The Pain We Hide

How Come You Don't Know?

She slowly opened her eyes, but the bright sunlight was too sharp for her vision to absorb. It took a while for Ji Hyo to realized where she's at, and the first question that popped into her mind was - how did she get here? Ji Hyo remembered she was having a conversation with her husband (or is it now her ex-husband?) at the living room, then everything turned into pitch black. She couldn't recall what happened next. Her head was still heavy, so she gently massage her temple to ease the pain. There's a small towel next to her, and a couple of pills on a plate with a sticky note on her bedside table.

 

Her hand spontaneously reaching for the note. It read, "Don't forget to take your medicine and have a good rest." Ji Hyo let out a big sigh. She recognized the handwriting too well. Her eyes scanned around for his presence, but the room was too quiet and 'empty'. Loneliness began to haunt her mind. It was painful - too painful for her to bear on her own. She cried all by herself, searching for a reason why he left. She wished he would stay, but that didn't happen. Jong Kook has abandoned his responsibility as her husband, to which wounded her heart and hurt her so deep.

 

With every strength that she could gather, Ji Hyo got up from her bed and dragged her feet to the living hall. She looked around, nothing was left behind. Ji Hyo was hoping that Jong Kook wouldn't take the divorce paper with him or at least destroy and throw it into the dustbin, but it seems that he kept the document with him. "Congratulations, Cheon Seong-im. You're officially single right now. No more husband for you," she forced a small laugh to hide her pain, but eventually her laughter turned into tears when she couldn't hold it in anymore. She really lost without him.

 

As she was battling with fever, her legs gradually gave up on her and she eventually dropped to the floor. If only Jong Kook was around, he would have catched her in his arms. He wouldn't let her fall, and he would take good care of her till she has fully recovered. But that was in the past. Today, Ji Hyo realized that she has no man to depend on. She needs to be stronger in any situation, despite her health was limiting her ability to move around freely. "You can't fall sick, Seong-im. Don't you want to meet your 'international boyfriend' this Thursday?" Ji Hyo tried to cheer herself with something to look forward to. Deep in her heart, she prayed that the 'new man' will help her to move on - even if it's only for a show.

 

About six hours before the dinner with the Moon's family, Jong Kook decided to seek help from the only person who can stop the wedding i.e. Geun Young herself. He asked to meet up at his place, and she agreed although that was her first time being invited. "Thank you for coming, Geun Young," he ushered her to his living room and sat across the young actress. She smiled at him, "I'm glad to be here oppa. So what is it that you wanted to talk about?"

 

"Well.. it's about tonight," he took a deep breath and planned his words carefully.

Her facial expression slightly changed, "You mean the dinner?".

Jong Kook nodded, "You know our parents are going to discuss about our wedding, right?"

"I know. So what's the matter oppa? You can't come tonight?" she innocently asked with a worried face.

He stared into her eyes and said, "Not me.. you. Can you not attend it tonight? I mean.. our parents won't be talking about or forcing us to get marry when you're not around. Isn't it?"

"Wait a minute. Oppa.. why do you want me to skip the dinner? Are you.. are you having a second thought about the wedding?" she got a bad feeling that he was reluctant to meet her family.

 

Her questions made him reflected his reason to reject Geun Young as his bride. Previously he couldn't do it because of his secret marriage to Ji Hyo, but now that his wife has signed the divorce paper (just pending for his signature), Jong Kook was struggling to justify his own actions against his parents' wish. Though he has already decided to set Ji Hyo free, yet his heart was still hesitated to start a new relationship with another woman.

 

"Mian Geun Young aah. It's not that I don't like you to be my wife. But it's.. it's too complicated," he gave up trying to explain himself to Geun Young, but she kept insisting for a definite answer from him. If Jong Kook wasn't into the marriage or seeing her as a woman, then Geun Young doesn't want to waste her future with a man who couldn't love her wholeheartedly. "Oppa, let me ask you this.. are you in love with someone else?" she seek for clarification, to which he responded with a small nod.

 

Geun Young sighed heavily. Somehow she got a feeling that her future husband was 'being forced' to accept her, and now he has confirmed her assumption by confessing his personal affair with another woman. She leaned back against the backrest as she tried to regulate her feeling, "Is she.. someone that I know?". Again, he nodded without saying a word. At this point of time, Geun Young had a mix of emotions. She was sad that Jong Kook was never into her in the first place, but also angry that he gave a false hope of becoming his wife. Disappointed with her future husband, Geun Young continued to interrogate, "Would you mind telling me her name?"

 

"It's better if you do not know who she is, Geun Young. Besides.. our relationship has ended. It's just me who couldn't get over that same person, because.. I still love her," he finally confessed. For a moment, there was an awkward silence. Both of them were trying to figure out their next step, and how to respond to their parents' expectation should their families know the truth. Though she was hurt by his honesty, Geun Young knew that she couldn't blame him for falling in love with a person other than herself, "Thank you oppa for telling me all these. At least.. I know how you really feel about the wedding."

 

Jong Kook was slightly relieved, "So.. you won't be coming to the dinner later, right?"

She shook her head and formed a weak smile, "Mian.. I can't disappoint my parents, oppa."

He was surprised with her response, "But I thought we have agreed.."

"Which is why we must explain everything at the dinner tonight. I'm not in favour of hiding the truth from our families, oppa. Let's just come clean and we'll see how it goes," she calmly replied and took a sip from her cup of tea.

Jong Kook sighed in disagreement, "You don't know my parents, Geun Young. They won't listen to my reason because they couldn't or maybe refuse to understand how I really feel." 

 

"Perhaps if we explain to them together.. they will be able to understand and let us decide our own partner," Geun Young was still holding on to her point of view, to which Jong Kook has a slight concern to go with her plan. He has yet to disclose the whole truth about his personal relationship to anyone, and therefore he was afraid of the outcome at the family dinner. "What.. what are you going to do if they still want us to proceed with the marriage?" he asked - worried that the plan might failed. She locked her eyes on his face and calmly replied, "Then we shall proceed with the wedding as they wish, oppa. It's the only choice we have."