The Tears We Cried

How Come You Don't Know?

He took the document - torn it into smaller pieces and threw them aside as if it's not important to him. "What are you doing?!" she asked, surprised that he destroyed the divorce paper that she had signed earlier. Her heart skipped a beat when he suddenly stood up from the couch, took a step forward till it's just a few inches away from her. Jong Kook shot a deep stare into his wife's eyes, then cupped her face in his hands as he slowly approached her cherry lips. "Mianada. I just realized that I'm not ready to let you go. I still love you.. Song Ji Hyo. Forget about my stupid idea of getting a divorce and let me stay here with you," he softly whispered then pecked her lips the same way he did on their wedding day.

 

"Yaa Kim Jong Kook! Can you NOT look at me like that? Just take this document and leave!" Ji Hyo's voice woke him up from his daydream, to which became a disappointment to the Commander when he realized that his 'confession' to her wasn't real. Reluctantly, he accepted the white envelope from his wife, but Jong Kook wasn't sure what he supposed to do with it. He wished he had the courage to torn it just as he imagined, so that he can work on rebuilding their relationship as husband-and-wife before it's too late. However, his logic sense convinced him otherwise. "Thank you for this. I know it's not easy for you to sign it.. but it's not the reason I came," he said and put down the envelope next to him.

 

Ji Hyo felt like her husband was talking in riddles, "Then what other reason you have to be here? To invite me to your wedding day?"

"Why do you always brought up that same topic? And please.. don't use that tone on me," Jong Kook was really upset by her cold response.

"Wae? Were you expecting for my blessing then?"

"Yaa! Will you stop making assumption?! I'm here because I wanted to see you and.. and.." he stammered.

"And what Kim Jong Kook?!" she raised her voice.

He nervously replied, "And I want to give us one more chance."

 

She scoffed. Ji Hyo was expecting an apology from her husband for breaking her heart, instead he was stepping on her dignity with his egoism. "You? Give us a chance? That's funny. I don't remember 'asking' for it," she threw out her disappointment on him and turned her face away before she break down in tears. Jong Kook let out a heavy sigh, knowing that once again he had chosen the wrong words to explain himself to Ji Hyo. He got up from the couch and tried to held her hand, but she refused to let him touch her, "Don't feel sorry for me. I don't need your sympathy."

 

Though she kept pushing him away, Jong Kook knew when his wife needs a hug. So despite her strong resistant, he held her tight from behind and cried when she does. In that position, he could only apologized for what he did. Eventually Ji Hyo became weak in her husband's arms. It's been a long time since he held her that way, therefore her heart still fluttered for the same man she loves. For a second Ji Hyo wanted to forgive her husband and forget about their silly argument on getting a divorce, but somehow she just couldn't do it. She can't pretend that she's fine when she's not. How can she be when he wasn't ready to fight for their marriage?

 

"You can't just come and leave as you please, Kim Jong Kook. If you really want to end this.. just quietly walk away and don't look back. Don't make it hard for me to forget you because you know.. it hurts," her voice was trembling as she cried in his cuddle, and suddenly her vision began to get blurry. 'What is wrong with me? Why do I feel.. suffocated?' Ji Hyo gently massaged her temple, yet the pain doesn't go away. Jong Kook who noticed her illness, began to worry, "Gwaenchanayo? Are you sick?"

 

As she didn't want to trouble him, Ji Hyo just shook her head in denial. But her body was getting heavier, then all of the sudden she collapsed. "Ji Hyo! Yeobo what's wrong? Omo.. your skin is burning!" Jong Kook became panic when his wife had lost conscious, so he quickly carried her to the bedroom and put on a blanket over her weak body. He touch her forehead - it was slightly hot. Afraid that Ji Hyo was developing fever, Jong Kook immediately went to the kitchen and prepared a cold towel with some medicine.

 

As he placed the cold towel on her forehead, Ji Hyo slowly regained her conscious. "Go.. away, " she murmured, then she dozed off. For a while, he stayed by her side. His fingers naturally caressed her hair, and his eyes never leave her face. Jong Kook sighed. He was really worried about her. His wife may look stronger on the outside, but on the inside she is as fragile as any woman who is broken hearted. It seems that their argument has affected Ji Hyo physically and emotionally, to which Jong Kook blamed himself as the reason for her misery.

 

"Yeobo.. mianada. I know you are expecting a man who is a great husband to you.. who will always make you happy and never afraid to show his feeling for his wife in front of the others. Maybe you've never mentioned it, but I can tell that you're longing to shout to the whole world about your marriage.. which right now you can't because of who we are. Honestly I don't know what scares me more. Losing you as my wife.. or watching you suffer for not having the marriage life that you deserve. What should I do, Ji Hyo? What can I do to make you happy?" he lowered his head to hide his own tears of guilt, unable to find the right answer to his own questions.

 

While he was drowning in his emotion, Jong Kook received a phone call from his father:

 

Jong Kook: Yoboseyo.. ne appa. Why are you calling me at this hour?

Mr. Kim: Wae? I caught you at a bad time?

Jong Kook: Ah ni. I was just asking. Anything urgent?

Mr. Kim: I'm calling because I want you to join our dinner with the Moon's family. We're going to discuss about your marriage to Geun Young..

Jong Kook: (hesitated) But appa.. I don't think that..

Mr. Kim: Don't be rude to your future in law, Jong Kook. They've agreed to meet us despite their busy schedule. So you should respect their time and show up!

Jong Kook: (sighed) It's not that I don't respect them, appa. It's just that.. I'm not ready.

Mr. Kim: Mworago? Not ready for what? Yaa.. you're forty now Kim Jong Kook! Old enough to get marry! What else is holding you back? Are you a gay or something?

Jong Kook: Of course I'm straight! It's just.. I'm too old for Geun Young. She should find someone better for her age. It's unfair for her to be paired with me.

Mr. Kim: I've already discussed that with her parents and they don't mind about the .. so does she. You know the Moons are my long-term business partner, therefore your marriage will benefit both families in many ways.. arachi?

Jong Kook: But appa.. what if I find someone who's suit my age. Someone like.. well.. maybe Song Ji Hyo?

Mr. Kim: (laughing) Isn't she got a man already in that chinese entertainment show.. what do you call it.. "We Got Married"? And in Running Man she has Gary, right? Yaa.. that woman is truly something!

Jong Kook: But it's not for real appa! If you really know her.. she's better than any woman I met.

Mr. Kim: Well.. I do agree that she's pretty and suit your age. But I don't want my daughter-in-law to have so many on-screen relationships when she's married to my son. That's not good for our reputation.

Jong Kook: You can't judge an actress like that, appa. She's doing her job..

Mr. Kim: Arrasso.. arrasso. I'm not going to argue with you on that anymore. Just remember.. dinner tomorrow at 8. I'll send you the location in a short while. Don't be late!

 

After ending the phone call with his father, Jong Kook focused back to his wife who was sailing in her dream. He checked on her temperature once again, then left a note to remind Ji Hyo to take her medicine. With love, Jong Kook planted a kiss on her forehead. A drop of his tear fell onto her skin, but she couldn't feel it. As he walked towards the door, Jong Kook took one last look at his wife, "Mianada. I couldn't take good care of you as I should, so you must look after yourself and don't be sad anymore. Just as you wish.. I will quietly disappear. I will no longer be your reason to cry, and I am not holding you back from finding your new love. Just be happy with him, Ji Hyo.. no matter who that person is."