The Hope We Professed

How Come You Don't Know?

It's finally time to meet her on-screen husband, but Ji Hyo was still thinking about Jong Kook and the conversation that they had. A lot of assumptions cluttered her mind, making it difficult for the actress to focus on her job without feeling guilty. Part of her was eager to walk away from the shooting and immediately search for Jong Kook just to make sure that he's fine, but her rational thought was asking her to stay till the job is done.

 

"Song Ji Hyo ssi.. we'll be ready in 10 minutes," one of the crews was sent to remind her of the schedule, and she responded with a smile. As her phone was within her reach, Ji Hyo decided to give Jong Kook a quick call. She waited till the last beep, but no one answer. When the same crew member came to invite her for the shoot, Ji Hyo had to switch off her handphone and kept it in her handbag. Yet she was still worried if Jong Kook might tried to contact her while she's working, 'I hope oppa will not be angry with me. Maybe I should steal some time to call him later.'

 

Taking along all the presents that she prepared for her 'date' to the location of their first meeting, Ji Hyo began to wonder which of the photos that were shown to her last night will be 'the one' being chosen for her. As the camera rolling, she began to feel nervous. In every step she kept thinking about how to react, what to say and where to start. The fact that she's going to be paired with a foreigner was already a nerve wrecking challenge for her, and Ji Hyo foreseen a bigger barrier in communicating with him as her English is just average. 

 

Since she arrived earlier than her partner, Ji Hyo filled her time by learning some basic Chinese language. As her body just recovered from fever, it wasn't long before she dozed off on the floor - recharging her energy whenever possible. The moment she heard footsteps from the next room, her eyes automatically wide opened. Ji Hyo nervously greeted her mysterious partner, but her anxiety turned into excitement as he replied to her in such a nice voice. The 'date' went perfectly fine once she discovered few similarities with her partner like their favourite coffee, their love for candles and craving for pineapple tart - something that she never had in common with Jong Kook who are not into any of those.

 

Chen Bo Lin - an actor from Taiwan, 2 years younger than her. But in her eyes, nothing is lacking about him. He's perfect, in fact too perfect for her to consider as her boyfriend for the next few months. Bo Lin is a good looking man. He's very attentive, and knows exactly how to melt her heart in just one day. Ji Hyo felt safe around him. He made her smile throughout their conversation. More importantly, Bo Lin took away her sadness and worries about her broken marriage. Unwittingly, she allowed herself to explore the possibility of falling in love with 'a new man'.

 

"It was very nice meeting you," Bo Lin bowed to the actress who became his partner in the variety show that he participated, then gave her a friendly hug before saying goodbye once the shooting is over. Ji Hyo didn't talk that much. She merely smiled or giggled most of the time. So he assumed that she was too shy around him, which he found very cute and interesting. Bo Lin has seen Ji Hyo as the Ace of Running Man on television before, but today he felt lucky enough to be able to see the different side of the Korean actress with his very own eyes.

 

His manager who noticed the actor's beaming face began to , "Seems like someone is very happy with his girlfriend!". Bo Lin burst out laughing. He was blushing while trying to hide his excitement, "Thanks bro. You've talked me into this. I think I'm going to have such a great time on my date. I mean.. it's Ji Hyo we're talking about."

 

"You like her?" his manager asked.

He took a while before replying, "More like a fan of her. Do you think she knows who I am?"

"You want to know what I think?" the manager waited for Bo Lin to nod his head before he continued, "From my experience, usually ladies will do some background research about the men who asked them out. So I'm not surprise if she did 'Google' all the men in the pictures that the producer gave to her."

Bo Lin couldn't stop smiling when he heard that, "I hope so. Cause it will be awkward to talk about my career with her if she knows nothing about me. But then.. she's a global star and I'm still new in this.. variety thing."

