The Place We Visited

How Come You Don't Know?

Her words were confusing. To him, she wasn't speaking in a plain language. There's a 'hidden' message in the statement that she made, to which Jong Kook was afraid to find out. He tried to reflect their conversation that morning, but nothing seemed to be peculiar or could have triggered the way she responded just now. The more he thought about it, the more he felt suffocated and unsecured. "Yeobo.. are you sure you're okay?" Jong Kook became extremely anxious.

 

"Why do you keep asking me that? Of course I am fine! Mianhae, oppa. I got to go. Need to rush now. Bye," Ji Hyo suddenly ended the call without explaining the reason. Jong Kook immediately redialing her number, but the line couldn't get through. He let out a heavy sigh, "What is it now, Ji Hyo aah? Why can't you tell me the truth?". Though his wife didn't say anything, but he felt like Ji Hyo was thinking of 'giving up' their marriage. If not, why would she responded to him the way she did?

 

That night, her eyes refused to let her sleep. Her mind was actively debating whether to listen to Jong Kook's mother (which seems like a shorter way to be accepted by the Kims) or to work extremely hard and sacrifice her 'freedom' just to get the approval from her father-in-law. Either way, their marriage is at stake. She may or may not be welcomed in his family, hence there's no guarantee that Jong Kook will remain as her husband.

 

"How will Bo Lin take it if I tell him about my marriage?" she suddenly worried about her on-screen partner, as her 'date' with the young Taiwan's actor will resume the next day. Because she was already bounded by contract and has completed the filming of first episode, it's impossible for Ji Hyo to quit from her role. Furthermore, she had to give her full commitment to the show i.e. to make viewers believe the interaction between her and Bo Lin. But she also knew by doing that, her husband will be broken hearted and her in-laws may not be able to accept what she did to him.

 

When her alarm clock screamed at 7am, Ji Hyo just realized that she missed her beauty sleep that she needed to recharge her energy. With a heavy feet, she dragged herself to take a shower. never stop cursing - blaming herself for 'over-thinking' her marriage problem and neglecting her own needs. Once she's done dressing up, Ji Hyo went to grab a cup of Americano from her own kitchen to keep her awake. Then she took her car key, walking to the front door and getting ready to drive herself to the shooting location.

 

She the radio and played the mp3 song from her usb drive. It began with "The Seasons" by CN Blue, then it jumped to Jong Kook's song "To Her Man". She couldn't help but wonder - was Jong Kook able to 'foresee' the future of their relationship? Why was the lyrics seems like a 'message' from Jong Kook to Bo Lin.. asking the young man to take good care of her on his behalf?

 

Her imagination was interrupted by a phone call from Jong Kook, so she immediately answered it via bluetooth connection. "Yoboseyo.. good morning oppa," she greeted him as usual while still focusing on the road.

Jong Kook was happy to hear her voice, "Good morning, yeobo. How's my wife today?".

"I'm good. Now on my way to the shooting. Wae oppa?" she plainly asked.

"Nothing. I just want to check out whether you're okay. So you're driving now?"

"Ne. I'm meeting Bo Lin at Sam Cheong Dong."

"Sam Cheong Dong? What do you plan to do there?" jealousy of a husband was taking over the conversation.

Ji Hyo chuckled, "Aah oppa. I'm just taking him around to see the place."

"But why there? That's OUR place.. remember?"

 

The way Jong Kook emphasized the fact that Sam Cheong Dong is one of the places that they went to for a secret date made Ji Hyo burst out laughing. She recalled how difficult it was for them to walk among the public - wearing face mask, cap and sunglasses just to hide their identity as SpartAce. Though it was uncomfortable, but they both had a good time. It felt like they were on a Running Man mission i.e. go on a date as a couple without being notice, of which the mission was successfully completed.

 

"Because it's our place.. that's the reason why I choose to go there. I need to have something to remind me of you, oppa. So even when I'm with another man.. it's you who I'm thinking of," she smiled happily as she explained to her man. Listening to her answered made Jong Kook cheerful again, "Aah.. jinjja? Aren't you worried if you accidentally call him with my name?".

 

"Aish.. oppa. That won't happen. I'm an actress.. remember? So I can play my part very well," Ji Hyo defended herself. After a brief silence, Ji Hyo prompted a question to her man, "Oppa.. will it be okay for me to call Bo Lin as my boyfriend?". At first Jong Kook didn't respond, but when she repeated her question, he finally replied, "I guess it will be weird if you don't.. isn't it?". From his tone, Ji Hyo knew that Jong Kook was upset. But the fact that he still support her career made her thankful for having him as her husband, "Gomawo oppa.. and forgive me in advance if I do anything that hurt your feeling. You know it's just for the show."

 

As he didn't want his wife to feel guilty, Jong Kook just laughed it out, "Geokjong ma! I believe in you more than anyone. Just don't be too friendly with him when the camera is off!"

"Arasso.. arasso! I will not entertain any man other than for my work. You can count on me, oppa!"

"Good. Now off you go to see your boyfriend. But no kissing on your first date!" he warned her - literally.

That's when Ji Hyo took the chance to , "But isn't it weird for me to refuse his kiss? And it's not like I haven't kiss other men in movies or dramas before like Jin Hyuk.. Yo Han.."

"Yaa! Are you trying to make me jealous?" he shouted.

Ji Hyo giggled, "I don't think I need to try, oppa. You're always a jealous husband.. aren't you?"

When his wife suddenly screamed over the phone, Jong Kook became panic, "Omo.. omo! What is it?! What happened?! Why are you screaming?!"

"Aigoo! I missed the junction oppa.. now I'm going to be late! I hope Bo Lin won't be mad at me. Oppa.. I think we should hang up now, or else I will not be there on time," she replied in a complaining mode.

"Aish.. my mongji is so easily distracted. Arasso.. let's continue later on. Shall we have dinner at 8?"

"Actually.. my shooting will be late till night. So dinner is included," she was worried how Jong Kook will respond to her answer.

"Included? You mean you'll be working till dinner time?"

She has already expected his reaction, "I have to join the crew as well.. since I'll be working with them for months."

"Arasso.. then text me when you're home. Saranghaeyo!" though he was disappointed, but Jong Kook did his best to hide it from Ji Hyo.

 

"Saranghaeyo.. Kim Jong Kook oppa," she ended the call and focused back on getting to her destination. Ji Hyo was feeling nervous for arriving slightly late on her first date, so she immediately apologized to everyone at the scene before she begin. From a distance, she saw Bo Lin waiting for her presence - looking lonely by the street under the freezing cold weather. As the cameras start to roll, her heart was beating fast. Ji Hyo kept thinking of the best way to explain about her lateness - but without mentioning anything that relates to her husband. 'Be calm Ji Hyo. Just enjoy your first date with Bo Lin and everything will be fine,' she approached him with a smile - and her partner's face was beaming the moment he saw her.