The Situation We Mistaken

How Come You Don't Know?

While one by one of her colleagues had left the building after the normal office hours, Ji Hyo was still working on consolidating account reports all by herself. Because she wasn't familiar with the documents of the company, the Ace was struggling to understand the details on the papers which are too complicated for a newbie like her. Not only she felt hard to make sense out of it, her still-tired body seemed to hold her back from focusing on her difficult job.

 

"Aigoo.. why must I feel hungry right now?" Ji Hyo rubbed her empty stomach as it growled. She hasn't eat anything since she had the instant ramyun, and now the actress was starving for food on top of her restless day. In order to stop herself from thinking about dinner, Ji Hyo decided to take a quick nap at her table. She didn't realize that someone was approaching her, until she felt a hand touching her shoulder. "Seong-Im ssi.. gwaenchanayo?" Tae Jun's voice made her sprang from her chair and screamed in panic - thinking that her workplace was haunted as she was alone on that floor.

 

The man immediately apologized for making her startled, then asked her reason for staying up late. With a big sigh, Ji Hyo explained herself to the Director of Human Resource, "I can only leave at 11.. as I report duty after lunchtime." However, Tae Jun was surprised to hear her answer, "Jeongmal? But there's no such policy that forced staff to replace the lost hours at work. Actually you're considered as taking a half-day off which will be deducted from your annual leave entitlement. Unless it was instructed by the President."

 

In her mind, she already shouted 'Bingo!' due to the accuracy of Tae Jun's assumption, but Ji Hyo just smiled without uttering the word literally. She sat back on her chair, turning away from the man and continued to focus on her computer. "I have to finish these reports by tonight, Tae Jun ssi. I will go back once I'm done," she said, yet Tae Jun just stood still and watched the actress from behind. When he heard her stomach growling, Tae Jun shot a question, "Have you had your dinner? If not, we can quickly grab something."

 

"Gwaenchana Tae Jun ssi. I had my dinner already," she obviously lied to the man, but her stomach wouldn't stop sending a 'signal' that she was actually hungry at the moment. Tae Jun just shook his head. He didn't believe her words and casually turned off her computer monitor, "That's enough for tonight. Let's go now and have a dinner together. I can't allow our staff to fall sick because of work." Ji Hyo politely declined his offer, but Tae Jun kept insisting and 'threatened' to nag until she agreed. "If I don't do this, you might skip your dinner tonight. So don't give me anymore excuses," he babbled while dragging her to the elevator.

 

They were the only two inside the confined space, so the gap between them was quite small. Ji Hyo didn't say a word while being alone with Tae Jun, which led the two in a minute of awkward silence. Once the elevator door opened, they stepped out and walked side-by-side to the exit, with him leading the way. "I know a good restaurant that still open at this hour. It's just a walking distance from here," Tae Jun pointed to the end of the road. True enough, that place was very near to their office and was the only one that was in operation at 10:30pm. It seemed like the owner was very familiar with Tae Jun, as she greeted him like a close friend and even for taking his 'girlfriend' out for supper.

 

"Ahni.. we're just friends from the same office," Tae Jun immediately denied before Ji Hyo became uncomfortable to have meal with him. The owner smiled sheepishly as she stared at the Ace, "What a beautiful 'friend' you have! She look like that famous member from Running Man. What's her name.. ah yeah! Ji Hyo." Both Tae Jun and Ji Hyo were laughing at the owner's comment, as she doesn't know that she was talking about the same person. Before the man spilled out the truth, Ji Hyo quickly chipped in, "I do hear that a lot from others. Many said that I resemble the face of Song Ji Hyo.. right Tae Jun ssi?". "Mwo? Ah.. ne.. ne. She's right," the man was blurred at the beginning before he realized what she was saying.

 

After placing orders, Tae Jun began the conversation when there were only two of them at the table, "You can just call me Tae Jun outside of the office, Seong-Im. No need to be so formal cause I'm here as your friend."

"Well.. honestly it's a bit awkward for me to do that since we just met today," Ji Hyo forced a smile as she doesn't want to offend the HR Director.

He just laughed, "I understand. But once you get used to it, you won't feel awkward anymore. By the way.. I have a question for you, but I'm not sure if I should ask it or not. It's quite personal."

"What is it?"

"Well.. you have a great career as a celebrity, Seong-Im. You're famous.. and it seems that you don't need a second job to keep you busy. So what motivates you to work in the corporate world?" Tae Jun had to soften his voice as he didn't want others to hear their conversation.

It took a while for Ji Hyo to reply, "I did it because I need to prove myself to someone."

"Meaning? Sorry if I ask too much. I was just curious."

"If I tell you the truth.. can you promise to keep it as a secret?" this time she was the one who spoke with low voice. Once he agreed, Ji Hyo proceed, "I am actually a 'family' to the Kims. That's why I took the job."

Tae Jun's mouth was slightly agape, "Jinjja? But.. Mr. Kim never said anything about having a daughter. By the way.. isn't your family name is Cheon? Or do you mean they adopted you as a daughter?"

She shook her head to deny his theory, "I haven't announced it in public, but the truth is.. I'm married to his son. Kim Jong Kook."

 

The 'secret' was a big shock to Tae Jun. He blinked his eyes a couple of time while staring at the actress with a mouth wide open. The secret that she just shared was too big, that he felt like a huge responsibility for him to carry all his life. But he knew that Ji Hyo was relying on him to keep the secret safe from others, so Tae Jun convinced the actress that he will hold on to his words no matter what. "Just one more question. If what you said is true.. which I think it is, why are you sharing it with me?" his eyes were focusing on her expression.

 

"Your position as the HR Director makes you a credible and trusted person, Tae Jun. I'm sure you know a lot about the staff more than Mr. Kim himself," she smiled. They paused the conversation for a while when the owner came to serve food for them. "Enjoy your supper. It's on the house tonight," the owner was delighted to please her loyal customer. Tae Jun was surprised by the owner's kindness, "Jinjja? What's the occasion?". The middle-aged woman replied while locking her eyes on Ji Hyo, "This is the first time Tae Jun brought a lady for late dinner. So you must be someone special my dear."

 

Tae Jun pretended to laugh as he was embarrassed by the owner's statement, while Ji Hyo began to feel uncomfortable to sit at the table with him. When he noticed her body language, Tae Jun immediately apologized, "Don't take it seriously, Seong-Im aah. She likes to tease me.. not just with you. So.. shall we eat?"

 

Jong Kook was disappointed when all his calls couldn't get through Ji Hyo's number. It seems that she had been switching off her handphone since the evening, which made him anxious and upset at the same time. Not only his wife couldn't send him off at the airport, now she couldn't be contacted even it was late at night. He wondered if his father was behind all that, or Ji Hyo just 'forget' to keep in touch with him on that particular day. Either way, Jong Kook was so desperate to fly home immediately. He can't wait to know what was happening in Korea while he was gone. Something about the 'silence' made him questioned her 'disappearance'.