The Rules We Negotiated

How Come You Don't Know?

Despite having less than five hours to sleep, her eyes refused to close. All night long, Ji Hyo kept staring at the ceiling - tossing and turning on her bed as she tried to figure out ways to negotiate with Mr. Kim about her employment at his office. The fact that her credibility in the eyes of Jong Kook's father was in question has made it difficult for Ji Hyo to strike a conversation with the old man. Not only he 'disliked' her as a person, but one wrong move might cause her to lose her husband forever.

 

Time went so fast for the Ace when her alarm clock rang at 5am. She got up from her bed and dragged herself to the bathroom, however Ji Hyo almost fell to the floor when she suddenly lost her balance. The actress felt dizzy, as if the room was spinning around when she tried to take a step. So she paused - knowing that something wasn't right with her physical condition.

 

"Why am I feeling like this?" Ji Hyo asked herself as she sat down by her bed, not able to walk even for a close distance. Her heart was beating out of rhythm, which made her felt queasy all of the sudden. Immediately she forced herself to run to the bathroom - throwing up at the sink for almost five minutes. Ji Hyo was too weak to stand, but since she needed to make an urgent call to Mr. Kim, the actress gathered her last strength to take a shower and got herself ready before 7am. Reluctantly, she took her handphone and began to dial a number.

 

Her nervousness was getting worse when Jong Kook's father answered the call after the third beep, "Song Ji Hyo ssi.. I've been waiting for your call after I received your message last night. Have you decided to change your mind?" Mr. Kim scoffed as he was expecting for the actress to finally agreed with his term. Ji Hyo took a deep breath and cleared before she speaks, "Not really. I'm all prepared to report duty this morning.. but something urgent came up and I had to ask your permission to start my work tomorrow instead of today."

 

"What makes you think that I can give you such flexibility? If you really can't make it.. then do as I told and you will be free from any responsibility to this family."

"I know it won't be easy for me to convince you, but trust me you will regret your decision soon if you don't give me that chance. The thing is.. your son is very much in love with me, Mr. Kim. He wouldn't let me go even if I ask him to. Unless you want to lose your son because of your hatred towards me, I'd suggest we should come to an agreement on this."

"So you're threatening me now?!"

"Not threatening.. but negotiating for the benefit of you and me. It wouldn't be nice for a daughter-in-law to show disrespect to her husband's parents, so that's why I'm asking you politely though I don't need to oblige to your unreasonable term, Mr. Kim."

The old man forced a laugh, "You're such a cunning woman, Song Ji Hyo ssi. No one dare to speak to me that way.. but you did. Geurae! Because I like your fighting spirit, I'm willing to negotiate. Instead of this morning, I allow you to report duty at 3pm.. today. However since you need to fulfil your working hours, you can only leave the office at 11pm. Are we clear?"

 

Ji Hyo knew she had no choice, but to accept the condition. Getting Mr. Kim to give some 'extra hours' for her to complete the Running Man shooting was better than nothing, despite she had to break her promise to Jong Kook which was to send him off at the airport around 5pm. Right after her phone conversation with Mr. Kim has ended, she prepared herself to go to the filming location. Since her head was still dizzy, Ji Hyo took her medicine before joining the rest of the casts to complete the mission.

 

"How's your conversation with my father?" Jong Kook couldn't wait to know the outcome once he got some privacy to speak to his wife. Ji Hyo smiled, "I think it went well.. but I still need to come to work at 3." The Commander wasn't happy to hear the news as he was hoping that she got to excuse herself for that day, "Waeyo? Does that mean you can't send me to the airport?". Jong Kook heaved a sigh. He was slightly disappointed, so Ji Hyo naturally consoled her husband by focusing on the bright side. "Gwaenchana oppa. At least he still wants to give me that chance," she tapped lightly on his shoulder.

 

His eyes were locked on hers. She was smiling, as if it wasn't a concern for her to respect his father's instruction. Jong Kook held her hand, but he was surprised to feel her cold skin. "Omo, yeobo.. are you sick?" the Commander attempted to touch his wife's forehead, but she wouldn't let him. Ji Hyo doesn't want her husband to worry about her, "It's just the weather. I'm totally fine, oppa. Kaja! We need to continue with the shoot." The Ace immediately walked away before the Commander could ask more, so he just followed her step from behind.

 

Still, Jong Kook knew that Ji Hyo wasn't in a good condition. She wasn't active in the game, and most of the time the actress seemed to look tired. Her skin was slightly pale than the usual, but Ji Hyo kept saying that she was okay to proceed. So Jong Kook had to let her to continue with the mission until the filming is over. The crews were ready to leave and have lunch at the nearest restaurant, but Ji Hyo excused herself from joining the team. As he was very concerned with his wife's condition, Jong Kook also skipped the lunch invitation and decided to accompany Ji Hyo to her car.

 

"You need to see a doctor, yeobo. I'm really worried about you," Jong Kook opened the door for the actress and helped her to get into the car.

Once she fastened her seat belt, Ji Hyo the engine then smiled to her husband, "I will, oppa. But you need to go and have lunch with them.. or else you'll miss your flight later. I really have to go now as I need to be at the office by 3."

He nodded with a big sigh, "Arasso. But don't forget to take your lunch as well. I don't want my wife to fall sick when I'm not around. So take good care of yourself, arachi? Or do you want Kwang Soo to go with you?"

"Aish oppa. We shouldn't trouble him with our problem twenty-four seven. He needs his space too."

When Jong Kook didn't say a word, Ji Hyo continued, "Gwaenchana. I can take care of myself till you come home. So don't think too much about me, arasso? Annyeong oppa."

 

She waved goodbye to the Commander before driving away from the scene, leaving behind her husband who was still worried about his wife. Jong Kook was contemplating to believe that Ji Hyo will be alright while he was gone, and the fact that she was about to confront his father made him more nervous. Part of him wanted to chase after his wife - cancelling his trip to Hong Kong and just stay by her side, but on the other hand he knew that Ji Hyo wouldn't allow him to act irrationally. "Please protect my Ji Hyo, dear Lord. I can't lose her. Not now.. not ever," Jong Kook prayed for his wife before he left.