “Ani. I have no time. Besides, I must not be shy doing lame things in front of you. I’m your husband remember?”

 

     Yeah. I almost forgot that was the purpose why he’s staying here, which, as days go by, his presence becomes typical.

 

     “And you’re my moody wife.”

 

     So he’s calling me moody. Until now he still remembered the way I acted in front of him for the first time we met.