The Secret We Revealed

How Come You Don't Know?

She heard a loud bang coming from the living room, which startled her a little. Curious about the sound of a slamming door, Ji Hyo called out for Jong Kook and asked what was going on over there. But he wasn't responding. She waited for almost a minute before decided to check on the situation herself. "Oppa? Oppa.. where are you?" her eyes were busy scanning for his presence, but she couldn't find him. Judging from the still-on tv and the unlock front door, Ji Hyo assumed that Jong Kook had stormed off for whatever reason.

 

Not sure what just happened, Ji Hyo threw herself on the couch with a big sigh, "What's wrong with that guy? Was he playing with my feeling just to get me to kiss him? Yaa.. you're pabo Seong-im!". She almost cried thinking that her 'ex-husband' has successfully fooled her blind heart for the nth times, yet she kept a little hope that it was a total opposite. "Think positive, Seong-im! Maybe he has something urgent. Should I give him a call then?" she consulted herself and immediately grabbed her handphone to dial Jong Kook's number. Once again, she was devastated when the call failed to get connected.

 

As a last resort, she sent him a text message:

'Wae geu rae oppa? Why didn't you tell me that you're leaving?'

 

Ji Hyo waited about 20 minutes for his reply, but there was nothing. She put away her handphone in disappointment, trying to figure out if Jong Kook is a total jerk for pretending to care for her or did he really had something so urgent that he couldn't get to say goodbye. Either way, Ji Hyo was upset with him. He should have at least reply her message or leave a note on her table, rather than making her confused with the way he treated her.

 

Deep in his heart, Jong Kook felt guilty for walking away without a word. But he just couldn't stay with her for two reasons. First, he was unhappy with the news headline. Second, he had to deal with a bigger problem - his furious parents. Because his handphone was switched off since the night before, none of his family members was able to contact him till he turned it on 20 minutes ago. As expected, Mr. Kim was extremely upset when Geun Young's parents cancelled the dinner because of the 'things' that Jong Kook said to their daughter. So now, his old man was demanding for an explanation from him or there will be consequences to his action.

 

"Mianhaeyo, appa.. eomma. I really can't accept Geun Young as my wife," he lowered his head in front of the Kims, knowing that both of them were shooting daggers from their eyes. Instead of the usual family gathering, Jong Kook felt like he's seating in an interrogation room, of which his parents are the cops and he's the criminal. The conversation was too intense from the moment he got there, and Jong Kook couldn't wait to get it over with.

 

Unhappy with his son's response, Mr. Kim slammed his fist on his table, "Do you think that the marriage is just about you?! Have you ever considered how the Moons are feeling when you rejected their daughter?!"

"I've already explained to Geun Young why I can't be with her. I don't and will never be able to love her, appa.."

"Your responsibility is not to your heart, but to this family. Arachi?!" his father spoke firmly.

Jong Kook heaved a sigh and turned to his mother for support, "Eomma.. jaebal."

His mother shook her head, "I can't help you this time, Kookie. Your father is right. Marrying Geun Young is not a choice.. it's your responsibility. Why can't you just agree to this?"

"Are you having an affair with another woman?!" Mr. Kim made an assumption.

When her son just kept silence, Mrs. Kim tried to dig for the truth, "Tell us.. Kookie. What is it that stopping you from marrying a young and beautiful lady like Geun Young? Just be honest so we can understand your situation."

"Appa.. eomma. I.. I.. uh.. I have someone who I really like," he was getting nervous to spill out the secret.

His father was even more furious, "Mwo?! Since when? And who is that woman? Is she as good as the Moons' daughter?!"

"To be honest.. I'm already married to her."

 

"Yaa KIM JONG KOOK! How.. how dare you?!" his father scowled, while his mother was in shock to hear his confession. Pointing his finger to his son's face, Mr. Kim tried very hard to control his anger, "I want you to divorce your wife. Immediately!". "But appa.." before Jong Kook could say more, his father gave a strong warning, "Don't make me find that woman and force her to leave you.. arachi? Do as I say or you will regret it later."

 

He knew his father wasn't joking. With the money and connection that he has, Mr. Kim could easily track anyone and influence whoever he wants to follow his rules. That was the reason why Jong Kook decided to keep his marriage as a secret. Not only because Ji Hyo and himself are the permanent members of Running Man, but also to protect the woman he loves from his father's power over their future.

 

After that long argument with his parents, Jong Kook returned to his place in a mess. He's been out drinking all alone, trying to forget about his problem and the pain inside his broken heart. Once he entered his room, Jong Kook threw his body on the bed. Suddenly he felt like crying, of which he did after holding his manly tears for so long. All the burden came back to him the moment he thought of Ji Hyo, and naturally his finger was already dialing her number.

 

"Yoboseyo? Oppa.. why are you calling me at this hour?" she yawned over the phone as it was quite late at night and she was already in bed. As he wasn't sober, Jong Kook didn't realized what he was talking about, "Yeobo.. I miss you. Please don't be mad at me. I.. I didn't mean to hurt you."

 

Sensing that something was wrong with him, Ji Hyo became worried, "Oppa.. gwaenchanayo? Are you.. drunk?"

"Otteoke? How do I live without you yeobo.. you're my wife. My only wife! I love you so much Ji Hyo aah.."

"Oppa.. I don't think you know what you're talking about right now. Just go to sleep and I'll talk to you tomorrow, after my shooting."

"So you're going to ditch me like this and go for that date with that.. ugly guy?!" he suddenly became furious.

As she knew that he wasn't in the right state of mind, Ji Hyo just ignored his words, "You should rest now oppa.. and I need to wake up early. I'm going to hang up the phone.."

"Yaa! Do you think it's right to date another man when you still have a husband?!" he scolded her.

"We have divorced, oppa. You're the one who asked for it, remember? So can you please.. just stop talking about us and move on?" she began to lose her temper.

But the drunk Jong Kook doesn't care at all and continued to babble, "I'm not going to divorce you Ji Hyo! You hear me? I don't care what my father wants or whatever you say from now on. You're still my wife because I said so. As your husband I am not allowing you to go on a date with another man and that's a final!"

 

Then he ended the call. Ji Hyo was confused with the conversation that she just had with the drunk Jong Kook. It was unlikely for him to get high unless something was really bothering his mind. As she tried to comprehend his situation, her heart began to wonder - why did he kept addressing her as 'his wife'? Is it true that he hasn't divorce her?