Of Paper Stars and Cranes

Pillow Talk

Sowon rubbed her eyes with one hand while her other hand reached for the space beside her, expecting to find her girlfriend’s body. But, she couldn’t feel anything there. Sowon opened her eyes, turned to the side, and found out that the space beside her is empty. Sowon blinked her eyes several times.

“Ah? Eunha is waking up earlier than me? That’s rare,” Sowon mumbled to herself. She tried to remember their schedule for today. “Eunha has to go to practice her upcoming event. SinB and Umji have school. Yuju has been studying for her university entrance,” she recited, “Yerin has singing practice. And I have to go to attend lectures at the university and then go to the practice room to practice with Yerin.” Ah, there’s still some time before we have to go on our schedules.

She yawned, stretched her limbs, and stood up from her bed. She’s ready to find her beloved girlfriend. She found her at the kitchen. Eunha has been preparing some dishes apparently. Her hands busy with bread and toaster. Making scrambled egg. During it all, Eunha has been humming to herself. And Sowon could hear, no scratch that, she could feel Eunha’s smile from her hum.

Sowon leaned at the wall. Her eyes followed Eunha’s every move. A smile bloomed on her face. Sowon felt content watching her. All trace of sleepiness vanished.  She wondered how a girl so tiny could become the center of Sowon’s world. But, then again, Sowon has always been finding everything Eunha did adorable. Sowon has no doubt that she will find everything about Eunha adorable, even after a year, two years, three years, ten years, for as long as she live, she’ll always find her as the most adorable in the world. Sowon has been in love with Eunha for so long, still in love with her, and she will continue to be in love with her. Sowon’s smile got bigger. She decided to surprise Eunha.

She approached Eunha from behind quietly. Slowly, she encircled Eunha’s waist with both of her arms. She rested her chin on top of Eunha’s head. “Good morning,” she said. It earned her a yelp from Eunha.

Her action almost made Eunha let go of the frying pan. “Unnie! You are going to give me heart attack!”

Sowon laughed.

Eunha pouted but her body automatically relax when she registered that it’s Sowon hugging her.

Eunha turned off the stove. She turned around so that she’s facing Sowon. Sowon shot her a lopsided grin. “You are already so cute in the morning.”

Eunha beamed at Sowon. “Good morning, unnie.” She took in Sowon’s appearance, her oversized pajamas, her messy bed hair, and sleepy eyes. She tiptoed to kiss Sowon’s cheek. “And you are already so beautiful in the morning.”

They stared at each other with small smiles. It’s like time has stopped ticking. For a moment, it felt like they are the only one existing. And, it felt nice. Until Eunha frown that is.

“Why?” Sowon asked.

“You aren’t supposed to wake up, yet.”

“Why?”

“Because today is your birthday. And I planned to make you breakfast in bed,” Eunha said. Her frown grown deeper. “You have done so much, I just—want to spoil you.”

There is silence for a moment before Sowon swooped in and lift Eunha’s body. Eunha squealed. “Unnie! What are you doing?!”

“Lifting you,” Sowon answered simply.

“I could see that, I mean, why?”

“Because you are being too cute right now,” Sowon said, “I am super happy, you know?”

“About getting a year older?”

Sowon laughed. “Maybe because of that too, but mostly because of you.” Sowon smiled. “I am happy because of you.”

Eunha smiled at that. She gazed down at Sowon. It is super rare to be higher than Sowon. So, Eunha wanted to savor the moment, how Sowon looked like from this angle. “And who is being super cute, right now?”

Sowon laughed.

Eunha leaned down to place a kiss on Sowon’s forehead. “Happy birthday, my dear Sowon-unnie.”

Sowon closed her eyes to enjoy the moment. She opened it again to Eunha’s stare on her. They’re engaging in another staring contest. Until sounds of people coughing break their trance.

“Okay…” SinB said. She coughed another fake cough. “You do know that you are going to break your bone, right?”

“Yeah… unnie, you are a grandma, well…not really. But, your bone are going to creak soon the longer you are being like that,” Yerin quipped from SinB’s side.

Eunha laughed and Sowon pouted. She put Eunha down as gently as she could before she pouted even more.

“Don’t pout like that, unnie,” SinB said, “It is unsightly. You are an elder. Elder don’t pout.”

This earned SinB a pinch to her ear from Sowon.

“Oww! Oww, unnie! I don’t support any sort of violence in this house!” SinB said.

This earned SinB another pinch to her other ear. Before SinB managed to open and land herself another pinch from Sowon, Yerin decided to intervene and pulled SinB with her.

“Okay, that’s enough, that wasn’t what you want to say, right? I mean, you are the one who said that Sowon-unnie is the most beautiful among us,” Yerin said.

SinB’s face flushed while Sowon’s eyebrow rose. Eunha tried to stifle a laugh at SinB’s expression.

“Unnie~~,” SinB whined at Yerin who only shrugged her shoulder.

“But, let’s move on to the more important matter,” Yerin said, “Unnie, happy birthday!” she hugged Sowon tightly. The latter patted her head with a laugh.

