The Challenge We Accepted

How Come You Don't Know?

Ji Hyo was very happy when her husband came to have breakfast at her place. She even got up earlier to prepare his favourite menu, though she wasn't into cooking or become a morning person. Furthermore, she was still restless due to yesterday's travelling. To make it worse, Ji Hyo was having trouble falling asleep last night as she kept on thinking about Jong Kook's odd behaviour on their way back.

 

"Eat well, oppa. I can make more if you want," she was pleased to see Jong Kook enjoying the meal that she has prepared without complaining about the taste or anything. While he munched the food in his mouth, Jong Kook began the conversation, "Yeobo.. how was last night? Did you get a good rest?". "Ne oppa. Anyway, how's your parents? Did you manage to meet them?" she diverted the topic as Ji Hyo doesn't want Jong Kook to worry about her.

 

He wiped his mouth with a clean cloth and replied, "I did.. and that's the reason why I'm here. We need to talk."

"Talk about?" she felt nervous.

Jong Kook drank his water before he said, "Well I've told them about our marriage."

"And?"

Jong Kook inhaled deeply, "Appa was upset."

"Was it because.. we hid the truth from them?" Ji Hyo was slightly worried.

He nodded, "So to get his blessing.. he made me promise."

"Jinjja? Promise what?"

His eyes were observing her reaction when he said, "That I will convince my wife to work at his company in one month time to prove that I've chosen the right woman as his daughter-in-law."

 

She lost her words the moment Jong Kook answered her questions. Never in her life had she imagine working in an office environment with fixed working days, which means waking up as early as 5am will become her daily routine. Honestly, she was scared to commit when her 'real job' is waiting in line. There are lots of factors to be considered for her to take up such a big responsibility within such a short notice. Hence, she was hoping that Jong Kook hasn't agree to it. "Oppa.. you haven't said anything on my behalf, right?"

 

When he stared at her with a guilty face, she could tell the answer. "Mianhae Ji Hyo. I know I'm supposed to discuss with you first," Jong Kook apologized for making the decision on his own. She heaved a sigh, "Oppa! I would appreciate if you could at least consider my situation right now. I already have my job. I don't need another one on top of my schedule. Do you think it's fair for me to take up such responsibility when I'm not ready for that? What will your parents think of me?"

 

"I understand how hard it is for you, yeobo. I wish we have a better way to get his blessing, but I think you do know how my appa is. He will not change his mind and therefore we must respect his condition."

"But for how long? Didn't you tell them that I'm an actress.. not a corporate lady?" she blurted out her disappointment.

 

Jong Kook lowered his head and sealed his mouth. He knew it wasn't right for him to force Ji Hyo into doing something that she has no interest in, but Jong Kook was more concerned what will happen to their marriage should she refused to do it. At this point of time, he had no choice but to ensure that his wife will take up the challenge. "Ji Hyo aah.. jaebal. This could be our only chance to win appa's heart. We already upset him by getting married in secret, so let's not burn the broken bridge by declining his offer. Like it or not.. someday it will be our destiny to run his company on his behalf," he persistently persuading her.

 

"But.. what if I can't do it? I mean.. what if I'm not good enough? What will happen then oppa?" she couldn't hide her fear of the high expectation that was set by her father-in-law. Jong Kook got up from his chair, walked to Ji Hyo's side and then embraced her in his cuddle. The same fear was haunting him too, but Jong Kook concealed his emotion by staying calm. "I will make sure that you will not fail, my love. You don't need to worry too much, arachi? We're in this together," he caressed her hair and pecked her forehead gently.

 

Despite she was against the idea of taking the job at the Kim's company, Ji Hyo decided to accept the responsibility for the sake of her man. She refused to burden herself by thinking too much about the consequences, hence she kept telling herself that she did the right thing. Jong Kook was very happy when his wife agreed with the condition that his father has given, yet at the same time he felt sorry for Ji Hyo who had to sacrifice her 'freedom' in order for them to stay together.

 

"Oppa.. I was just wondering. Do your parents know about my involvement in.. well.. that love show?" she asked.

After a brief silence, Jong Kook finally replied, "Maybe.. maybe not. Gwaenchana, I'll explain to them if needed."

"Won't they be mad? Seeing me having an on-screen relationship with another man?"

"Let me handle my parents, yeobo. You just focus on your job, arasso? And when I said focus.. I'm not suggesting that you should 'seriously' falling in love with that.. that young man!" jealousy suddenly clouded his mind.

 

His reaction has successfully made Ji Hyo let out a small laugh. Jong Kook returned to his seat to finish his meal, while Ji Hyo cleaned up the dishes on her kitchen counter. As he stared at his wife for a long time, an idea popped in his head. At first Jong Kook was hesitated to share his thought, but after considering the pros and cons he gathered his courage to ask his wife. "Yeobo.. I was just thinking. Since you need to work at appa's office later.. you'll be extremely busy for the whole week, right?"

 

She answered without looking at her husband, "I guess so? Why are you asking?".

He smiled sheepishly, "Then that means you won't have time to go on a date with me.. isn't it?"

"Well.. I can still see you during the Running Man shooting. That is.. if the shooting takes place on weekends. Wae oppa?" she kept herself occupied with washing the dishes at the kitchen sink.

Jong Kook quietly approached his wife and gave her a backhug, "Aigoo.. then I'm going to miss my wife so much!". 

"Yaa Kim Jong Kook! Why are you behaving like this? Can't you see that I'm doing the dishes?" she pretended to scold him.

He laughed, yet refused to detach himself from Ji Hyo, "I only want to thank my lovely wife for preparing breakfast this morning. But who will prepare for her when she needs to get up early for work?"

 

"Is that a question or do you have something else in your mind?" she could sense where the conversation is heading, however Ji Hyo pretended to be clueless. When Jong Kook closed the water tap and turned her body towards him, Ji Hyo was slightly surprise and screamed a "Yaa!" at his face. She wanted to laugh when he kept staring at her with his naughty eyes, which made it obvious that she already knew what he was about to suggest. "So.. what do you think?" his face was beaming.

 

She responded with a question, "Think about what?"

"You know what I'm talking about. You were laughing just now!" he was confident that she was bluffing.

But Ji Hyo continued with her acting, "I laughed because I feel awkward when you stare at me!"

"Come on, yeobo. Your 'mong face' doesn't work on me. But since you want me to say it myself.. then listen carefully to this. I.. Kim Jong Kook, husband to Cheon Seong-im or better known as Song Ji Hyo.. would like to move in with my wife into her house, to look after her needs and safety.. from the time she wakes up from her bed till she comes home from work.. so she can prove herself as the rightful daughter-in-law to the Kim's family.. and protect our marriage till death do us part. Any objection to that?"