 

Then there was a long silence. Bo Lin stared at the scenery outside of the moving vehicle. His mind was still playing the memory of his first meeting with Ji Hyo. It was really brief, but enough to make him wanting for more date with the actress. Bo Lin took out his smartphone and searched through his contact list. He stopped as soon as he found Ji Hyo's number that he got from her earlier. Then he imagined what sort of things he would say to her over the phone.

 

Again, he was smiling alone. Bo Lin couldn't believe that he actually got her personal phone number, but at this point of time he was too shy to contact the actress. 'Someday, Bo Lin.. someday you'll have the courage to do it. Now it's too early for that. Made her crazily fall in love with you and let's see how it goes,' he was already planning ahead in his mind, hoping that he has found 'the one' to complete him as a man.

 

It was around 6pm when she finally got the chance to turn on her phone again, and immediately she received 7 notifications of missed calls from one man - Kim Jong Kook. At first she was hesitated to dial his number. Not because she wanted to ignore him, but she was too afraid of his wrath. Nevertheless, her finger began to press the redial function after a long stare at her phone screen. Her heart was beating wildly in fear the moment he answered the call, "Yoboseyo.. Ji Hyo aah.."

 

"Ne oppa. Mianhae for the late call. I had to switch off my phone while.. shooting," she was contemplating to tell him about her 'date job'.

"Gwaenchana. I know you had to. Is there anything you want to tell me earlier? Because I got a missed call from you, " he seemed to be clueless.

Ji Hyo felt weird that Jong Kook asked her that question, "Oppa.. don't you remember that you called me last night and I promised to talk to you after my work is done?"

"Mwo? Aish.. jinjja? Mianhae. I don't remember that. But.. did I said anything.. you know.. stupid or embarrassing?"

Ji Hyo wasn't sure if she should tell him everything, but then she decided not to take it seriously, "Ahneeoh.. you're just babbling because you're drunk. Are you sober now?"

"Ne. Ji Hyo aah.."

"Ne?"

"How's your.. date?" he seemed to be hesitated with that question.

Knowing that Jong Kook was pretending to be fine, Ji Hyo didn't want to make him upset with the details of her first date, "It was okay.. I think. Just talking and getting to know each other."

"Aah.. so is he.. good looking?"

"Well he's an actor. Good look is a must.. isn't it?" she giggled to steer away the awkwardness.

But Jong Kook was still focusing on that topic, "So you like him? I mean.. as a man?"

"Honestly it's too early to tell. Wae oppa? Can't we just.. talk about something else? Like.. why were you drunk last night? Do you have any problem that you want to share?"

"Ah ni! I was.. drinking with my friends. We had a men conversation," he lied.

"Was it about me?" she randomly asked since he was talking about her last night.

"Ahneeoh.. men usually talk about sports rather than women. So.. where are you now? Can I come over to pick you up?"

"Gwaenchana. I brought my car here. Wae oppa.. do you want us to meet?"

"Well.. if you're busy, then it's okay."

She glanced at her wrist watch, "I don't have anything to do till dinner time. Want to have it together? Then we can talk about our divorce document and so on. I haven't heard anything from the lawyer yet."

 

Jong Kook felt like he was shot with bullets when she asked that. It's true - he haven't done anything to proceed with formalizing their divorce, but that's because.. he doesn't want to give up on her. He was thinking of fighting to save his marriage, however he couldn't be too obvious - not when that will expose Ji Hyo to his furious father who could do anything just to keep her away from him. "Ji Hyo aah.. before we talk on that, can we go somewhere outside of Korea and have a vacation together? Only you and I..  for the sake of our memories," he suddenly proposed.

 

She was surprised by his request. Never had he said anything about going somewhere outside the country just the two of them, cause all these while he's too concerned that the public will find out about their relationship and their secret marriage. "Oppa.. are you really sure about that?" she was hesitated, but he confidently replied, "Never been this sure, Ji Hyo. We haven't go for our honeymoon, so don't say 'no' to me.. jaebal. Even if this is for the last time I got to be with you."