The Surprise We Unexpected

How Come You Don't Know?

Jong Kook was on his way to the gym when he received a call from his mother. "Eomma.. how have you been?" he asked, as it's been a while for them to have a mother-and-son conversation since he got married. Mrs. Kim was very cheerful once she heard her son's voice, "Your father and I are doing good, Jong Kook. How's my dear son?".

 

"Healthy as always, eomma.. Ji Hyo took good care of me and I've never been happier than I am today. By the way, don't you want to know about your daughter-in-law?" Jong Kook tried to get his mother to talk about his wife.

But Mrs. Kim wasn't interested, "I'm sure she's doing fine with that young man out there."

"Ji Hyo was just doing her job eomma," Jong Kook defended his wife.

"How can cheating on her husband becomes a job? Anyway.. let's not talk about her. Jong Kook aah.. can you spare time to have lunch with eomma? We haven't done that for quite some time.. have we?"

"Geurae. Let's do that. Where do you want to meet? Is appa joining?" Jong Kook was slightly uncomfortable should his father will attend it as well.

"Your father is a busy man. He couldn't join us."

 

Jong Kook felt relieved knowing that Mr. Kim will not be around for the lunch. It's not that he hates his own father, but since his old man has been strongly opposing his marriage to Ji Hyo, Jong Kook was a bit hesitant to meet him. Therefore, he immediately agreed the moment his mother confirmed that Mr. Kim wasn't able to make it.

 

At noon, the mother-and-son met at a fine dining restaurant that they usually went to as a family. Jong Kook hugged Mrs. Kim with a smile, happy to see the face of a woman who raised him as a fine man. But judging from the plates that were prepared on the table, Jong Kook made a random guess, "Are we expecting another person? I thought you said that appa couldn't come?". "Not appa.. but I invited someone to have lunch with us," his mother replied.

 

Just then someone came from behind Jong Kook and greeted the Kims. He turned around, and was in shock to see the unexpected guest. "Why are you here?" that was the first question he asked the moment he saw Geun Young's face. The young woman was hurt by his reaction, so she coldly replied, "Your mother invited me for lunch.. but I didn't know you'll be here." "Mian Geun Young ssi.. I hope you don't mind if my son join us," Mrs. Kim smiled sheepishly as if it was a coincidence for the Moon's daughter to meet up with her son. Then she stared at Jong Kook, "You should be respectful to our guest, dear. Pull a chair for her."

 

Reluctantly, Jong Kook obeyed his mother's instruction and invited Geun Young to seat next to him. The actress thanked Jong Kook, but they both avoided from looking into each other's eyes. Because he wasn't comfortable with Geun Young's presence, Jong Kook just kept silence and let his mother to have a conversation with her. "Jong Kook aah.. why don't you take Geun Young ssi for shopping after this? There's a new mall not far from here which has good designer clothes," Mrs. Kim gave another 'instruction' to her son.

 

After trying hard to give excuses to his mother, Jong Kook finally surrendered. Mrs. Kim was very persistent and even threatened him with her 'sad face' when he refused, so as a son Jong Kook had to respect his mother's request. However, he emphasized to the actress before they left, "I'm only doing this for my mother."

 

Geun Young nodded. She was also unhappy with the way Jong Kook treated her, which triggered her desire to revenge for his cold behaviour. "Just to be clear.. I am not desperate to marry you anyway, but our parents have been pushing me to give you another chance," she said as they got into Jong Kook's car. The Commander smirked, "I don't need to tell you twice that I'm a married man.. do I?". She scoffed with arms crossed in front of her chest, "Don't brag about your marriage with me when you can't even convinced your parents to accept your wife. Speaking of that.. you haven't told me who is that unlucky woman of yours."

 

"You are no match to her anyway.. if that's what you want to know," he mocked the young actress, to which has offended her feeling as a woman.

Geun Young shot a sharp glare to Jong Kook, "I think you have underestimated who I am, oppa. Remember.. my parents are very influential. Even your father shows great respect to my family. So don't try to be sarcastic here when it's just the two of us."

Jong Kook fake a laugh, "I was being honest, Geun Young. If you can't handle the truth.. then I can't do much as it's not my job to convince you."

 

Though they kept bickering at each other in the car, the 'odd couple' still went to the mall that was mentioned by Mrs. Kim as the old lady has made an arrangement for them to visit a new boutique owned by Jong Kook's mother. The staff there greeted them with a smile, and took their VIP guests to look around the shop. Geun Young couldn't help from getting excited to try out all the nice dresses, while Jong Kook just stayed at a corner and attached himself to his handphone - hoping to hear some news from his lovely wife who was miles away from where he's at.

 

When she first found out that she had to share the accommodation with Bo Lin, Ji Hyo was slightly anxious. The villa has two bedrooms, but it comes with lots of bugs around the area. Though she hates to admit, having Bo Lin nearby was a great relief as he 'bravely' got rid of the bugs - all because she has entomophobia i.e. fear of bugs. Ji Hyo was touched by the young man's attention to her needs when he put great efforts just to make sure that she can sleep peacefully at night. Once he declared her bedroom is free from the small creatures, Ji Hyo finally has the courage to sleep on her bed.

 

Right before she closed her eyes, a message got through her number. It was coming from Bo Lin:

'Have a sweet dream, Momo. My bedroom is always open for you should you want me to guard you from the bugs tonight.'

She replied:

'Thanks Bo Lin ssi. I'm good. Goodnight.'

 

Ji Hyo put her handphone away and was about to switch off the table lamp when she received a phone call. Without even looking at the caller ID, she simply assumed it was Bo Lin, "I already replied to you.."

 

"This is Mr. Kim speaking," the caller introduced himself, to which made the actress sprung out of bed.

She was stammering while answering to the old man, "Mi.. mianhaeyo Mr. Kim. I thought you're.."

Jong Kook's father laughed, "Are you expecting anyone?"

"No.. no.. I wasn't. Why are you calling, Mr. Kim?" Ji Hyo wondered if it has anything to do with her 'job' at the Kim's office.

"Nothing much. I just want to share some good news with you.. which involved my son."

"Good news?"

"I'll send you some pictures.. in case you were wondering what your husband is doing while you're not around. Goodnight, Ji Hyo ssi."

 

Just a few seconds after the call ended, she received few messages with attachment of images. Ji Hyo doesn't know why, but she began to feel nervous as she opened the content. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw the pictures sent by her father-in-law. The caption underneath the photos stating, "Jong Kook and his future wife on a date. They look great together, aren't they?"