The Fear We Concealed

How Come You Don't Know?

Someone was knocking on his door, so he invited that person to come in. "Have a seat. Any good news?" Mr. Kim couldn't wait to hear what his 'spy' had to say. The man in black suit nodded, "Ne. We've found your son.. and the one you've been asking for."

 

"So is it true? Did you bring any evidence?" he wouldn't take one's words without a fact, especially when it cost him thousands just to get the information he needed. The spy handed an envelope with pictures taken from the location, and Mr. Kim reviewed them one by one. The old man smirked. He never knew that Jong Kook would dare to 'challenge' his authority, of which he blamed all that on the woman who stole his son's attention - an actress named Song Ji Hyo.

 

He already warned his son to divorce his wife so he can married him to the Moon's daughter, instead Jong Kook disobeyed his instruction and went on a vacation with Ji Hyo. "Anything else that I should know? What about their marriage? How long has it been?" Mr. Kim interrogated his spy for more info. "They've been married for 8 months now. However, we were informed by lawyer Park that your son used to seek his professional advice and discuss about his plan to get a divorce.. but till today Jong Kook hasn't come back to him."

 

"I need you to keep an eye on them especially that lady. Find out her weakest link. It might become handy when we need to deal with them," he sent out new instruction before releasing the spy to do the job. Once his 'visitor' left, Mr. Kim returned to the evidence that was given to him. As a father he was supposed to feel happy that his son has found his soul mate, but as the owner of the Kim's Group of Companies he felt betrayed by the 'trusted partner'. "Smile while you can, my son. But once I'm in charge.. you'll be sorry for going against the family. It's either me.. or your precious Song Ji Hyo."

 

Once the boat reached the shore, the two people in love were running hand-in-hand on the white sandy beach. They had so much fun that none of them could stop laughing. The atmosphere was totally different from the time they got there. Just like a newly wedded couple, both Jong Kook and Ji Hyo were too immersed in the world of their own. Right before they touched the ground, they have arrived to an agreement that it's time to 'introduce' their relationship to the public. "So what's on the agenda? Are we doing the bungee jumping first or should we spend the whole day in Nami?" she was getting excited.

 

While his eyes were focusing on his driving, Jong Kook replied to his wife, "Let's see which is less crowded. I don't want to que for that long."

"You wish, oppa. The moment people saw our face.. they will come and surround us in no time."

He giggled, "Geurae.. geurae. I almost forgot that I'm married to a 'crowd puller' from Running Man."

"Yaa.. I'm not the only one, arasso?! It doesn't help when my husband is a tough, handsome and popular guy that is so lovable by all Korean girls from all ages!"

"What did you say? I can't hear it well especially the last part."

 

Obediently, she repeated every last word that she uttered till she realized that Jong Kook was just teasing her. The Commander immediately apologized to his Ace for taking the opportunity to josh her, then promised to give Ji Hyo the best time of her life throughout their vacation. Once his car arrived at the nearest car park space to the Zipwire station, suddenly the two famous Running Man members were getting nervous to face the crowd. They waited inside the car for almost 5 minutes, yet not one of them was ready to step out.

 

"Oppa.. on second thought, can we do this slowly? I don't think we should rush to introduce our relationship to the public," she said.

Jong Kook was surprised by her proposition, "Wae geu rae? Are you afraid of what the people might say?". 

She heaved a sigh, "That.. and also because I almost forgot about him."

"Him? Him who?" a slight jealousy exploded in his mind.

"Chen Bo Lin. I'm doing that show with him."

 

Jong Kook's eyes were moving away from Ji Hyo the moment she mentioned that name. He doesn't want her to see the 'jealous side' of him or she will assume that he's not being considerate with her job as a celebrity. But Jong Kook failed to hide his flaming-red face from Ji Hyo, "Oppa.. are you mad? Why didn't you say something?". Though he denied it, she knew him very well. Despite she was a bit reluctant and unsure of her decision, Ji Hyo finally gave in, "Geurae. If you think that this is for the best.. let's do it. I'll handle Bo Lin and the production team later."

 

"Gwaenchana. You don't need to agree with me everytime," he said - in a sulky voice. She smiled. Her fingers ran through his hair, knowing that Jong Kook was actually upset with her when she mentioned about her on-screen partner. "You're so cute when you're jealous. Do you know that?" she giggled, to which he responded in a defensive mode, "I'm not jealous, arachi? I just said that I'm fine if you are not ready to tell the crowd."

 

The ringing of his handphone distracted their conversation. Jong Kook's heart was beating fast when he saw the caller ID. At first he was hesitated to answer, but Ji Hyo told him to do so when she found out that the caller was Jong Kook's father.

 

Jong Kook: Yoboseyo.

Mr. Kim: Yoboseyo. Are you two having fun in Nami Island?

 

His father's simple question caught him by surprise. Jong Kook lost his word for a second, and his face turned pale. He looked at Ji Hyo in worried, but she seemed to be clueless and still smiling at him.

 

Mr. Kim: Why are you keeping quiet? Ooh.. she's next to you,  isn't it? Don't you want to introduce your wife to her father-in-law?

Jong Kook: What do you want.. appa?

Mr. Kim: Haven't I told you before? I want you to divorce your wife and marry the Moon's daughter.

Jong Kook: Mianhaeyo, appa. I can't do that.

Mr. Kim: Mwo? Whoah.. you're a grownup man now, huh? Not afraid to go against your father?

Jong Kook: I respect you, appa. But the thing that you're asking..

Mr. Kim: I'm not asking, Kim Jong Kook. I'm telling you to do as I told. That is.. if you still want to see her.

Jong Kook: What do you mean?

Mr. Kim: This is my first warning, Jong Kook. Don't underestimate my influence. You should know better what will happen to those who disobeyed me.

Jong Kook: Appa.. jaebal. Can we have this conversation later? Give me time to think about it.

Mr. Kim: (Let out a small laugh) I don't have patience, my son.. and I don't like excuses. Make up your mind fast before I take things into my own hand. If you really care about your wife, then let her go safely. Don't say that I didn't warn you.

Jong Kook: Appa! Please don't do anything..

Mr. Kim: So it's a 'yes'? A wise choice.. indeed. By the way, be careful if you wish to take her for any 'extreme' activities over there. You know, accident can happen if you're.. 'careless'. Remember what I've said, my son. I'm going to end our conversation here. Enjoy your 'honeymoon'!

 

When Jong Kook was done talking to his father, Ji Hyo was confused with his facial expression. It seemed like her husband was distracted by the phone call earlier, "Oppa.. gwaenchana? What does your father want?". His eyes were staring at her innocent face, and the voice of his father was playing loudly in his head. Jong Kook was breaking down. He felt guilty for putting his wife in danger. He should have protected her, but his selfishness to fight for his marriage turn out to be at losing end.

 

"Ji Hyo aah.. mian. I need to go back and talk to my father tonight. It's family matters. Can we continue our vacation next time?" he had to disappoint his wife just to keep her safe, but she didn't know that. Her excitement to spend time with Jong Kook as husband-and-wife was immediately gone, yet she forced herself to understand his situation. "Arasso. Don't worry about me. I'm more than happy that we're still together in this marriage," she tried to hide her sadness with a fake smile.

 

'Marriage' - the one word that scared him most. As long as he's married to Ji Hyo, she won't be safe around him. Something 'bad' might happen to one of them, or maybe to the people they care. Jong Kook heaved a long sigh. He was never this stressful before. What choice does he have now?