The Questions We Asked

How Come You Don't Know?

Ji Hyo was not moving an inch when Jong Kook announced that he wanted to take her out in public - without a mask. She wondered why he would risk the secret that they have been 'protecting' at the cost of their happiness when it's already too late to save their marriage. Everything doesn't seem to make sense to her especially now that they have agreed to remain as 'friends'.

 

"Oppa.. what exactly are you planning to do? Walking among the people as if we're nobody?" she questioned his intent. His eyes were staring deep at her face, knowing that Ji Hyo was hesitated to be seen with him. Nevertheless, Jong Kook couldn't blame his wife for the way she reacted. It was his choice not to tell her the truth about their status of marriage. "Ji Hyo aah.. I've already said that today I will protect you as your friend. Don't you trust me?" he held her shoulders with a hope to convince his woman.

 

She focused on his eyes to search for the truth. What he asked her to do will put their career and reputation on the line, of which Ji Hyo wasn't ready to lose it. Yet her inner voice was screaming so loud - telling her to believe in the man who once she loved wholeheartedly. "Geurae.. I trust you, oppa. But I have to remind you of the consequences. Once they saw us together.. they will shoot us with endless bullet of questions. Are you up for that?"

 

"Then let me take those bullets for you. Nobody can harm my Ji Hyo.. not as long as I'm here," he smiled confidently as he offered his arm for her to cling on. After giving a thought, she slipped in her hand and let Jong Kook led the way. But just as precaution, Ji Hyo put on her sunglasses and cap to hide her 'public face'. Jong Kook on the other hand, was very comfortable in his casual attire without any effort to disguise himself. The two were safely arrived at the car park and able to leave the building without being surrounded by the fans - thanks to an employee who helped them to exit via a secret route.

 

Just as before, Jong Kook opened the door for his lady and helped Ji Hyo with her seat belt before he attended to himself. As he didn't inform anything, she became slightly anxious yet excited to have lunch with him. "Where are we going?" she asked. His face was beaming as he replied, "I've made a reservation just for the two of us. So don't worry about the presence of others cause there won't be any." Ji Hyo was amazed to hear it, "Woah.. jeongmal? It must cost you a lot."

 

He just giggled. About 15 minutes later they arrived at a local restaurant which doesn't look like 'empty' to Ji Hyo. "Oppa.. I thought you've said there won't be anyone joining us for lunch. But isn't this restaurant full of people?" she began to feel nervous just by looking at the crowd. "Stay here. I'll be right back," he unfastened his seat belt, then stepped out from the car and disappeared into the building using the kitchen entrance. He finally showed up 10 minutes later - holding two bags of food and drink with him.

 

"So.. we are having take-away lunch today?" Ji Hyo was slightly disappointed as she thought they will be going to a fine dining restaurant. Her question made him burst out laughing, "Omo.. my queen is hungry already? Mianhaeyo. I wanted to take you to the restaurant for a proper lunch, but they were having too many customers today." When she didn't respond to him, Jong Kook assumed that Ji Hyo was upset, "Gwaenchanayo. I'm taking us to a better place to eat. It's not so proper like that fine dining restaurant, but I'm sure you will love it."

 

When he parked his car by the roadside where no restaurant exist, her anxiety increased. She scanned around the area, but saw nothing except trees and bushes. "Oppa.. are you sure this is the right place?" she was hesitant to step out from the vehicle as the surrounding wasn't as she had expected. "I think so. Wait here for a second," Jong Kook instructed and walked to the back of his car to take 'something' from his trunk. He came back with a bag pack on his back, "Kaja. We need to walk from here."

 

Passing through the trees and bushes, they arrived at a beautiful beach with white sand. "Woah.. oppa. How do you know about this place? Whoah.. daebak!" Ji Hyo was no longer anxious, instead she became excited to explore the natural surrounding. Her eyes were glistening, "Oppa.. are we having a picnic lunch right here?". "Ah ni.. I have a better idea. Now close your eyes," he approached Ji Hyo and guided her way once she did as he told. "You can open your eyes now," Jong Kook stood next to his wife and presented the 'surprise' that he prepared for her.

 

Ji Hyo's mouth agape the moment she saw a medium-size boat that was painted in white right before her very eyes. Jong Kook casually held her hand as he said, "Care to join me for a lunch on this love boat, my queen?". "Omo! Seriously?" she was literally surprised - but in a good way. Never had she imagined having lunch on the water, however with Jong Kook around everything is possible. He carefully let her entered the boat safely, then helped Ji Hyo to seat comfortably while he served the food that he bought from the restaurant.

 

Once the boat has sailed slightly farther from the shore, Jong Kook joined his wife at the small table to have his lunch. "Oppa.. why do you need to go to this extreme? It must be very costly for you," she felt guilty for receiving his attention since morning. He just laughed, "Gwaenchana. It's not like I get to do this every day with you. So why not make it a little bit special than a usual lunch?".

 

"But still.. this is.." she doesn't know how else to describe it, so he filled in for her, "Romantic? Sweet? Actually I did all these because I know that you need some privacy, while I.. I just want to be alone with you."

"And why is that?" she playfully asked.

"Because I have something to tell you.. and you can't avoid me because we're on an open water."

"So.. this is a trap?" Ji Hyo cracked a joke and smiled sheepishly at the Commander.

"Sort of. This is the only way for us to have a heart-to-heart conversation.. without 'eyes and ears' around us."

But Ji Hyo didn't take it seriously, "Omo.. seems like a hard topic for me! Should I abandon this boat and jump into the water?"

 

He suddenly reached out his hand and placed it on hers, which stop her from shoving food into . It seems like he wanted to say something, but couldn't utter a word. Seeing the change in his behaviour made her confused with his reaction, "Wae oppa? Is there anything wrong?". Jong Kook took a deep breath. He gathered his courage to asked the question that has been haunting his mind for days, "Yeobo.. do you still love me?".

 

She froze for a second. His question was simple, yet difficult for her to answer. Her heartbeat began to lose its rhythm. Her palm began to sweat. She lost her appetite to eat. At the same time she heard a voice whispering in her mind, 'Why is he asking me such question? How should I answer to him?'