The Decision We Made

How Come You Don't Know?

"Are you sure about this?" Ji Hyo had been asking the same question for the third time, yet her husband merely responded with a silence. Jong Kook kept his head low all the time, avoiding his wife's intense stare when he asked for divorce. It was a very difficult topic to discuss over dinner, but Jong Kook couldn't wait to get out from their 7-months old marriage that was built on love. He strongly believed that it's the best option for now if he doesn't want to hurt her more than he has. Though they used to have beautiful memories when they were together, it doesn't give him the right to play with her heart.

 

Uncomfortable with the long silence, Ji Hyo blurted out her disappointment, "You know.. this is why we couldn't work things out as adults. I'm trying my best to talk to you, but you just ignore me as if I don't exist." "Yaa! Do you realize how often you put the blame on me? Whether at home or at the shooting.. why is everything became my fault?" Jong Kook finally let out his frustration after holding it deep within him. Honestly he'd rather be somewhere else than to sit with the woman who made his blood boiled, but he can't walk away from his 'problem' until they found a resolution.

 

Ji Hyo refused to let her tears fall from her eyes for that man, so she took a deep breath to calm herself before uttering another word to her current husband. She wondered if it worth to fight for another chance, when obviously Jong Kook was no longer interested in keeping their relationship from falling apart. "So tell me.. tell me oppa. What is my fault that make you want to give up like this? What wrong have I done to deserve all these?!" her voice cracked as she was about to break down in tears, but Jong Kook was used to see her getting emotional in their conversation. She cried a lot for the past four months of their life together, which he couldn't understand why and how to make it stop. Ji Hyo was everything to him when he decided to marry her, but now the same woman made him feels like wanting to disappear from the world where she lives in.

 

"You and I being together.. that's just wrong. We don't fit," he simply answered to which she felt difficult to accept his explanation. Ji Hyo knew that Jong Kook is not the kind of man who can say what's on his mind, yet she couldn't help from wanting to know his reason for ending their marriage. She reflected all the incidents that occurred for the last couple of months, then suddenly she remembered something. A face of a young woman appeared in her thought, and that made her scared of her own assumption. "Was it because of Moon Geun Young? You've decided to marry that girl.. isn't it?".

 

Jong Kook eyes widened when Ji Hyo mentioned the name of the girl that his parents wanted to have as their daughter-in-law. He couldn't blame them for not knowing about his connection to Ji Hyo, because their marriage was a secret to everyone. That was decided together with his current wife as they both are bounded by the contract with the Running Man production that doesn't allow the casts to have a relationship beyond their professional boundaries. "Don't bring someone else into our problem, Ji Hyo. Just accept the fact that our marriage is not meant to be," he spoke in a firm voice.

 

Ji Hyo stood up from her chair. She clenched her fists to control her anger, not wanting to attract other eyes on them as that will lead to more speculations from the public. "Geurae. I think we don't have anything to talk about anymore. You seemed to made up your mind.. so I just want to wish you best of luck with your new wife," once she said those words, Ji Hyo took her belonging and left the restaurant without looking back. She lowered her cap so no one would notice her tears, and immediately got into her car that was parked at the VIP area. Alone, she let out her sadness for almost half an hour, then decided to make that phone call she has been postponing for weeks. This time, she wasn't hesitated.

 

(The next day at Jong Kook's place)

 

After his morning exercise routine, Jong Kook went to grab his healthy drink from the kitchen before throwing himself on the couch and surfing online articles that relate to him. A heading of a write-up almost made him spilled out the water from his mouth, "Mwo?! Song Ji Hyo has agreed to appear in the Chinese version of We Got Married?!". He quickly search for similar articles about that news, only to find out that it wasn't a joke. Unconsciously, Jong Kook grabbed his phone and speed dialed a number. The caller seemed to expect his call, "Yoboseyo. I guess you want to ask me about the news.. isn't it?"

 

"Wae? Why did you agree to such thing? How can you accept that offer when you're someone's wife?!" he raised his voice at her in anger, yet she responded with a scoff. Arrogantly, Ji Hyo justified her action, "The last time I remember.. that 'someone' is asking for a divorce. So what's the problem now?".

 

"Just because we're getting a divorce.. doesn't mean you can go and have fun with younger man without my permission! Now drop yourself from that show or else.."

"Or else what? You're going to tell everyone about our marriage?" she cut him off.

He went into silence.

Ji Hyo continued to argue, "I knew it. You'll never change, Kim Jong Kook. Even when you had that chance.. you let it go because your status and career are more important to you. I'm just not worth it.. am I?"

"You know best why I did that.. don't you? We made that decision together. So why is it my fault now?!"

"I agree because I thought you need time to convince your parents, Kim Jong Kook. But I guess it will never happen even after I've waited for centuries. Further more.. your parents have chosen their 'favourite' candidate for you. I'm not in their list."

"So you're putting the blame on my parents now?!" he was getting furious.

"I don't blame anyone, Kim Jong Kook. I'm just accepting the fact that we're not meant to be together.. just as you said," she reminded him of the words that he told her.

 

Honestly he doesn't know why he was reluctant to let her go, when that was the whole plan for asking a divorce from Ji Hyo. Their marriage went through a lot of challenges just to hide it from others, and one of many reasons that he hates about it was having to 'share' her affection with other men i.e. her fanboys. Jong Kook felt like he was the only one 'protecting' his heart from an outsider, when his own wife keeps giving attention to male players in Running Man or her co-star in movies and dramas. All that videos and comments from her fans about how she perfectly 'fit' with any young man made his heart shattered, but she never seems to notice it. Now, she even decided to play romance with another good looking guy for entertainment purposes which could last even beyond the show. That was totally unacceptable.

 

After a long silence, Jong Kook doesn't know why he let Ji Hyo ended the call before he could say more. He should have been able to convince her not to do it, but recently he found himself struggling to express his feelings for his wife after they had a fight. Has his heart stop loving that same woman? Or was it because he doesn't want to disappoint his parents who wanted him to marry Moon Geun Young? He let out a big sigh. Jong Kook closed his eyes while leaning his back on the couch, asking himself a big question - how is he supposed to face Ji Hyo during the Running Man shooting tomorrow?