The People We Avoided

How Come You Don't Know?

She purposely arrived later than the rest, hoping to avoid from having to entertain a lot of questions from the members. As they had to continue with the mission to find her, Ji Hyo was separated from the rest of the male casts. In front of the camera, everything seems to be normal - including Jong Kook. Though he hardly interacted with her, Ji Hyo was happy that her husband didn't ignore her presence as part of Running Man members.

 

So when the shooting ended, the Ace went around to search for her Sparta. She saw him talking to Haha at one corner and decided to approach them, but Jong Kook immediately excused himself and left the changing room. As she desperately wanted to have a chat with Jong Kook, Ji Hyo followed her man to his car. "Oppa.. oppa please wait up!" she called to him from a short distance, but the Commander pretended that he didn't hear her. He hurriedly entered his car - locked the doors and drove away although Ji Hyo was knocking on his window and shouting his name.

 

"Give him some space, Ji Hyo. He's still upset with you. Well.. we all do," Haha who witnessed everything came to explain on behalf of the others. Ji Hyo turned to face him. She doesn't know why everyone was blaming her, "Haha oppa. I think there's a small misunderstanding here. I had an emergency call yesterday.. and the PD knows where I went. In fact, it was one of the crews who informed me about the call. I didn't mean to make everyone worried. That would be the last thing I want to do."

 

Haha shook his head, "We are not questioning why you went missing, Mongji. But we just hope you'll be more professional and not to mix up between your work and personal relationship. We all love someone.. well.. maybe not Kwang Soo, Gary and Jong Kook, but that doesn't give us the right to 'neglect' our work here and run to our wives whenever we feel like. Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"Where did you get such idea, Haha oppa? When did I neglect my work for personal matters?" Ji Hyo wasn't happy with the assumption made by her colleague.

"You went to China to meet up with Chen Bo Lin outside of your show.. didn't you?"

agape, "Is that the only part that everyone is concerned with? Ne.. I met him there. But that was only half of the story.. and by the way, who told you about it? Was it Jong Kook oppa?"

"We saw a picture of you with Bo Lin on the Internet.. and the article said that both of you went for a 'secret date' when the camera wasn't around. Here.. see it yourself."

 

Haha opened the website that he shared with Jong Kook yesterday and showed it to Ji Hyo. She read the post. The story that was written by the fan of Orange Juice Couple was unbelievably 'convincing' - even for her as the subject of discussion. It captured every detail from the viewpoint of a fan, creating a 'love story' that never exist between her and Bo Lin. "You know this is a work done by a fan of our show, oppa. Of course the way it's written was exaggerating more on us as a couple rather than the fact!" she returned the phone to Haha.

 

He kept his phone in his pocket, "So if you're not there to meet him, how come there's a picture of you two holding hands and riding the same car?".

She sighed, "He happened to be around and offered me a ride to the airport. That's all."

"So you're saying you met him by chance?"

She nodded.

"It's a bit.. how should I say.. strange, Ji Hyo. What is the possibility that you guys bumped into each other outside of the show? Almost zero! Unless.. that's what people called as 'fate'.."

"I don't believe in such, Haha oppa. You know what.. things already happened and I can't do anything to change the past. If you still think that I went there for Bo Lin.. then I can't say more except telling you that it's not the whole truth. I'm done explaining myself to everybody. Excuse me, oppa."

 

Ji Hyo walked away and went straight to her car. She drove away as fast as possible, but instead of going home, Ji Hyo made a stop by the roadside. She rested her forehead against the steering wheel and cried. Not only Jong Kook was against her, now she had to deal with the negative perception among the Running Man members. Ji Hyo felt like she was battling the war alone. No one seemed to stand with her, although she is on the good side. Everybody was treating her like the 'villain', including the man she loves.

 

"Oppa.. why can't you believe in me? What have I done wrong to deserve all these?" Ji Hyo was too hurt by the way Jong Kook reacted, and she wished that her husband would be the first to realize the truth. The fact that she still loves him made it even painful for her to accept that Jong Kook has 'thrown' her away, when now is the time that she needed him most as her pillar of strength.

 

Ji Hyo tried to control her weeping when her phone rang. The call was coming from a private number, so she was a bit hesitant to answer it. "Yoboseyo? Who's on the line?" she asked, but the other person was scoffing. "How's your day, Song Ji Hyo ssi?" she immediately recognized the person from his voice. Ji Hyo took a deep breath before she replied, "Was that a question.. or do you want to know how well your plan goes, Mr. Kim?"

 

He chuckled, "You're smart.. young lady. I guess I can just be frank with you. Hear me carefully. You must leave my son before it's too late, Ji Hyo ssi. Don't make me send you another 'reminder' of what will happen to those who are against me. What you faced right now is nothing as compared to what I can do to you in the future. So don't waste your effort and time trying to fit into our family."

"I believe you're also wasting your effort and time to convince a hard-headed woman like me, Mr. Kim. Whatever you do.. even you have turned my husband against me, I will not forfeit. I'd rather be a fallen warrior than a coward person who ran away from the fight. Although you kept asking me to be gone.. I will stick around and stand by my husband until I prove myself to you."

"I've never seen such an arrogant and a stubborn young woman like yourself, Ji Hyo ssi! What good does it do to you when you had to sacrifice everything for nothing?!"

"It's not for nothing, Mr. Kim. All that I do is for the man that I love.. the marriage that I want to protect and the future that I wish to build with my husband. You couldn't possibly understand all that until you have fallen for someone.. truly, madly and deeply. That's the beauty of love, Mr. Kim. It has no fear.. no shame and no limit. I wish to show you that when I have the chance."

"So you really want that chance?" he asked.

Ji Hyo confidently answered, "Definitely, Mr. Kim."

"Geurae. Then you shall report duty by next week. I have a 'suitable position' for you."

Though she wasn't sure if Jong Kook's father was sincere about the offer, Ji Hyo decided to accept it, "I'm honoured to accept it, Mr.Kim. Thank you for the opportunity."

"But don't get too excited, Song Ji Hyo ssi. As I said before.. you might regret your decision today. Keep that in mind."