The Family We Betrayed

How Come You Don't Know?

They ate breakfast together, then travelled in one car and headed for the same direction - the airport. Yet throughout the day, Ji Hyo hasn't spoken a single word with Tae Jun. She just focused on doing her thing, ignoring the conversation that the man had attempted to have just to break the awkward silence between them. As much as she wanted to avoid him, Ji Hyo had no choice but to sit next to Tae Jun during the flight home to Korea. However, that doesn't stop her from pretending to fall asleep whenever her companion tried to speak to her.

 

"Geurae. I'll keep on talking whether you're listening or not. Honestly I think you're partly to be blamed Seong-Im.. not just Jong Kook. You shouldn't have agreed to hide your marriage in the first place, cause that is the biggest mistake you guys made as a couple. Of course.. you're strong enough to look after yourself, but have you ever considered about the baby? Growing up without a father.. will that be fair to the little one?"

Though she planned to stay quiet, Ji Hyo was emotionally disturbed by his questions and she decided to rebut, "You have no right to judge me, Tae Jun. You don't know what I went through because of the Kims.. so stop trying to be smart here."

"Finally you're talking! I knew you weren't sleeping after all. Seong-Im aah.. jaebal. Think with your mind instead of your heart. You've came this far to save your relationship. Why can't you wait a bit longer and give Jong Kook another chance?"

"To do what? Showing how happy he could be when his father approved his marriage?!"

 

Then she looked away furiously, shutting her eyes tight with arms crossed in front of her chest. Her body language sent a warning to Tae Jun that he shouldn't disturb her, or else she might exploded like a volcano out of anger. Hence they continued the journey in silence, pretending to be a stranger to each other while drowning themselves in their own thoughts. Only when the stewardess came to serve food that they both said a few words.

 

Once the flight landed in Seoul, Ji Hyo decided to go her own way although she was supposed to ride in the same car with Tae Jun. As he couldn't let her disappeared from his watch, Tae Jun followed the Ace closely from behind while calling for 'backup' through a phone call. Within five minutes, a black van stopped next to Ji Hyo and she's now surrounded by 3 men in mask. They quickly took her into the vehicle with and eyes covered - not allowing the actress to scream for help from the people nearby. Everything was done in a flash, so none of the passerby aware of the 'kidnapping' scene at the open area.

 

From his spot, Tae Jun just watched how the men carried out his instruction perfectly. His lips curled upward - satisfied that he was able to have control over the situation. Ji Hyo could have caused him so much trouble if he had failed to 'catch' her, but fortunately Tae Jun has thought of the possibilities. Now that his plan worked perfectly for him, Tae Jun immediately dialed a number from his contact list to report the progress of his secret mission. "Yoboseyo.. ne Mrs. Kim. We've just arrived. Gwaenchana.. my men will send her to you now. They are on their way. Let me know if there's anything else that I can help you with. Ne.. gomabseumnida!"

 

Next, it was Jong Kook who called him. Tae Jun answered the call with a calm voice, "Yoboseyo my brother. How's things over there?"

"All preparations are done. Where's Ji Hyo? Is she with you?" Jong Kook was slightly anxious as he hasn't heard from them for almost a week.

Tae Jun giggled, "Yaa.. is she the only person you miss? Don't you want to know how I'm doing?"

"Mian. My mind is a bit cluttered right now.. and all I can think of is her. I wonder what she would say about the wedding."

"Well.. actually.. I.. I've told her already," Tae Jun stammered as he replied.

Jong Kook was in shock, "Mworago? What did you tell her?!"

"I thought it would be good for her to be aware of plan B.. so she will be ready when it's necessary."

"Mwo?! Yaa! Why did you do that?! Didn't we agree to keep as a secret?!" Jong Kook roared over the phone.

"I know.. and I'm sorry for breaking the promise! I feel bad for her, Jong Kook. I don't want Seong-Im to blame me later if suddenly I have to marry her and take care of your child when things aren't going as planned!"

"Yaa! Are you hoping that I will marry Geun Young so you can take my place?!"

"Aish.. jeongmal! Are you questioning me now?! Have you forgotten what I've done just to help you two?!"

"But still.. you can't just tell Ji Hyo about plan B when she doesn't even heard of plan A! Now how will she take it?"

"Jong Kook aah.. just trust me, arasso? I'm doing my best to help you here, but you got to play your role as well when the time comes. Anyway, I have to excuse myself now. I'll see you at the wedding."

 

Tae Jun knew where he should be next, so he instructed the driver to take him to the location while he informed the other party about his departure. Once in a while he glanced at his wristwatch, checking the time to ensure that he wouldn't be late for the 'big finale'. Though he has spoken to Mrs. Kim and Jong Kook, Tae Jun still has one more 'boss' to serve i.e. Mr. Kim himself. It was extremely difficult and tiring for him to play 'double agents' for the party involved, but as the trusted person to the family, Tae Jun knew he couldn't take the responsibilities for granted.

 

"Did you bring the 'gift' that I asked for?" Mr. Kim had an evil smile on his face as he welcomed Tae Jun to take a seat.

The man nodded to confirm and replied swiftly, "My men is taking care of the lady.. so you shall be receiving some good news by the time your son walking down the aisle."

"That's good. I don't want anyone to come and 'disturb' the wedding of my son tonight. I've been waiting for this moment all my life and the last thing I need is having to deal with that arrogant lady again!"

Tae Jun smiled, "Consider it done, sir. Just think of it as my 'small contribution' to your family."

"Your small contribution makes a lot different, Tae Jun. It changes your future.. and also my partnership with the Moon once Jong Kook is married. But as I said, I want to see an evidence before I announce your appointment as the CEO of my company. Only then.. I'm more convinced."

Tae Jun took a moment to think before he replied, "Arasso. But what kind of evidence do you need?"

"It depends. As long as I can tell that she's totally gone.. it will be good enough. More importantly.. show it to me by this evening. I'm thinking of announcing your appointment as part of my speech at the wedding if you have it on time."

 

Tae Jun was speechless. He stared at Mr. Kim's face for a long minute, trying to read his facial expression when asking for the evidence. The old man wasn't joking about his request, which means it has to be done the way he wanted. "Algesumnida, sir. Please look forward to it when I send your 'present' tonight. I'm sure you will love it," Tae Jun concluded the discussion with a smile.