The Deal We Sealed

How Come You Don't Know?

Throughout their journey back to the hotel, Jong Kook didn't say a word. Ji Hyo was afraid to ask him why, so both of them remained in a total silence. Once they arrived, Jong Kook parked his car as usual - but he kept the engine running. He just sat there and leaned against the headrest, closing his eyes while letting out a heavy sigh. "Oppa, are you sure everything is fine? Cause you look depressed," she held his hand softly, hoping to calm her man.

 

Jong Kook opened his eyes and carefully observed the face of his wife. She seemed to be worried, but not as much as he is. Knowing that his father went extra mile just to search for their 'hideout' has sent a strong message that there were eyes and ears everywhere, giving more reason to fear for Ji Hyo's safety especially when he wasn't around. "Yeobo.. you're right. We were too rushing to let the world know about us. I was being selfish and didn't think of the consequences. Mianhae," he suddenly apologized to her.

 

"Ah oppa.. so that's what bothering your mind? Gwaenchanayo. I really mean it when I said that I'm willing to reveal our marriage and deal with my 'problem' later. I'm sure the producer and Bo Lin will understand," she formed a smile. Jong Kook sighed for the second time. His inner voice was screaming loudly in his head, 'That's not what I fear most, Ji Hyo. I wanted to protect you.. but I don't know how!'. Jong Kook released his hand from her, which surprised Ji Hyo who never expected his cold reaction. "Put on your sunglasses and cap when entering the building. Make sure that no one recognize you. I'll be right behind," he spoke in a serious tone.

 

A lot of questions popped into her mind, but Ji Hyo decided to save them for later. Maybe the time wasn't right, so the best thing was for her to just do as he told. Instead of walking hand-in-hand, the SpartAce kept a distance from each other. They returned to the suite safely and quickly packed up their belongings for early check out, then headed back to the vehicle in less than an hour.

 

"Ji Hyo aah.. if there's a stranger who ask you anything or try to take you somewhere, please let me know as soon as you can or call the police if you must. Also, don't forget to lock your doors and windows when you're alone at home. Tell me if there's anything suspicious," he gave a long instruction on the way to Ji Hyo's place.

She look at him curiously, "Why are you so worried, oppa? You were not this serious about me being alone before."

"Just promise me that you'll be extra careful! I don't want anything to happen to you."

"But I don't understand.."

"You don't need to. It's my responsibility as your husband to make sure that you're safe and sound."

 

It was almost dinner time when they arrived at the destination. She invited him to come in, but he declined. "I have to meet my father, remember?" he forced a smile and tousled her hair before they bid goodbye. Ji Hyo watched her husband's car disappearing to the main road, then locked her front door as advised by Jong Kook. She leaned her body against it, trying to figure out the meaning behind his words. "Does this has something to do with the conversation with his father? But why was he so concerned about my safety?" question after question was left hanging without an answer.

 

He drove his car as fast as possible to the Kim's mansion. He wanted to face his old man and explain why he couldn't be the 'puppet' of his family. However, Jong Kook knew that he needed to be extra cautious when dealing with his hard headed father. Anything could happen should he upset the head of Kim's family, including losing the one he loved most. "This is it, Kim Jong Kook. You have to be strong and save your marriage. Remember.. Ji Hyo is the only woman who deserves your heart. Don't let her go like a coward," he motivated himself as he stepped out from the car.

 

His heart was beating so fast as he approached the front door of the mansion. One of the workers greeted him and welcomed the youngest son of Kims back to the home, then went upstairs to inform the master of the house. Jong Kook made himself comfortable at the spacious living room. It's been a while since he returned to that place. Not much has changed from his last visit, of which he still remembered every details and corner of the house.

 

"I see you 'found' your way home.. my son," Mr. Kim smirked while walking down the stairs.

Jong Kook immediately stood on his feet and bowed to his father, "Mianada, but I have something urgent to speak to you." 

His father laughed and sat across him, "I will only listen if you are telling me the good news. So what it's going to be?"

"I'm hoping that you can accept what I want say to you as good news. You thought me well to be a man with principles.. and I want to thank you for that. Just like you, appa.. I want to be in control of my own family. I want to give the best for the ones I love.. and I don't want to become a coward. Because of that.. I can't give up on my marriage, appa. I love my wife very much.. so I'm here to seek your blessing and permission to take care of my family just as you do."

"Amazing.. what super power does that woman possessed to make my son a different man? Yaa.. Kim Jong Kook! Do you think I will change my mind just because you want me to?!" Mr. Kim raised his voice.

Jong Kook kept his head low, "Appa.. jaebal. Give me a chance to prove that I've made a right decision by marrying the one that I love. She may not be the daughter of your business partner, but if you give the right opportunity to her I'm sure she can do well as the daughter-in-law of this family. You just need to get to know her, appa."

"It's easier to say than done, my son. What qualifications does she has to represent my company? Why should I trust someone who knows nothing about the business?"

"She graduated with a tax and accounting degree, appa. She's well known for her 'good luck' and able to attract others with her charm. I'm sure she'll make you proud when you introduce her to all your business partners and clients."

"Aish.. jeongmal. So you really want me to approve your marriage?"

 

Jong Kook nodded. He kept praying in his heart that his father has changed his mind. He was holding his breath as he waited for Mr. Kim to continue.

 

"Geurae. I will give you a chance to prove what you've told me. In one month time.. I want her to be ready to take up a role in my company. Whatever position that I will give to her.. she has to take it and give her very best. I won't let you interfere and I don't want to hear any complaints either from you or her."

 

Hearing his father's words was the happiest moment for Jong Kook. He went downed on his knees and bowed his head with gratitude, "Gomabseumnida appa. I will talk to her and convince her to do as you wish."

 

"Not so fast. There's a rule to this," his father changed his voice to a more serious tone.

"Just say it, appa. I'll do it," Jong Kook said nervously.

"If I'm not satisfied with her performance or if she refused to do as I said.. you will file for a divorce, get married to whoever I've chosen for you and then quit your career to focus on our family business. Can you do that?" Mr. Kim smiled - offering a hand shake to close the 'deal' with his son, forseeing a 'promising victory' on his side.