The Vacation We Planned

How Come You Don't Know?

"Oppa.. do you realize what you just said to me?" she sounded a bit upset. Jong Kook was clueless why Ji Hyo was angry at him as he thought she would be happy with his proposal, "Wae? Did I say something wrong?". She heaved a long sigh, "How can we go on honeymoon together when we're already divorced? What sort of joke is that?!".

 

That's when he remembered that she didn't know that their marriage is still intact. Till now, he hasn't put down his signature on the divorce paper. Hence the lawyer couldn't proceed with their application and therefore his wife didn't receive any news related to that matter. However, Jong Kook purposely kept it as a secret from Ji Hyo. He was afraid to let her know the truth as that will make things awkward between them especially now that she has appeared in the Chinese version of 'We Got Married'. Also, giving up on his marriage would mean that he has succumbed to his father's demand, which still does not guarantee that Ji Hyo will be out from the radar of his family. 

 

"I'm not joking, Ji Hyo. I know it's a bit too late for our honeymoon.. which I admit that it's my fault for thinking too much about the risk that we're taking. Jaebal.. let me make up for my ignorance to your feeling as a wife. I promise that you will not regret this," he continued to plead her.

"You're making things complicated, oppa. I've already committed to do the show with my on-screen partner and you want me to be seen on a honeymoon with you? Have you thought about my position when you gave that suggestion?" she scowled.

Jong Kook just kept silence.

Ji Hyo on the other hand, was still unhappy with him, "I'm already prepared to move on oppa. That's the reason why I've decided to accept the on-screen pairing. So why can't you.. just let me be? Not that I have anything against you.."

"Geurae.. geurae. But what if.. we go out as a friend? Forget about the honeymoon thingy. Let's have some fun as two 'good friends' who really enjoy travelling together to a place where no one will recognize us. What do you say?"

"Is that even possible?" she doubted.

He replied with confidence, "Definitely! If you agree right now I will immediately make the arrangements for both of us!"

"I'm not so concern with the arrangement, oppa. But what worries me most is about us.. being 'good friends' and go on a private vacation. How can you be so sure that no one will cross the line?"

"I get it that you don't feel comfortable to be with me now that we.. you know. But Ji Hyo aah.. we were friends before we were lovers. We took care of each other and it was a great time for both of us. I am hoping that we could go back to that.. to the day when we're not a total stranger."

 

His request made her heaved another long sigh. Ji Hyo took a minute to evaluate the consequences, knowing that it wasn't an easy decision to be made. Revisiting the good old days means reopening the 'wound' in her heart - depending on the outcome of the vacation later. "When would you like to.. travel? And where?" she asked, slightly hesitant. A big smile appeared on his face, "How about tomorrow? Or the day after? I'm thinking of going to France or Australia."

 

"Mwo? But that's too far! I have another shooting in 3 days time.. then after that we both have Running Man show going on. It will be too tiring for me as I won't have enough rest for the week," she disagreed with the location due to her tight schedule. After a quick thought, Ji Hyo shared her opinion, "What if we spend a day in Jeju Island? Or Nami Island? It's just a short distance and we can come back to Seoul immediately should we have to."

 

If it was for their honeymoon, Jong Kook would definitely agreed to go to any of those places. The island has beautiful scenery and suit for romance between lovers, but that wasn't his real intent. Because of that, Jong Kook was unhappy with Ji Hyo's suggestion. "Why are you so eager to come back to Seoul? I've told you that I want to take us outside of Korea.. not somewhere near!" he accidentally raised his voice to which caught her by surprise of his sudden wrath. Jong Kook was actually worried that his father might be able to trace them anywhere within the country, hence he was desperate to take his wife farther from the lense of his father.

 

But Ji Hyo didn't know that. She thought it was strange for Jong Kook to 'force' her to leave the country, and she wanted to understand his reason for doing so. "Oppa.. please be honest with me. Why do you want us to leave Korea all of the sudden? Are we.. running away from something?" her curiosity was very high, and she won't change her mind until Jong Kook spilled out the truth. Her intuition is usually reliable, so Ji Hyo could tell that the man was not being frank to her.

 

"Ah ni. I was just hoping that we could have more privacy during the vacation. Almost everyone in Korea knows our name, Ji Hyo. We can't go anywhere or do whatever we like to without cameras or fans following us around. I want to run away from all that. I only want us to spend quality time together. Don't you want the same?"

 

"Of course I want us to have a 'normal' relationship like other couples, oppa. But the path that we have chosen made both of us belong to the public. We can't expect our fans or the media to understand our situation and give us some privacy. It's their job to keep abreast with the things we do."

 

Jong Kook had to agree with his wife. Their status as global celebrities made it harder for them to escape from the people around them, including his own family. The power of social media gave everyone a 'licence' to be an informer or a reporter. The public don't need their permission to post anything related to him or his wife. Rumours will be published as news and the whole world will believe it. Hence, privacy is definitely missing in their 'dictionary' as famous Korean stars.

 

"Mian. I was carried away with my emotion and I didn't mean to force you into agreeing with my suggestion. I hope you will still want to go on a vacation with me.. and I'll let you decide where the place is," he had to consider her view before she changed her mind about the plan. As she was a fan of a Korean drama 'Winter Sonata', Ji Hyo proposed for them to visit the Nami Island. It wasn't far from Seoul, which is another reason why she chose to go there. "So when do you want to travel?" she asked while checking out her working schedule.

 

As he was sitting in front of his computer, Jong Kook was ready to make an online reservation for one-night accommodation. "Omo! There's one room left for both of us to stay tomorrow. This is great! I'm confirming our booking. So.. shall I pick you up at 9?" he was excited with the plan, but Ji Hyo had a little concern. "Oppa.. what do you mean only one room left? Are you suggesting that we.. stay in the same.."

 

He immediately replied before she could finish her question, "Why not? It's not like we haven't done it before.."

"Yaa! When did I slept with you?!" she spontaneously denied.

"Technically.. I was the one who slept with you when you had a fever just days before. Don't you remember?" he chuckled.

As she was feeling embarrass to talk on that topic, Ji Hyo pretended to sulk, "Fine! Then I'm not going to that vacation with you."

"Aigoo.. mianada.. don't be like that my beautiful Ji Hyo. Oppa will be sad if you're not going," he pleaded as 'cute' as he can and made her laughed at the way he talked.

"Then don't try anything 'funny' on that trip oppa! I swear I'm not going to forgive you!" she threatened him.

Jong Kook just laughed, "Arasso.. arasso. Nothing funny from me.. but cute, maybe? Anyway, I'll pick you up at 9. See you tomorrow, my queen. Have a good rest and text me once you're home."

"Ne oppa. See you soon," Ji Hyo ended the call with a smile - praying for a brighter day tomorrow.