The Truth We Denied

How Come You Don't Know?

The shooting of Running Man wrapped up around 9pm, and everyone was getting ready to go home for a good rest. While others were busy packing their own stuff, Jong Kook was more interested to find his wife among the casts and the crews. He finally saw her at a corner - talking on a phone with somebody, which triggered his curiosity about who that 'somebody' is. Naturally his feet took him where his eyes were locked on, and his hand went straight to grab her shoulder. Ji Hyo was startled by the Commander's presence, to which she immediately ended the call with that person on the line.

 

"What do you want?" she asked him, slightly annoyed that her phone conversation was interrupted.

Jong Kook responded, "I have something to tell you. But first.. who were you talking to?"

"Why do you care? Since our relationship will be over soon.. need I remind you that it's none of your business?"

"You're still my 'business' until we're officially divorce.. arachi? So mind your words when you're talking to your husband."

Ji Hyo scoffed, "Whatever. Now if you don't have anything better to say.. then I'm going to excuse myself."

 

Jong Kook quickly held her wrist - refused to let his wife out of his sights. He was afraid that she's going to meet another man, or maybe hangout with Gary for the sake of provoking his jealousy, so there's no way he will allow that from happen. But he totally forgot that they were still at the filming site. "Take your hand off me before anyone notice," she warned him of their surroundings, so Jong Kook has no choice but to release his grip. Honestly he has no reason to stop his wife from leaving, so he created an 'issue' just to start a conversation. "We need to talk.. about that kiss," he got her attention the moment he mentioned that.

 

"Well, if you stop me from leaving just to say how much you regret that we kissed.. then let me tell you first that the feeling is mutual," Ji Hyo pretended to be strong, yet her heart was in pain each time they were having a fight. Her husband seemed to be clueless about the way she felt when he asked for a break-up, when deep inside of her kept hoping for his attention and love as her man. That's right. Jong Kook is her only man, but now she wasn't sure of that anymore. Though they haven't file for divorce, Ji Hyo knew that it will happen anytime soon.

 

The way she spoke to him was no longer as sweet as it used to be, and that made him upset. So instead of having a conversation with Ji Hyo, Jong Kook was focusing more on getting even. "For your information, I don't regret that kiss. But just to let you know.. I did it to shut you up before you blurt out anything that could expose our situation to the others," a lie slipped from his mouth, and Jong Kook hated himself for saying it. Of course he kissed his wife because he wanted to, however he doesn't like her to think that she has won over him. As the one who asked for the divorce, Jong Kook can't take back what has been said and done.

 

"Oppa! There you are," Geun Young approached the couple with a big smile, not knowing that the two were having a heated discussion. Right when she saw the young woman walking towards them, Ji Hyo took the opportunity to excuse herself. "I guess your 'future' wife needs you," she used sarcasm to hide her pain, and immediately stepped away before Jong Kook could stop her one last time. Deep within his heart, the Commander was crying, 'But it's you that I need, Ji Hyo. I just don't know how to tell you that.'

 

She saw how Jong Kook's face changed when Ji Hyo left, but Geun Young refused to believe that there's something going on between those two. She just want to focus on the fact that she will soon be getting married to the Commander of Running Man, so there's no way for Ji Hyo or any other woman to take her happiness away from her when everything was arranged according to plan. So with an innocent face, Geun Young made a request to her future husband, "Oppa.. if you don't mind, can you send me home tonight? My parents want me to get to know you better. You know.. for the 'wedding' thing."

 

Of course he knows about it, but Jong Kook couldn't spill the truth that he's married to Ji Hyo and they are getting a divorce because his parents want him to marry someone else. "Sure, Geun Young. I'll send you now. My car is parked over there," Jong Kook led the way and invited Geun Young to get into his vehicle. The young actress was so excited to ride home with her future husband, despite Jong Kook was not having the mood for a chat. All he did was replying with one or two words to her questions, until she asked something very specific, "Oppa.. are you in love with Ji Hyo unnie?"

 

"Mwo? Who gave you that idea?" he pretended to be clueless, however his face felt like burning due to the 'accuracy' of Geun Young's theory. He wondered if the young woman was spying on him throughout the shooting, which made him felt anxious about the 'kiss' that took place in the changing room. "No one. But I saw how you looked at her from morning," there was a concern in her voice as she uttered those words to him.

 

For a moment, Jong Kook let silence filled the air. He kept thinking of the best way to respond to his future wife's statement, hoping to keep his secret safe from an outsider. The Commander fake a laugh to cover his nervousness, "I've known Ji Hyo for six years now. She's like.. a younger sister to me." Geun Young's face was beaming the moment she heard his confession, "Jinjja? Waa.. that's a relieve. I thought you two are secretly dating and I'm just a person who came in between."

 

'Sort of,' his inner voice replied, but he answered it differently to her. "Well Geun Young. Our parents wouldn't asked us to get married if you or me are not single.. isn't it?". His future wife chuckled, "I never thought of that! You're right oppa. I don't think our parents will arrange the marriage if we have someone else." Jong Kook let out a heavy sigh. He felt guilty for lying to everyone, and now his secret is haunting his mind. To keep the conversation alive, Jong Kook prompted a question, "But Geun Young aah, why did you agree to the marriage? I mean.. our is quite huge and I know you can have someone better than me."

 

"I know right? But I trust my parents' decision. I'm sure they want the best for their daughter, so you must be the right man," she smiled at him, though his eyes were only focusing on his driving. Again, there was an awkward silence until they reach Geun Young's family residence. Parking his car near to the entrance, Jong Kook unlocked the door and said, "We've arrived." He was surprised when Geun Young suddenly kissed his cheek, "Thank you for the ride oppa. It was nice talking to you."

 

As he wasn't comfortable with that kiss, Jong Kook just drove off without acknowledging Geun Young who was waving at him as a goodbye. He doesn't understand why he was thinking of Ji Hyo when he was in the car with the young actress, but one thing for sure - he wasn't ready to leave her. He wasn't prepared to sign the divorce paper because.. he still loves her.