The Friend We Needed

How Come You Don't Know?

Right after Ji Hyo has left the area, one of Mr. Kim's bodyguards seek for new instruction, "Do you want to proceed with the plan, sir?". The old man took a deep breath, "She wasn't an easy opponent. We need a better plan or she might outsmart us. I'm sure if we do something too soon.. Jong Kook will know who's behind it. He will protect his wife no matter what. For now.. just observed wherever she goes and find out how we can 'use' her against my son."

 

The bodyguard nodded. He bowed to his employer, then walked away to carry out his duty as instructed. Mr. Kim took a sip from his cup of coffee and had a deep thought about the conversation with his 'daughter-in-law'. The old man was fired up with anger, as that was the first time he was being 'challenged' by someone other than his son. "I will let you win today, Ji Hyo ssi. But tomorrow.. you will regret what you stood for."

 

As she came there in a vehicle provided by Mr. Kim's company, Ji Hyo was uncomfortable to seat in the same private vehicle. She felt like the old man was 'watching' her moves, and every second of her life was now under the radar of the Kim's family. To prevent any unwanted incident while she was away from Jong Kook, Ji Hyo arranged her own transport to the airport. She called one of the crews who worked for the "We Are In Love" production, as her network in China is very limited.

 

The person was willing to help, so she thanked him and waited at the agreed location. Every now and then, Ji Hyo scanned around. She sensed an unwanted 'presence' lurking nearby. As a precaution, the actress ensured that she was surrounded by people - in case she needed to attract their attention should anything happen. While drinking her favourite coffee at the cafe, suddenly a pair of hands covered her eyes and made her screaming in panic.

 

"Mianhae! Mianhae.. I didn't mean to scare you," he smiled at her, then took a seat next to the Ace. Ji Hyo was extremely surprised to see his face, "Omo! What are you doing here? How did you know.."

 

He chuckled, "Fortunately I was just nearby when someone called me saying that my girlfriend needs a ride. So I said.. why not?". Bo Lin  seemed to be happy with the unplanned meeting, but Ji Hyo on the other hand was getting worried about the situation. The fact that Mr. Kim's people could be watching her right now, made the actress became uncomfortable to be seen with her on-screen partner beyond the show. "Gomabseumnida.. Bo Lin ssi. But actually my taxi will be here soon," she lied in order to 'get rid' of the young actor.

 

Bo Lin grumbled and stood up. He grabbed her wrist and dragged the actress with him, "Why do you need a taxi when I can show you the places where I've been?". "I need to go back to the airport immediately, Bo Lin ssi. I sort of.. went missing in the middle of the shoot," she was hoping that her partner will understand and leave the place at once. But the young actor just nodded and proceed to open the door at the passenger seat, "As you wish.. princess. Your prince is here to serve you."

 

Reluctantly, Ji Hyo stepped into Bo Lin's car and fastened her seat belt while her eyes carefully observing the surrounding. Once he entered his car, the young actor the engine and drove away from the scene. Bo Lin the radio for a light background music - just to steer away the awkward silence. "You didn't tell me that you're coming. Otherwise.. I would have come to pick you up at the airport," he stole a glance at his passenger who was looking beyond the window.

 

"I appreciate your help, Bo Lin ssi. It was more than I deserved. But you shouldn't do too much for a stranger like me," she played with her fingers to overcome the 'uncomfortable feeling'. Bo Lin chuckled. He knew what Ji Hyo was trying to tell him, "If that's the case.. maybe you can start considering me as your boyfriend?". When she gave him a 'what-do-you-mean?' look on her face, Bo Lin corrected himself, "Well.. maybe not the 'romance' type of boyfriend.. but more like I'm-a-boy-and-you're-my-friend kind of thing. Get it?"

 

She just smiled, not sure how to respond to his proposal. Part of her was happy to welcome the nice young man in her small pool of friends, but at the same time she was concerned with the consequences of associating herself with him. Fans were already making theories about the future of Orange Juice Couple, despite the show was still new to the audience. On top of it, every small thing that happened between them might lead to reaffirmation of the theories and create a wrong perception to the public.

 

As Ji Hyo didn't say a word, Bo Lin was getting anxious, "What's wrong, Momo? You don't like the idea?"

"It's not that, Bo Lin ssi. Of course we're good as friends.. but at the same time we need to manage people's assumption about us. We might be very clear where the boundaries should be. However, that doesn't mean others will think the same as we do."

"I understand.. and I don't want to force you to accept my friendship if you're not comfortable with it. I only want to get to know you beyond the show.. as a person, not an actress. But don't get me wrong, Momo. I don't have any bad intention or anything.. it's just that your personality is very unique and I'd like to know more about you."

"Let's keep our relationship professional, Bo Lin ssi. I don't want to hope for anything beyond our show as we might hurt each other in the end," Ji Hyo shifted back her focus to the scenery outside.

Bo Lin could only sighed, "Why are you afraid to see how far we can go from here? Who knows.. we might fall in love for real."

"And that's exactly what I want to avoid, Bo Lin ssi. We're both actors. The role we play has nothing to do with our true feeling. It isn't natural and it won't last. Furthermore.. I already have a man."

 

Bo Lin made an emergency break, and his car stopped in the middle of the road. Fortunately, there was no motorist nearby. Ji Hyo's body was almost slammed against the dashboard if it wasn't because of her seat belt. She was in shock, "Yaa! What were you thinking?!". "Sorry.. I was.. did you just said.." he looked at her face to see if she was merely joking, but obviously Ji Hyo wasn't laughing. There was no sign that his on-screen partner would take back her words, so Bo Lin demand for an explanation.

 

"I'm seeing someone, Bo Lin ssi. I can't tell you the details for now.. but enough for you to know that we can't be more than friend," she said - eyes focusing on the heartbroken man. After taking a deep breath, Bo Lin resumed his driving. But this time, he just sat in silence. Feeling guilty for hurting his feeling, Ji Hyo apologized to the young actor, "I'm sorry, Bo Lin ssi. I should have told you earlier." He forced a smile. Deep inside him, a voice was screaming furiously, 'Yes you should! How can you not telling me before we went for our first date?! But it's okay, Bo Lin. It's not like she's married to that man.. so you still have a chance with Momo. A heart can be moved easily.. if you know how to do it.'