The Assumption We Had

How Come You Don't Know?

"Song Ji Hyo ssi.. Song Ji Hyo ssi! Gwaenchanayo?" her mind was back to reality when the Producer called out to her after she didn't respond to his question. Ji Hyo nodded and forced a smile, hoping to hide the sadness in her eyes as Jong Kook's words kept cluttering her brain. She was still upset by the argument they had yesterday, and now it's affecting her focus on the discussion at work. Feeling guilty for getting distracted, the actress seek for clarification, "You were saying.."

 

The Producer chuckled, "I'm saying we will start shooting your first meeting with your on-screen boyfriend this Thursday. Are you okay with that?". "Arraso.. I think it should be fine with my schedule," she confirmed her appearance for the filming of the first episode of "We're In Love" with a mysterious, non-Korean star. After agreeing on the details with the Producer of that show, Ji Hyo returned to her car and locked herself there. She took a deep breath, wondering if she will be happier with a fake relationship than her current marriage to Jong Kook. Obviously her heart still belongs to her husband, but she doesn't know whether his love is still hers to claim.

 

"Yeobo.. what happened to us? Why must we hurt each other like this? I really miss you," her eyes were filled with tears while staring at a picture of Jong Kook that she kept as her smartphone wallpaper. Unconsciously, her finger reopened all the messages from her husband from the first day of their marriage, to which she compared with the recent one she received 8 days ago. A realization then came to her. They both were happy (and deeply in love) in the first 2 months of their marriage life, but it all ended with a single argument they had.

 

Ji Hyo admitted that she wasn't thinking deep when they agreed to live separately just to keep their relationship off the radar, but soon it affected her emotion when she began to feel 'lonely' despite having a husband. Although they are married, they didn't share a room or have breakfast like other newly wedded couple. It's the same reason why having or raising children is off the topic for them both as getting pregnant will lead to more chaos and rumours especially for Ji Hyo. People will assume that she 'slept' with some random guy and got herself in trouble, of which such rumours will ruin her credibility as an actress and a woman.

 

She was startled by the ringing of her phone, but more in shock when the call came from Jong Kook. Her heart was beating fast as she doesn't know his reason for reaching her through phone, but assuming they haven't reconciled their differences, Ji Hyo prepared for another big argument with that man. "Yoboseyo. What do you want now?" Ji Hyo gave her best effort to sound normal, but Jong Kook knew her too well. "You should stop asking me that same question at the beginning of our conversation.. and have you been crying?" his question caught her by surprise.

 

"No I'm not! I.. I had sore throat," she made up a lie.

"You can't fool your husband, Ji Hyo. I know everything about you."

"Jinjja? Then can you tell how much I hate talking to you right now?"

Jong Kook sighed, "Please don't start it.."

"I'm tired, oppa! I'm tired having to figure out what you really want from me. You've said you want to let me go, so why can't you just.. leave me alone?!"

 

"I CAN'T!" he suddenly screamed, to which leading them to an awkward silence. Jong Kook doesn't know why he felt 'angry' when she reminded him of their plan to get divorce, but he just hates it. His heart was in pain knowing that she will no longer be his to keep, and even broken when there's another man waiting to take his place. "We still have a lot to work on together, Ji Hyo. Don't push me away like this. Jaebal," he ended up pleading to his wife, hoping to be given another chance to set things right. As a man, Jong Kook wants to keep his dignity high, however he couldn't afford to do that when he's about to lose the woman he loves.

 

But Ji Hyo was too hurt by his decision to leave. She doesn't believe that Jong Kook will ever regret that, as she already asked him to confirm his request for a divorce more than once. "Me? Push you away? Look who's talking," Ji Hyo scoffed in tears - caught in between her vengeance and love towards the same man. She was battling within herself whether or not to let her husband manipulates her life the way he did, when part of her was ready to start over with a new beginning.

 

"I understand that you're still mad at me.. and I don't blame you for hating me. But please.. for once. Just listen to what I want to say."

"Give me one good reason why I should," she was still reluctant to hear him out.

But Jong Kook refused to give up, "Because what I want to tell you is very important to both of us."

"So important like.. reminding me to sign the divorce paper? Well if you can't wait any longer, I can sign it by this evening," she made an assumption.

"I'm not going to argue with you on that. Can we just meet up later? Maybe around 7pm?"

"I don't feel like going out tonight," she declined.

 

"Then I'm coming to your place. I'll see you at 7," he made the arrangement without waiting for her agreement, ended the call before she could turn him down. Ji Hyo was left in confusion. She doesn't understand why Jong Kook was so determined to meet her in person, when she could just pass the signed paper to him via mail later. "Why are you doing this to me, Kim Jong Kook? Why can't you just.. leave me?" she asked those questions to herself, to which the answers are not with her. After her emotion has settled down, she drove herself back to her place - reaching her home just 2 hours before 7pm.

 

Ji Hyo went straight into her bedroom, searching for the document that was given by Jong Kook at the dinner table. Once she found it, she took it out from the envelope and sat at her working space. For a long moment she stared at the title of the paper, then let out a heavy sigh as she pick up her signing pen. Somehow it was difficult for her to put down her signature at the designated box, but she managed to force herself to do it. Finally after days of putting it on hold, Ji Hyo signed the divorce paper - sealed it back into its envelope and keep it at a place that's visible to her eyes.

 

She glanced at her wall clock, counting minutes before she has to face her husband and handover the signed divorce document to him. To 'wash away' her sadness, Ji Hyo took a long shower and put on her favourite t-shirt. She went into her kitchen and made herself a cup of coffee, then threw her body on the couch as she filled her 'waiting time' by watching a korean drama on tv.

 

About 10 minutes before 7pm, her doorbell rang. Ji Hyo lazily got up to 'welcome' her visitor at the door, "Come in. Sorry I don't prepare dinner as I'm not expecting a long conversation." Jong Kook has understood her 'signal'. "Gwaenchana, I know you must be tired," he said and ushered himself to the couch in the living room. Once he sat down, Ji Hyo handed over a white envelope to him. "What's this?" he asked, to which she casually replied, "What you came for. I've signed the divorce paper."