“Happy birthday, unnie!” SinB said. Her face is still slightly pink. Sowon reached her hand to ruffle SinB’s hair and cooed about how cute she is. Eunha joined in. So is Yerin who laughed at the frustrated SinB.

“I don’t do C.U.T.E!” SinB futilely protested.

--

It’s late at night when Sowon arrived home. Work and practice have been keeping her from coming home early, even though it is her birthday. She bought a box of fried chicken on her way home. She briefly wondered if the kids have gone to sleep. She hoped they are already in bed. They still have some schedules for tomorrow so it will be best for them to sleep early. However, her conversation with SinB at the fancafé might just prove that these kids are still wide awake.

She opened the door. Everything is dark. Her eyes caught some movement inside. Some really familiar silhouettes. Sowon smiled to herself. Another attempt at surprise birthday party, huh?

True to her guess, the moment she clicked the lamp on, there is a chorus of ‘happy birthday!” coming. This time, instead of pocky, they have real candles on the cake.

How sweet of them.

“I bring chicken,” Sowon announced after she blown her candles for the second time today. She pushed the box to Yerin who accepted it enthusiastically.

“Could we really eat it, unnie?” Yuju asked.

Sowon laughed. “Of course, I buy it for all of you.”

“What about our diet, unnie?” SinB asked.

Sowon made a shushing gesture at them. “It is okay, as long as only us who know about it,” she said.

Everyone’s jaws dropped for a bit. Their responsible leader just broke a rule!

“What are you guys doing, standing still like that? You don’t like it?” Sowon frowned. “Should I take it back?”

“NOooo, Don’t!” Yerin half shouted. “I mean, we appreciate it, unnie! Don’t take it back!” Yerin hugged the box closer.

“Yeah, Yerin-unnie is right, we are only surprised,” SinB said.

“We will eat it well, unnie,” Umji said. She hugged Sowon. “Thank you, Sowon-unnie.”

Sowon patted Umji’s head with a small smile. She lifted her head. Her eyes meeting Eunha who has a small smile on her own. She winked at Sowon who replied with a wink of her own.

--

Eunha’s eyes scanned the room to find the birthday girl. Everyone was eating at the dining table, everyone but Sowon. Ah, there she is. Watching TV in the living room.

Eunha placed a box beside Sowon and took a seat on Sowon’s lap. Her legs encircling Sowon’s waist. Effectively blocking Sowon’s view of the television. Sowon didn’t seem to mind, instead her hands automatically hold Eunha’s waist so that she won’t fall back.

“Hey,” Eunha greeted with a smile.

“Hey,” Sowon greeted back with a smile.

“Your present,” Eunha pointed at the box.

“Thank you,” Sowon said. Her voice sounds so happy. It made Eunha’s heart filled with happiness too.

Sowon opened the box. Inside it is a jar filled with paper cranes. She looked at Eunha.

“Do you remember, you used to give me paper stars every time we were going to say goodbye, back when we’re still trainees? You stopped when we move to the dorm.” Eunha pouted a bit.

“Ah… you are keeping it?”

“Yeah, I keep it, unnie. That’s one of my precious treasures. And I even counted it. You have given me like a thousand of paper stars, unnie.”

“That much, huh?” Sowon asked.

Eunha nodded. “The same amount of goodbyes we used to say to each other in the past,” Eunha said, “ My treasured paper stars, which is more like your kinda diary slash love letter for me.”

Sowon’s hands on her waist got a bit tense. Eunha massaged Sowon’s arms gently to ease the tension.

“Do you really think I don’t know, unnie? You were scribbling things inside the paper stars, weren’t you?” Eunha said, “The eleventh time you gave me the paper stars, I got curious about it and opened the paper stars with the intention to learn how you folded it.” Eunha played with Sowon’s hair. “Imagine the shock when I opened it and found your scribbles there. In each of the paper stars…”

1.

Today, a new girl is joining us for practice. She’s only observing tho. She’s super cute.

2.

Ah, she comes again today. She looked enthusiastic to watch us. I hope she’ll join us.

3.

She has the same name as Eunbi. She’s quieter than Eunbi even though her voice is really sweet. I want to hear it more.

4.

Apparently she has decided to join us! How awesome! It means we  I could see her every day!

5.

She is an amazing dancer. Her move isn’t as sharp as little Eunbi. But, the way she danced is graceful and smooth. I could watch her dance all day long.

6.

She wanted to try to do mature type of dance, but for some reason it looked really really cute instead? At least for me? I could still watch her all day long tho.

7.

Did she really never dance nor sing for years? Because I am always so captivated watching her. And, a good performer always able to capture the audience attention, right?

8.

She is actually very talkative! She’s talking passionately about the origin of music. She is going to hit it off well with Yuna. And, somehow, I like hearing her talking so passionately like this.

9.

She is savage, even more savage than little Eunbi! I mean, she said sugar is sweet. In a flat voice. In a conversation that has nothing to do with sugar… and we all know that sugar is sweet... 

10.

She is so hard working. Little Eunbi has been dancing with her. She still stays up late to practice even long after Little Eunbi has gone home.

