How Come You Don't Know? - final chapter part 1 -

How Come You Don't Know?

"What are you waiting for? Get back to the altar before I drag you there!" the voice of his father screaming echoed in the room, but it didn't make him startled. Jong Kook just stood still. He doesn't care how others were staring when Mr. Kim let out his anger after he 'rejected' Geun Young as his wife in front of the invited guests. Yes he had agreed to have the wedding, but it was only to declare publicly that he's not willing to accept the transactional marriage between the Kims and the Moons families. Jong Kook wanted to stop his father from controlling his own life, and to do that he had to be 'cruel' just like his old man.

 

(ten minutes ago)

 

"Do you.. Kim Jong Kook, take Moon Geun Young to be your lawfully wedded wife?"

The marriage officiant had to repeat the question twice when Jong Kook didn't respond as he should. Instead he mouthed a word, but it wasn't clear enough for anyone to hear. "Can you please speak louder?" asked the marriage officiant, assuming that the groom was feeling nervous. Jong Kook shifted his focus to the lady standing next to him. She nodded and smile - a sign that she's ready to hear the answer. Because of the thing that he was about to say, Jong Kook was slightly uncomfortable to stand at the altar. After taking a deep breath, the Commander finally replied, "I don't. Mianada."

 

Everyone was caught by surprise, especially Mr. Kim and Geun Young's parents when they heard the response. "Ya Kim Jong Kook! Noh micheosso?!" spontaneously his father stood up angrily, while his mother trying her best to cool off her furious husband. The guests began to make noises, chatting among themselves as they tried to understand what was happening between the groom and the bride. Facing the audience, Jong Kook made a shocking announcement, "I didn't mean to disgrace my parents or even Geun Young and her family.. but it is important for everyone to know that my heart was never into this marriage. Geun Young is a nice lady who deserves to be with the man who loves her.. but I am not that man as I.."

 

"Stop this nonsense! Take back your words or you will regret your decision for the rest of your life!" shouted Mr. Kim.

Jong Kook shook his head firmly, "I can't do that, appa. I want to be a good son to you, but not like this. Jaebal.. I need your blessing.."

"That's enough! I knew you will be doing this. Geurae. Shall we discuss this further.. my son?" Mr. Kim gave a signal - asking Jong Kook to follow his trail.

 

(Present time)

Now he has to pay the price. Right in front of him, the body of the woman he loves was lying still on the bed. She wasn't responding to the noises in the room, although the loud voice of Mr. Kim could have awaken a person from deep sleep. The lady remained frozen, and Jong Kook knew who was responsible behind her 'long silence' and why. Therefore, he didn't ask for any explanation as everything was crystal clear to him. Nevertheless, he wouldn't let her sacrifice be a waste. That would be the second biggest mistake of his life after he broke her heart on purpose.

 

"Pardon me for interrupting, but maybe we should let Jong Kook to have a moment alone. Jong Kook aah.. let us know when you're ready," Tae Jun chipped in when Mr. Kim kept insisting for his son to continue with the wedding. Once everybody left, the Commander moved to the side of the bed and sat next to the lady. He observed her carefully for one last time. Ji Hyo was dressed in white with face covered by veil, turning her into princess Aurora of 'Sleeping Beauty'. He couldn't help from wanting to peck her lips, so carefully Jong Kook uncovered the veil and leaned forward to steal a kiss. "This is it, my love. We will finally be together forever. Are you excited?" he asked, then took out a small bottle from his pocket and drank the liquid in one shot.

 

It was almost twenty minutes since they walked out from the room, but Jong Kook hasn't show up to meet them. Mr. Kim was getting anxious. The guests were still waiting for the wedding to take place, and the event was already behind time. It would look bad on him if it didn't go as he planned. He couldn't stand the delay anymore. Mr. Kim wanted to barge in and see what was happening with his son, but Tae Jun told him to wait for Mrs. Kim to arrive with the Moon's family. "If you want your son to proceed with the marriage, you shouldn't be the one to force him Mr. Kim. Let your wife and Geun Young do the talking. Trust me, women are good at this," Tae Jun convinced the old man to take a step back.

 

"Geurae! I trust your judgement. Just send the 'body' away once the wedding is over. If need be.. destroy it. I don't want my son to cry on someone else's grave when he became a husband to Geun Young. It wouldn't be good to our reputation, arachi?"

"Ne Mr. Kim. I'll do as you wish.. and I also hope you will keep your promise about the CEO position."

Mr. Kim smirked as he patted on the man's shoulder, "Gwaenchana. A promise is a promise! Anyway.. well done Mr. Tae Jun. At least one of my problems is gone. Now Jong Kook has no reason not to marry Geun Young!"

 

From afar, a group of people were marching towards the men. Two of them were approaching with an angry face, whereas the others were trying to console the furious ones. "You better have a good explanation for this! I don't like how my daughter being treated! Is your son going to marry my daughter or trying to run away from his responsibility?!" that was the first question threw by Mr. Moon the moment he met with his business partner. Being the subject in discussion, Geun Young wasn't comfortable with the way her father reacted. She cling onto her father's arm and tried to stop him, "Appa! Please don't create a scene here. There's no need to force Jong Kook oppa to accept me when his heart is not into it. Can we just leave?"

 

"Andwae! That man has embarrassed our family in front of everyone. I will not accept anything less than a marriage!" shouted Mr. Moon with eyes shooting daggers at the Kims.

"Maybe our son is nervous, my friend. Forgive him for saying things that he doesn't mean to. Why don't my wife and Geun Young have a talk with him? Perhaps he needs a little bit of encouragement," Mr. Kim forced a smile.

Mrs. Moon chipped in, "Aish.. just give them another chance, yeobo. It could be true that Jong Kook was only nervous."

 

When Mr. Moon has agreed, Tae Jun took the ladies into the room where Jong Kook was at. While waiting outside, suddenly the men heard Mrs. Moon screamed. They came in rushing and were surprised by what they saw. Jong Kook was lying unconscious by Ji Hyo's side - holding a small empty bottle that labelled as 'poison' in his hand which look like he just committed suicide. "Jong Kook! Jong Kook my son! What have you done?!" Mr. Kim immediately ran to his child - wrapping him tight in his arms and pulled him closer to his chest. When he realized that no one was taking any action, he shouted frantically at Tae Jun, "Why did you just stand there?! Call the ambulance!"

 

But this time Tae Jun refused to follow his instruction, "It's too late for that, Mr. Kim. You just 'murdered' three innocent lives. Are you happy now?"