The Plan We Changed

How Come You Don't Know?

Jong Kook went to meet up with his wife on Sunday morning just before they had to go for Running Man filming which was scheduled at 2pm. The SpartAce were enjoying their breakfast together, washing the dishes and cleaning up the table as if the two were living in the same house. Once in a while they took the opportunity to josh one another - filling the day with joy and laughter which they hardly able to do for the past few weeks. Once all the housework done, Ji Hyo joined her husband on the couch - resting her head on his lap while he gently caressed her hair as they watched their favourite tv shows in the living room.

 

"Are you nervous yeobo?" Jong Kook began the conversation when his wife has settled down. He played with her small fingers, waiting for Ji Hyo to share her thoughts with him. Knowing the Ace, she would probably pretended that everything was fine - although it could be the total opposite of her words. It's not that she didn't trust him enough to share her problem, but Ji Hyo preferred to work out her own solution before dragging along her husband into a complex situation. So as he has expected, Ji Hyo merely replied, "I don't have a reason to feel nervous, oppa.. cause I know you will always be with me."

 

Jong Kook sighed, "Won't you feel tired? I mean.. shooting for Running Man till 2 to 3am and then wake up at 5 to get yourself ready for work at my father's office? You don't get enough rest, yeobo." She didn't answer immediately. Ji Hyo seemed to put some thinking about her husband's concern before she finally said, "I still have three days in a week for me to have a long sleep." But Jong Kook knew that it was too good to be true, "What if my father keeps you working till late at night? Or make you attend a long meeting somewhere outside of the city? You can't possibly do all that with your tight schedule, yeobo. I don't want my wife to get exhausted by the end of the day."

 

"We just have to adapt to it for the time being, oppa. Of course it won't be easy for me in the first few days, but later I will get used to it," she forced a smile - concealing her own anxiety from being detected by her husband.

With eyes gazing deep at his wife, Jong Kook trying to read Ji Hyo's mind, "But do you regret.. having to do all these when you can have a better life with another man?"

His question made her sprang from his lap and shot a confused stare at the Commander, "What makes you think that I want to be with someone else? You're my husband, oppa. I already gave myself and my heart to you.. so why do you still have a doubt about all this?"

"Mianhae. I didn't mean to doubt you or have a second thought about our marriage. It's just.. I think it's unfair to you when my father is the one who is behind everything. My family shouldn't treat you like this, yeobo. They need to respect and accept you as my wife. I'm.. I'm really, really sorry."

She patted on his back to brush off his guilt, "Give your parents time to love me as their daughter-in-law, oppa. That's why I can't screw up this one opportunity to prove myself to them. You understand what I mean?"

Jong Kook nodded. He cupped her hand softly as a gesture of appreciation, "I'm so proud of you, yeobo. You're my angel.. and the source of my happiness. I really wish that I can be a better man for you, because you deserve to have the best. Saranghae."

 

Their deep conversation was interrupted by a phone call from Jung Nam. Jong Kook excused himself to answer his phone, leaving Ji Hyo to continue watching the show on tv. Once in a while she glanced at him, wondering what was being discussed over the phone. When Jong Kook returned to the couch ten minutes later, she immediately popped a question to him. "Was Jung Nam oppa asking you to meet him?"

 

"Sort of.. but I told him that I'm busy. That's why we talked over the phone," Jong Kook heaved a sigh right after he said that. It seems like the conversation was bothering him, as he just stayed silence until she asked another question, "Oppa.. waeyo?". Without looking at her face, Jong Kook interlocked hand with his wife as he answered, "We've got an invitation to attend a music festival in Hong Kong on Tuesday. Most probably I need to fly there with Jung Nam tomorrow's evening."

 

Though she understood his concern, Ji Hyo pretended to be clueless, "That's good! So what's the problem?"

"You do remember that tomorrow is Monday, right?"

"Ne?"

"It's your first day at work.."

"And?"

He lowered his head, "I want to be there for you."

 

Ji Hyo hid her sadness with a laugh. Honestly she needed her husband to stay around in case she wasn't strong enough to face his father, but she couldn't let Jong Kook neglecting his own work just for her. As much as she wants him to prioritize their marriage, Ji Hyo knew that she shouldn't be selfish and unfair to her husband. He also has responsibility to his singing career and to his loyal fans. "You should go with Jung Nam oppa. Even if you stay here, I won't have time to spend with you. So it's better for you to attend the event than doing nothing. Besides, you and Jung Nam oppa just made a comeback as Turbo.. so this is the chance for you two to promote your music again."

 

She received a kiss on her forehead from Jong Kook, followed by a warm hug. He softly whispered, "Gomawo my love. I promise to come home as soon as I can. Even when I'm away.. you can always reach to me whenever you need to. Don't fight this alone, arachi?". She nodded and broke their cuddle. Looking at the time, they have about 2 hours to get ready for the shoot. Ji Hyo excuse herself to her room and changed her clothes, while Jong Kook waited for Kwang Soo to arrive and pick them up. The three of them have agreed to go in one car - just to avoid speculation between the other Running Man members.

 

The filming went on as scheduled, until heavy rain began to pour around 10pm. Because of that, the PD called for a break and decided to continue the next day, to which strongly opposed by Ji Hyo who already made a 'commitment' to Jong Kook's father. The Commander also tried his luck to get the PD to change his mind, but due to no other suitable time, most of the crews and casts have agreed with the PD's suggestion. So the next filming was fixed at 9am tomorrow.

 

Jong Kook saw the disappointment on Ji Hyo's face. He could tell that she was worried about the clashing schedule, as both jobs are equally important to her. He quietly approached his wife, taking her to a hidden corner for a private conversation. "I will talk to my father and tell him that you couldn't make it tomorrow," Jong Kook offered a solution. But Ji Hyo was reluctant to let her husband deal with Mr. Kim on her behalf, "Since I'm the one who gave my words, then I should let him know personally. I don't want your father to think that I 'used' my husband to run away from my responsibility."

 

"Are you sure? Because I think he would listen to me if I'm the one who inform him about this."

"Maybe.. but that will leave a wrong impression about me. So let me do this, please?"

 

Jong Kook surrendered and just nodded. As it was too late for a phone call, they decided to leave a text message for Mr. Kim - telling him that he will receive a call from Ji Hyo around 7am tomorrow. The SpartAce went home with an unsettled feeling, praying that everything will be fine for both of them. They still have a long way to go.