The Expectation We Set

How Come You Don't Know?

It's almost 11pm, but her man hasn't keep in touch with her as promised. Alone in her room, Ji Hyo began to get anxious. She kept tossing and turning on her bed, trying every effort to calm her nervousness. The Ace couldn't help but wonder - who is the person that Jong Kook couldn't wait to meet once they were back in Korea? Was he referring to a man.. or a woman?

 

"Aish.. you're getting jealous for nothing, babo!" Ji Hyo sighed as she scolded herself for getting worried unnecessarily. She closed her eyes and hummed a song to ease her mind, when the sound of her ringtone got her sprung from the bed. But the smile on her face immediately faded the moment she saw the caller ID. Instead of answering, Ji Hyo simply ignored her phone until it no longer ringing. After two miss calls, a text message arrived and she lazily read it.

 

Bo Lin: Momo.. are you busy right now? I have something to tell you. Can you reply to my message?

 

Though she was hesitated at first, Ji Hyo still responded to the actor's queries in case it was really urgent. So the two were having their conversation over text messages instead.

 

Ji Hyo: Hi there. I'm about to sleep actually. Anything urgent?

Bo Lin: Oh.. sorry for keeping you awake. I just want to let you know that I'll be meeting my fans in Taiwan soon for my new movie. I wish you'll be there too ;)

Ji Hyo: I can't promise. Need to check my schedule first. But in case I couldn't make it.. I  wish you all the best for your fans meeting and your movie. Goodnight.

Bo Lin: That was quick :( I thought of having a longer conversation with you, but I guess you must be really tired. Okay beautiful.. have a good rest and don't forget to dream about us. Just joking! Goodnight Momo. Can't wait to see you again.

 

The Ace took a deep breath after reading the last message from Bo Lin. Somehow she felt sad that her show with the Taiwanese actor will be ending soon, though it means that she can 'free' herself from her on-screen boyfriend and focus more on her pregnancy which strongly connected to her 'marriage' problem. Honestly since Bo Lin came into the picture, a small part of her was able to feel what it's like to have a public relationship - not having to worry about other people's perception and just enjoy the freedom to fall in love with her partner. Those were the things that would have made her life complete, yet she couldn't experience them all with the father of her child i.e. Jong Kook.

 

"Oppa.. why must you torture me with a long wait?" Ji Hyo mumbled while staring hard at her phone screen before putting it away from her sight. She closed her eyes for the second time, but still keeping her ears alert all night long. Images of Jong Kook were playing vividly in her mind, reflecting every beautiful moments of her life with the man that she loves wholeheartedly. That made her smile alone - knowing how strong her feeling has grown for her one man over the years. Despite the current situation that set them apart, never she regretted the path that they both had chosen for their marriage.

 

Just then, another phone call went through her line. This time, she answered without hesitation. "Yoboseyo.. oppa. I've been waiting for your call. So how's your meeting with your friend?" Ji Hyo couldn't help from wanting to seek an immediate explanation from her man. But Jong Kook was clueless at first, "Mwo? Friend? What do mean.. ah yeah! The one that I've told you, right? Well.. it's nothing. I just want to catch up with my friend from the high school. That's all. By the way, how's my baby and the mother are doing? Do you feel any pain dear?"

 

"So far I'm only feeling a bit tired after the long shoot. But the Dubai experience was really priceless!" she happily shared her thought about the recent Running Man filming.

Jong Kook giggled as he , "Priceless because we were in Dubai.. or your sweet honeymoon with Gary?"

"Wae? Are you jealous?" she laughed.

"Should I? Gary is not even a strong competitor for me. That's why you love me more.. don't you?"

"That's so witty! But don't feel too confidence, oppa. I might end up with someone else while in Taiwan," she spontaneously replied while chuckling on her bed.

 

That statement drove Jong Kook into a long silence. Though it was supposed to be a joke, somehow he felt a slight truth in her words. They reminded him of the conversation that he had with Tae Jun just hours before. Jong Kook knew he had to tell her soon, but he's yet to decide how. Thinking that she has offended her man, Ji Hyo immediately apologized, "Oppa.. you know I wasn't being serious when I said that. Of course there's no other man for me.. except you. I promise! Sorry if I've hurt your feeling.."

 

"Gwaenchana. I know you so well, yeobo. Actually the reason I was speechless.. is because.. I won't be seeing you again when you're gone."

Ji Hyo was slightly surprised and confused with Jong Kook's statement, "Aish.. what do you mean, oppa? Of course I will be back for Running Man shooting over the weekends. We can still see each other whenever possible. Unless.. is there something that you've been hiding from me?"

Jong Kook heaved a heavy sigh, "Ah ni! But Ji Hyo aah.. did you ever hate me.. for everything that happened to us?"

agape, "How can you ask that, oppa? I would never blame you for the things that we went through together. Ne.. I was hurt by the decision that we made, but that doesn't mean I have stopped loving you. Even when I'm in Taiwan and you're here in Korea.. nothing can change the way I feel for you and the fact that we have a child of our own. Don't you want us to stay together in the end?"

"Mian.. I feel like I have failed you over and over, yeobo. So to make up for my failures, I'd like to take you out for a date tomorrow.. before you fly to Taiwan."

"A date? Jeongmal?" Ji Hyo was shrieking in excitement when she heard the proposition from Jong Kook.

"Ne. But we can't go during the daylight.. it's too risky. Tomorrow I'll pick you up around 8. We'll have dinner first.. then do 'something' together. What do you think?"

"Sounds awesome! It's been a while since we went out as a couple, oppa. The last time.. was it the 'surprise' lunch-on-a-boat with some drama?" Ji Hyo giggled as she recalled the effort that Jong Kook made just to have her back and save their broken relationship.

"Omo.. you remember that yeobo?" Jong Kook laughed awkwardly.

"Of course I do. You've tricked me into following you on that trip.. then you destroyed the divorce paper for good! That was very dramatic! Are you going to repeat that again for our date this time?"

"Which part? The sailing.. or the lunch?"

"Aish.. not those! The part where you bravely destroyed the divorce paper.. and let the wind blew them off into the open sea. Will you be doing the same, oppa?"

 

Once again Ji Hyo's words have made him speechless. Jong Kook knew that the Ace was hoping for their divorce to be reversible, just like when they first considered it before all the chaos took place. But this time, things were different. He already agreed to the plan made by Tae Jun, so he couldn't turn back from the path that he has taken. At this junction, he needed to protect Ji Hyo and his child in any way that he can - even it would break her heart.