11.

She goes to the same school as the other kids. She’s even in the same year as Yuna. It’s a relief. She won’t feel lonely then.

“I thought, ‘oh wow, what is this? Why is she writing all of these things and giving it to me?... ‘ah, wait, she might have thought that I won’t ever opened the paper stars,’” Eunha said, “And you know, your paper stars have become one of the highlight of my days,” Eunha smiled. “Like, I wonder if she’s going to give me one today, and whether they’ll have more notes in it.” She closed her eyes. “Like, why is she paying so much attention at me. How did she know that I practice ‘till late… except, except if she’s been waiting to use the practice room too.” Eunha opened her eyes.

Sowon smiled at her. She didn’t confirm Eunha’s statement nor refute it. But, Eunha knew. She knew that Sowon has been waiting to use the practice room. Because, when Eunha went back to the practice room to take her forgotten towel, she found Sowon inside. Dancing. Practicing. Eunha still remember what she thought of when she watched Sowon danced. Just her, at the center of the stage. And, while Sowon praised her dance as graceful, Eunha found Sowon’s dance to be delicate yet precise. Like she moved the way she has to. Not a move out of line. Yet… yet… it also felt like Sowon is going to disappear… Eunha stopped her musing instead she focused her eyes at Sowon who has been looking at her with her small smiles that Eunha loved.

“So, unnie… I want to give something special for the kind hearted unnie who has been worrying and paying so much attention to people around her, even more than she’s been paying attention to herself,” Eunha took the jar. “I want to give her her wish.”

“Give me my wish?”

Eunha nodded. “You know how people said that a thousand cranes could fulfill your wish. I want to give you that.”

To Eunha’s horror, she watched Sowon’s eyes glisten with unshed tears. “What-what? Why—did I do something wrong?” Eunha cupped Sowon’s face with both of her trembling hands. Because because among all of Sowon’s reaction she’s been expected, tears just weren’t one of it. If she make Sowon cries, she—Eunha’s mind has been raging a storm

Sowon shook her head. “Nah, you are just—so good to me. I am just so so so happy with your gift, Eunha. Thank you,” Sowon said. She held Eunha’s trembling hands. She kissed Eunha’s palm and mouthed ‘I love you.’

And the storm inside her head subsided. So, Eunha chuckled. “You are weird, unnie. Why are you crying when you are happy?”

“Don’t we all do that?” come Sowon replied as if that’s the normal things people do when they’re happy.

Eunha shook her head. She buried her face into the crook of Sowon’s neck. Planted soft kisses along Sowon’s collarbone while Sowon run her hand along Eunha’s back.

--

“Okay…. We should say something to them…..,” SinB said.

“What are you even going to say to them?” Yerin asked, “They are like in their own world.”

“Why should we stop them? They looked so sweet like that,” Umji asked.

“Because they might start to make out or something equally gross,” SinB answered.

“I don’t think what they did is gross, though,” Yuju said.

“You just—never witness it yourself,” Yerin said.

“You do realize that we could totally hear you from here, right?” Eunha said, “Like we aren’t even siting that far away from you guys…”

“!”

“Shouldn’t buy that fried chicken….. not going to buy you anything like that anymore,” Sowon grumbled.

“NOooo!”

“We are sorry, unnie!”

--

Sowon looked at Eunha’s sleeping figure. Sowon felt gratefulness seeped into her heart. She’s grateful that Eunha has been born. She’s grateful for being born. She can’t thank her parents more.

She turned to her side. Her eyes caught Eunha’s gift. She wondered for a bit before she decided to open one of the paper cranes. What she found inside make her smile to herself. Sowon has always known that she is a sap when it comes to Eunha. But, apparently, she isn’t the only one. There, written in Eunha’s handwritten is her very own love letter for Sowon.

Sometimes, I wondered when I fall in love in you. I don’t have the definite answer. It just happened. But, I remember… I remember the moment I realized that the world seem to disappear when I am with you. It is like only you and me. Only us.

Sowon briefly looked at other cranes and opened another one randomly. She shook her head at what she found inside. The paper cranes are indeed Eunha’s love letter for her. Sowon got a bit teary eyed. And her heart is filled with happiness with gratefulness and mostly, it filled with her love for Eunha.

Unnie, you know…. I always thought that you are a Goddess. Because you are sososopainfullyperfect. And no, I don’t mean only your appearance—though you do realize that you are like super gorgeous, right?—but you perfect on the inside too, unnie. Yet, yet… I know that you got hurt too… by what people say and didn’t say. It makes me realize that you are human too, like me. Yet, it doesn’t make you less of a Goddess to me, unnie. You may not be perfect—you totally are perfect tho—but, unnie it is okay. I love you. And you are a Goddess. Please don’t forget that. People are mean for no reason and that isn't because you are lacking in anything! Please don’t forget that you are my Goddess, unnie. I love you. I am rambling. But, you got my point, I hope?

--

 

 

A/N : this one was supposed to be posted earlier T_T but....please enjoy! and...merry christmas and happy new year! for whoever read it, i hope your upcoming years be filled with lots of happiness :)