The Confusion We Felt

How Come You Don't Know?

"Mwo? Divorce?" Ji Hyo wondered if she heard it correctly. Because of the 'drama' in her marriage recently, she was easily traumatized with that particular word. Her heart beat became inconsistent, and she couldn't think clearly. Ji Hyo kept praying that she was being delusional - denying the strange request that was made by Jong Kook's mother. But her hope shattered when Mrs. Kim replied, "Ne.. divorce. That will give you freedom to be with any of your on-screen partners. Once you're done with the show, then maybe we can talk again about your relationship with Jong Kook."

 

Ji Hyo was speechless. She felt like Mrs. Kim was reluctant to accept her marriage to Jong Kook because of her connection to Gary and Bo Lin, hence she decided to come clean by telling her side of the story. "I understand your concern, Mrs. Kim.. but the decision to involve with that show was made purely for the purpose of my work as an actress, so none of those are real. The only man that I love is still your son.. and I can assure you that it will never change no matter what happen between us."

 

The old lady heaved a sigh, "Listen to my advice, Ji Hyo ssi. I'm trying to help you here. What you did to our family has affected the bond between Jong Kook and his father. He was such an obedient child. He would never go against his father's will. So when we found out that he's married to you without consulting the family.. imagine how hurtful it was for us to be 'excluded' in such an important moment of his life. We are his parents, Ji Hyo ssi. We deserve to know everything when it comes to our child."

 

Again, Ji Hyo was caught up in the situation where she couldn't defend herself or Jong Kook. Part of her was agreeing with Mrs. Kim's point, yet her other half was telling her to keep fighting for her marriage. At that moment, she wished that her husband was there - telling her what should be done in order to brush off the guilt that gradually filling her emotion. It's impossible for Ji Hyo to be able to make the best decision when her mother-in-law was right in front of her very eyes, as Mrs. Kim's reaction and words were strongly influencing her rational mind.

 

"Jwosonghamnida. I know my words are not enough to earn your forgiveness, but please give us the chance to repent what we've done. I promise you.. that I will do my best to be part of your family," she pleaded to Mrs. Kim with a sincere apology. The old lady smiled, then gave Ji Hyo a motherly hug as she spoke to her ear, "If you really want to be part of the Kims.. then you must be willing to start it all over again. Tell Jong Kook to let you go. Once you're done with the show, then you two can remarry. This time, we will make it official. We will invite everyone to witness your 'big day' and make it the wedding of the year. No one will question your relationship because we are no longer hiding anything. Isn't that how it supposed to be?"

 

They broke the cuddle and exchanged stare for a second. The old woman was still smiling, and it seems like she was very sincere about 'helping' her to fit in their family. So when Ji Hyo tried to understand the real intent of Mrs. Kim, she was slightly convinced that it's impossible for a 'mother' to deceive her son's wife. Still, she questioned the need to get a divorce, "But.. can't we just hold the wedding ceremony as if we're renewing our marriage vow? Why should we.."

 

"Divorce?" Mrs. Kim interjected. Ji Hyo nodded and just listened to the old woman's explanation, "That's the rule set by Jong Kook's father. But don't tell it to Jong Kook.. it will make things worse between those two. Like I've said.. it's just another option for you to consider, Ji Hyo ssi. If you still feel that working for my husband is the right move, so be it. However, I know Jong Kook's father too well. He won't go easy on you.. no matter who you are. He is not someone who can be easily influence with words or anything. So don't hate any of us if he is being hard on you. That's just his way to protect the family."

 

Mrs. Kim's driver came in to remind her of the time. She nodded, then turned to Ji Hyo and smiled, "I believed I have said enough for now. Think about it and let me know your decision soon, Ji Hyo ssi. Thank you for listening to this old lady's advice. I'm sure you know what to do next." When Ji Hyo ushered her 'guest' to the door, Mrs. Kim paused for a while and grabbed her hand. "I trust you will make the right decision, dear.. even if it's the hardest thing for you to do."

 

Once Mrs. Kim left, Ji Hyo heaved a long sigh. She tried to calm herself from getting emotional, but that wasn't enough to give her the strength that she needed. After trying so hard, Ji Hyo finally broke down in tears. Water was flowing from her eyes like a river. She was literally scared of the decision to be made, and right now she hated herself for being an 'incompetent wife' that her man shouldn't deserved.

 

Though the weather was cold outside, it doesn't stop her from getting some fresh air to clear her mind. Ji Hyo strolled down the park on her own, ignoring the curious eyes of the locals who were shooting at her frowning face. She just wanted to be alone. She doesn't care how people judged her at that moment. All that matters is the pain that she felt in her heart. It's killing her.. and her soul is slowly dying.

 

While her thought wandered in space, Ji Hyo received a text message from Jong Kook. It said - 'Bogoshipeo yeobo!'. The message was short yet sweet, but enough to remind her about the 'difficult decision' that she has to make. So instead of replying with a text message, Ji Hyo thought it would be better to have a real conversation with her man. "Yoboseyo.. oppa," she only said those few words, but Jong Kook was already able to sense something from her voice. "Omo! Yeobo aah.. gwaenchanayo? Are you crying?" he asked in panic.

 

She forced herself to laugh, "Aah oppa.. who is crying? It's just that my throat is dry."

"Jinjja? Then drink enough water yeobo. I don't want you to fall sick."

"Arasso. Oppa.. can I ask you something?" she tried to sound as normal as possible.

But Jong Kook already had a bad feeling judging from the tone of her voice, "Wae yeobo?"

 

"Are you.. upset with my involvement with Bo Lin?" her question was totally unexpected, hence Jong Kook was struggling to give an answer. He can't be too honest with her, cause knowing Ji Hyo she would regret that decision for the rest of her life. Hence he was very mindful of his words, "As long as your heart is still mine.. the rest doesn't matter to me, yeobo." "Is that the truth?" she doubted. Jong Kook was getting curious, "Wae yeobo? Is there something that bothering your mind?"

 

But Ji Hyo refused to explain her real situation, "Ah ni. I just want to know if my action has hurt your feelings without I realize it. Mianhaeyo oppa. I'm just not good enough for you."

"Why are you saying such? To me you're the perfect wife I could ever asked for. So don't be sorry.. arachi?"

Again she pretended to laugh in an effort to hide her tears, "Oppa.. saranghaeyo. Please remember that."

 

The way she conveyed her love was slightly different than before. Instead of happiness, Jong Kook sensed like she was uttering a 'goodbye'. He was getting nervous. Something was definitely wrong with Ji Hyo. But.. what could it be?