The Proposal We Reluctant

How Come You Don't Know?

It's almost two weeks since he dumped his 'unwanted' daughter-in-law with job that was supposed to be impossible for her to do, but till now Ji Hyo has never give up and continued to perform well at work. Everything that he 'made' the inexperienced Assistant Project Director to do, the lady was able to deliver them on time despite her 'crazy' working schedule. The project in Busan, for example, was successfully completed even earlier than the target deadline. The progress report was also submitted and agreed by the investors without much amendment. Whatever 'ridiculous' expectations that he set on Ji Hyo, none could break her spirit to give the very best for sake of the company.

 

"This is wrong! How can she survive in hell?!" Mr. Kim slammed his fist on the table after he read an email from one of his business partners who complimented Ji Hyo for a job well done. The old man heaved a long sigh. His face flaming red as he hold the fire of wrath that burn within him. Confronting the Ace seemed to be harder than he thought, as if the woman is protected by the God of Luck or someone from within the organization was assisting her all along. Feeling that something wasn't right with the situation, Mr. Kim called in his trusted man for a 'discussion'.

 

The man came in - bowed to the President and took a seat after the secretary has left them alone. He already knew the reason he was summoned by the old man, "Do you want me to carry out the 'mission' tonight, sir?". Mr. Kim shook his head, "Not yet. I need you to investigate something. I suspect that someone in this company is helping her out with the job.. which is why I couldn't make her 'leave' this place on her will. Find out who is that culprit. I will deal with that 'betrayer' myself." Once he understood the instruction, the man stood up - bowed to the influential President and left the room to make his move.

 

"Call Seong-Im ssi to meet me in the office," Mr. Kim instructed his secretary and waited for his 'guest' to arrive. Once the actress appeared in front of his eyes, the old man instructed his secretary to ensure that no one will disturb their conversation. "You must be happy after receiving that email from Mr. Tao," he stared hard at his unwanted daughter-in-law, hoping to intimidate the woman who was sitting across the table. With a calm voice, Ji Hyo responded, "Indeed.. Mr. President. It is an honour to receive such acknowledgement from him. But I'm assuming that is not the reason for me to be meeting you here.. am I right?"

 

It was obvious to the Ace that her father-in-law wasn't going to congratulate her or be happy with the news. If the email was intended for other worker, perhaps it would be different. The President might be offering a raise in salary (which she never received) or a job promotion for performing well in her position, however that's not her case. The old man always have something personal against her, and nothing could satisfy him even she had given her best for the company. Everytime she was summoned to meet him, it would only be for one purpose - to 'reward' her with another unrealistic task.

 

"You know me well, Ji Hyo ssi. Good! Now let's go straight to the point. Who is your comrade?" Mr. Kim gave a sharp stare as he threw the question.

At first Ji Hyo refused to say a word, but after the old man insisted, she finally replied, "If you want to know how things are done within your own company, then you should spend more time with your employees, Mr. Kim. There's this thing we called 'teamwork'.. where every person in this organization has an important role to play in order to meet up with the client's expectation. Maybe to Mr. Tao.. I am the only person he has been dealing with. But the truth is.. I am just a representative from the Project Management Department. The real job is being done by other departments as part of the value chain. I'm sure you're more an expert in explaining this than I am."

"Are you mocking me, Ji Hyo ssi?!" Mr. Kim was offended by her answer.

Ji Hyo just smiled, "That's not my intent, Mr. Kim. I was merely stating the truth. But if you're not happy with how I've said it, maybe you can ask the same question to other personnel as well."

"You..!!" Mr. Kim pointed his finger at Ji Hyo's face, trying to hold his anger from exploded. Once he controlled his wrath, the old man continued, "Geurae. Let's see if you can still do well when I send you out this time." He threw a thick file on the table, "I give you two weeks to prepare yourself, Ji Hyo ssi. Good.. luck!".

 

When Tae Jun suddenly asked to meet up secretly outside of the office, Jong Kook already had an uncomfortable feeling especially when his cousin specifically mentioned 'not to tell Ji Hyo about it'. They agreed to hold a conversation at Tae Jun's place around 1pm, and to keep it short as possible in order to avoid from getting caught by Mr. Kim's men. "Mian my brother. I had to drag you here as what I'm about to say is highly.. confidential," Tae Jun seemed to be very uneasy when he began the conversation.

 

"Geurae.. but why can't I tell Ji Hyo?" Jong Kook has been waiting to ask the question.

With a lower voice and a heavy sigh, Tae Jun replied, "Because she will hate me for this."

"Hate you?"

"Ne. The thing is.. I was asked by your father to prepare documentation for.. her new relocation."

"Relocation? Again? To which department?" Jong Kook became anxious to know more.

"It's the same department.. but different country."

"Mwo?! Where?! Tell me!"

Tae Jun heaved a sigh, "Taiwan. Do you know what that means?"

"Chen Bo Lin.." the name softly escaped from his lips before he continued, "My father was trying to use him to set us apart."

"Not just that, Jong Kook. The project that he gave to her.. it's not meant to be handled by inexperienced personnel. We faced challenges dealing with the client over there. The business relationship with your father is not on good term.. which is why it's highly impossible for your wife to get it done within a short time."

"Are you saying she'll be gone for weeks?"

Tae Jun shook his head, "Not weeks, Jong Kook.. but years. At least two.."

"Mwo?! Two years?! In Taiwan?!"

"There's more.." Tae Jun was slightly hesitant to continue, but Jong Kook made him speak, "He threatened to end her employment should she refused to accept the offer. He wants her to lose. Also.. I got a sense that your father has sent 'someone' to spy around, Jong Kook. I saw a man came out from his office this morning.. and that same man was waiting in the car at the parking area where your wife's car is located. I had to use taxi to come here and that's the reason why I asked you to do the same.. so he won't detect our movement."

"This is getting worse, Tae Jun. I must do something! We've been playing my father's game all these while and now I had enough of it! It's time to fight back," the Commander declared a war against his old man.

Tae Jun nodded and patted on Jong Kook's shoulder, "I have an idea.. but it's not something that you will like to hear."

"I'm open to any suggestion, my brother."

With a deep breath, Tae Jun shared his proposal, "The safest way to fight your father is to give what he wants."

"Wait a minute.. are you asking me to.."

"Divorce her. The sooner the better."