The Date We Went

How Come You Don't Know?

Her eyes sparkled as she viewed herself in front of the mirror - checking out her appearance for the nth time. For a woman at her age, going out for a date with the man she loves dearly has not failed to make her heart beating wildly like a teenager. Ji Hyo had promised herself to really enjoy the precious hours with Jong Kook, knowing that such opportunity was extremely hard to get considering their 'complicated marriage life'. However, there's a bigger problem.

 

"Will he remember this dress? Omo.. what if this is not appropriate for our date? Aish.." the Ace couldn't stop babbling while having second thought about her attire. Since Jong Kook didn't share much about the date, Ji Hyo has no clue of what to wear on that night. Should she chose to wear the dress, it may not be suitable for a walk in the park. But if she picked something casual, it would be too sloppy for a romantic dinner at a fine dining restaurant. She was confused and anxious at the same time.

 

The sound of an incoming text message made her startled and cursed spontaneously. Immediately she grabbed her phone, assuming that it must be from Jong Kook. The moment she realized it was really him, her heart began to drum faster again.

 

Jong Kook: Is my queen ready for a magical night with romantic sight?

Ji Hyo: Sort of. Honestly I don't know if I'm wearing the right cloth for our date, oppa. Could you give me a hint.. pretty please?

Jong Kook: If you look outside of your window, you'll see what I'm wearing.

 

The Ace immediately did as told, and a smile appeared once she found the Commander standing next to his car - waving his hand at her. So Ji Hyo decided to change into a white t-shirt and her black jeans to suit Jong Kook's style, then complemented her outfit with a cap that is similar to the one that her man was wearing. "Mianhae.. for keeping you waiting," she immediately apologized once she approached the Commander. Jong Kook just giggled while he opened the car door for his woman, "If we're on Running Man, I would definitely have screamed at you."

 

"Your babbling is worse than a woman.. do you know that?" Ji Hyo man as she fastened the seat belt.

But Jong Kook disagreed with her comment and immediately rebutted, "Yaa! I only want the members to have some discipline. They need to be reminded once in a while."

"Have you forgotten that it's not an Olympic competition?" Ji Hyo smiled wittily at her man.

"What's the difference? We still need to give our best for the viewers.."

"You're doing it again oppa!"

"Doing what?"

"The babbling thing."

 

Jong Kook just responded with a small laugh. Indeed he couldn't help from wanting to speak his mind, but then the Commander realized that wasn't the purpose he asked her out. After a short silence, Jong Kook began their conversation with a question, "Can you guess where we're going?".

 

"Somewhere.. outdoor?" Ji Hyo replied, yet she wasn't sure of the answer that she has given.

Jong Kook stole a glance at the actress and smiled, "You're such a smart woman! How do you know?"

"Because we're wearing something casual?" 

 

The Commander nodded. Despite being well known as 'Mongji' in Running Man, Jong Kook knew that Ji Hyo wasn't always clueless of her surrounding. She's also the Ace, the lioness and occasionally the 'angry bird' of the popular variety show. Ji Hyo is a mix of everything - and that's why he fell in love with her. Her unique personality made her 'different' than the other female celebrities who came to Running Man, and the fact that she is the second most popular member after Jae Suk is something that Jong Kook was proud of to be chosen as her man.

 

"You remember this place?" he turned off the engine once they arrived at the destination. It was the same location where they had a shooting for Running Man, and there's a special reason for him to take her there. Ji Hyo was looking around excitedly, "Omo.. are you reserving these whole area for the two of us?". He nodded, "Not just that! I got a little surprise for you." Jong Kook went and took a brown paper bag from the back seat. He showed the item to Ji Hyo, "This is the same deep fried squid that I shared with you last time. Do you like it?"

 

Ji Hyo was super excited as she took a bite from Jong Kook's hand. The delicious taste of the fried squid was something that she couldn't forget, "Oppa.. this is so good! Gomawo." "Anything for my beautiful queen. Kaja.. let's take a ride on the merry-go-round!" Jong Kook grabbed Ji Hyo's hand and led the way. They had fun playing all the games at the funfair - moving from one ride to another. For a moment, the SpartAce unleashed their 'childishness' and forgot about the burden of their relationship. The two grown-ups were not afraid to behave like kids, knowing that no one was there to judge them. They laughed, joked, and chased each other in the park, until their legs were too tired to walk.

 

"So many stars are out tonight," Ji Hyo was mesmerized as she stared at the skies - lying on the ground next to Jong Kook who was gazing deeply at her face. His hand reached for hers, and they intertwined their fingers together while enjoying the view of the night skies. "One of those stars is you.. and our baby," the Commander planted a kiss on the Ace's hand. He took a deep breath before continued, "When you're miles away in Taiwan.. where I couldn't see you with my eyes, I will search among the stars and call your name everytime I miss you. Do you think you can hear me?"

 

Ji Hyo giggled, "You do know there's a thing called smartphone, don't you? We can do a lot of things with it like chatting.. video call.. sharing pictures. Oh! Maybe we should take one tonight!". She quickly took out her handphone to snap a photo of them together. Ji Hyo counted to three and pressed the camera button, but didn't expect that Jong Kook would suddenly kissed her on the cheek once the flash was on. Her face was blushing as she reviewed the picture - capturing the moment of 'surprise kiss' from the Commander.

 

"Saranghae.. my lovely Ji Hyo," the words from Jong Kook was the sweetest sound that she heard, and her lips curled upwards because of that. The Ace gazed into the man's eyes, where she found her source of happiness and the reason to fall in love with the same person who made her life more complicated with his 'family drama'. Ji Hyo couldn't deny that she was upset when he asked for divorce the second time, but knowing that Jong Kook was doing his best to protect her and their child from his father made the actress accept the fate of her marriage.

 

Jong Kook felt the sadness in Ji Hyo's voice when she said, "Saranghaeyo oppa. Please remember the way I love you.. and the reason you love me too."

"My heart is always yours, yeobo. Now.. and forever. Do you believe me?"

"I do trust you, oppa.. but I'm not sure what's going to happen in our future. Will we finally be happy in the end?" drop of tears began to travel from her eyes as she spoke about her fear.

 

The same question was haunting his mind for the past several weeks. Honestly he was searching for an answer as well, hence Jong Kook couldn't think or say say a word to comfort Ji Hyo. He just cuddled her in his arms - planting a kiss on her wide forehead as his inner voice whispered, 'Dear God, I wish I can tell her everything right now.. so I can wash away the tears from her eyes and make her smile every day of her life. I know that I am selfish for asking you this, but don't take my Ji Hyo or my child away from me while I wasn't around.. jaebal. I'm not ready to lose any one of them.'