The Stories We Told

How Come You Don't Know?

He took another shot and slammed the glass on the table. Jong Kook wanted to pour more alcohol into his glass, but his friend Jung Nam stopped him. "You had enough, Kook. Now start talking. What is wrong with you?" Jung Nam was getting worried as he watched how miserable Jong Kook was. The Commander laughed, "I didn't do anything wrong! She did." "She? She who?" Jung Nam wasn't clear about the person that Jong Kook was referring to.

 

"You just can't trust a pretty face, my friend. Today she's yours.. but the next day she will turn her back and run away," Jong Kook babbled - half conscious.

Jung Nam randomly guessed, "Love problem?"

"Love is stupid, Nam. No.. no. She is stupid. Does she really think she can fool me?!"

Jung Nam giggled, "Yaa.. you've never told me that you have a girlfriend.. and suddenly you sat here crying because of a woman?"

"Who said I'm crying? I'm a tough guy.. not a weak one."

"Seeing you getting drunk like this makes you a weak man, Kook. Unless.. you tell me exactly what happened. Then I can understand."

"There's this woman.. she's pretty, smart and has the most beautiful smile I've ever seen. She makes a man's heart goes wild whenever she's near.. and her lips.. you just want to kiss them and attach yourself to her for a long time. I thought it would be easy to love such a woman.. but I forgot that other men are looking at her as well. The moment I took my eyes off her.. poof! She ran into the arms of another man. Do you understand me now?"

"Are you sure that's what she did? Maybe it was just your assumption?" Jung Nam tried to consider other possibilities.

But Jong Kook refused to listen, "You don't know this woman as much as I do, Nam. She cheated on me with a younger man that she met on a stupid show that forced strangers to fall in love for the sake of entertainment. I shouldn't have let her do it.. cause now she seems to be taking it too seriously."

Jung Nam tried to figure out the person based on Jong Kook's description, "Fall in love on a show? With a younger man? Who could that be.. yaa! Are you telling me that your girlfriend is Song Ji Hyo?!"

Jong Kook covered Jung Nam's mouth with his hand, "Sshh! It's a secret. No one is supposed to know that."

Jung Nam removed the Commander's hand from his mouth, "Since when? Isn't she with that rapper.. Gary?"

"No. She's mine.. but I'm not too sure anymore," Jong Kook picked up the bottle to pour drink into his glass.

Again Jung Nam stopped him from taking another shot of alcohol, "Aish.. this guy! Do you know what you'll lose if you let go such an amazing woman? Someone like her will always have guys chasing after.. but you can't blame Ji Hyo for that! You should fight to get her back. Now don't waste your time and call her to apologize!"

"Andwae! She's the one who should be sorry for cheating on me. I'm a man! A man shouldn't succumb to a woman like her."

"Yaa! Can't you drop your ego for a second and call her now?!" Jung Nam was losing his patience.

 

Unfortunately, Jong Kook has lost his conscious and dropped his head on the table. Jung Nam got up from his chair and went to his band mate - digging his hand into the Commander's pocket to search for his handphone. Once he found it, Jung Nam unlocked the screen by guessing the secret code. "Whoah.. you're still using the same password?" Jung Nam babbled while exploring Jong Kook's contact list. Once he found the number that he needed, Jung Nam pressed the call button.

 

"Yoboseyo oppa! Oppa.. mianhae," Ji Hyo was assuming that she was talking to the owner of the number.

Awkwardly, Jung Nam introduced himself, "Ji Hyo aah.. actually this is Jung Nam oppa. Jong Kook passed out at his house after we drank some wine. Can you come over and look after him? I need to go back now."

As she didn't know that Jung Nam has found out about her relationship with Jong Kook, Ji Hyo pretended to be clueless, "Mwo? But why me? I'm not really close to him."

"I don't know who else to call, Ji Hyo aah. Everybody seems to be busy. Jaebal.. I can't leave him just like this. He's in a bad shape if you ask me. I don't think he should be staying alone."

The moment she heard about her husband's condition, Ji Hyo immediately agreed, "Arasso.. arasso. I'll be there as soon as I can. Give me about 30 minutes?"

"Okay, sure. I'll wait for you."

"Thank you for telling me, Jung Nam oppa!" she ended the call.

 

Just as promised, Ji Hyo arrived at her husband's house around 10:15pm. She bowed as soon as Jung Nam opened the door for her. "Nice to meet you, Ji Hyo. Come in.. Jong Kook is over there," he pointed to the Commander. She went to see her man after putting her stuff on a table, "What happened to Jong Kook oppa?". Jung Nam smiled, "He got a serious 'heart problem'.. but I'm sure he'll be fine if you take good care of him."

 

"You're leaving now?" Ji Hyo asked when she saw Jung Nam wearing his jacket and headed to the front door. He nodded, "Tell Jong Kook that he can thank me later. See you again, Ji Hyo!". After Jung Nam left, she locked the door and went to the kitchen to prepare soup for her husband. Then she entered his bedroom, took out a blanket and placed it on him.

 

Ji Hyo sat on the floor next to Jong Kook who was sleeping on the couch and just watched her man from a close distance. She touched his face - softly so that she wouldn't wake him up. As he wasn't aware of her presence, Ji Hyo took the chance to 'communicate' with him. "Oppa.. I am really sorry that I can't be a good wife to you. I should have make you happy, but I keep hurting you over and over. You're right. I'm taking you for granted. I thought you will always support me in everything I do.. but I forgot how hard it is for you."

 

She rested her head next to his and held his hand, "I wish you would know how much I love you, oppa. You're the only man I have. The one that matters to me. Though you see me smiling next to another guy.. that's because I imagined he was you. It's the only way for me to work on my characters in front of the camera without feeling guilty. But what happened in China.. it's really a trap that was set to break us up. Your father wants me to get a divorce from you, which I never agreed. I guess that made him angry, so he sent a 'warning' by turning you against me."

 

Ji Hyo paused for a while before she continued, "Next week.. I'll be working for your father at his office. I'm not sure what kind of position that he will give me.. but it's definitely going to be tough. Honestly I don't know if I will fail or successful in proving myself to your family, however that will not stop me from doing what I can to save our marriage. So please.. don't hate me, oppa. Saranghaeyo."

 

She landed a kiss on his forehead with her eyes closed. A drop of her tears fell onto his skin. Ji Hyo tried her best to cry silently, till she dozed off next to the man she loves who slowly opened his eyes.