Chapter 38

Department X

Jessica turned to face the person even though she already knew who it was. Her worst fear was reconfirmed as she looked into the tear stained face of her fiancee. Jessica closed her eyes as the fact slowly sunk deeper and deeper into her as the feeling of betrayal ate into her tearing her heart apart. She gasped in the pain that she was experiencing and bit down hard on her lower lips as the coppery taste of blood filled . The pain that she had inflicted on herself wasn't enough to countereact the pain of her heart being slowly ripped into bits. Prying Yuri's fingers off her waist,

Jessica pulled a glock 19 from her thigh holster and pointed it at Yuri. Her face was completely void of any emotions and she spoke with steel in her tone "So when were you planning to tell me about your part time job?" Yuri looked down the barrel of the pistol and smiled as a drop of tear slowly rolled down her cheek. "So this is how everything is going to end huh. I thought you were just a simple barista who lived a normal life so I didn't let you know about my line of work as I didn't want to complicate your life. But I guess I was wrong. Our path were destined to cross from the start. One way or another I would have met you and it would still boil down to this situation eventually." Closing her eyes, Yuri broke into a smile. "At least I get to die by your hands. I guess god is still kind to me in a way." Jessica's hand quivered as she clenched and unclenched her jaw to fight the tears that were battling to come spilling out. Looking at the smile on Yuri's face, the memories they shared flooded back to her bit by bit crashing against the weak barrier she had enclosed around her heart. The gun dropped with a clatter on the floor as Jessica brushed past Yuri. A hand gripped her wrist tightly as she heard a voice that was barely above a whisper "please... don't leave." The tears she fought hard to keep back welled up in her eyes as she pried her hand off the grip and left the room as sobbings erupted from behind her.

Jessica crashed out of the house and ran as fast and as far as she could away from it. Stumbling through the forest, she didn't care if she got whipped by the branches or not, she just wanted to get as far away as she could from the villa, from Yuri. She finally made it to the container truck they were using as a mission control room and staggered up the steps as she crashed into Taeyeon's arm and howled as the barriers she created around her heart cracked together with her heart and shattered into a million pieces.

========================================================================================

Jessica locked herself in the room for weeks refusing to meet or speak to anyone. She would leave only at night and come back staggering drunk and injured all over. Taeyeon and Sunny tried every method they could to prevent her from degrading herself further but nothing worked. This was a barrier she had to learn to overcome herself.  On the other hand, Yuri wasn't in any better shape as she had taken over the responsibilty her father had shouldered for the past years and stepped in as the new CEO of Kwon industries. She overloaded herself with work and she used the excuse of entertaining clients to numb herself with alcohol almost every other night.

Yuri staggered out of the club ending the night of entertaining clients who seemed more interesting in getting her into bed than doing a deal with her. As she past through the back alley to hail a taxi back, a rowdy crowd gathering around a figure on the floor grabbed her attention. Stumbling over to take a look, she tripped and landed on top of the figure who was lying all bloodied and bruised on the floor. Looking through half closed eyes, Yuri recognised the figure immediately. It was a face that she would not and could not forget ever. It was the face of Jessica. She had her eyes closed and the smell of alcohol lingered on her, blood matted her hair and face but Yuri was confirmed this figure was Jessica. Screaming at the figure to fight back, Yuri shooked her as Jessica's eyes remained closed. A smile of release formed slowly on Jessica's face as a drop of tear rolled down from the corner of her eye. Yuri turned to the group of guys whom by now had retreated a litte terrified by the dark aura that emanated from her. Wails and shriek radiated all round the dark alley as Yuri gently picked Jesica up and left as the group of men that had gathered just now laid in a bloody heap on the ground.

Yuri gently placed Jessica on the bed taking care not to injure her further as she busied around grabbing items neccesary for dressing of wounds. Gently cutting open her shirt, Yuri was horrified to see Jessica's body covered in bruises and scars. Some looked self inflicted while the others spoke of the tortures she had placed herself through. The pain she thought she had placed aside surged through her body as tears trickled down her cheek and landed onto Jessica's body. Yuri's hands worked gently as she struggled to clean up every wound and bruises she could see. After the last wound was attended to and cleanse, Yuri got up as she needed to wash the cloth that was now matted with specks of blood. A hand grabbed onto her wrist and pulled her back preventing her from standing up as a voice sounded in the dark, "You missed a spot" The hand dragged the cloth on Yuri's hand and placed it over where her heart was. Yuri looked up and glanced into the opened eyes of Jessica and the old passion between them got ignited as their eyes met. Yuri bent down to kiss the lips that she has been dreaming of day and night and all hell broke loose when their lips met.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Morning came the next day and it was the first time in weeks the two of them ever rested. Jessica had her arms around the bare waist of Yuri as she snuggled closer enjoying the faint smell of perfume mixed with a hint of alcohol on Yuri's body. Jessica chose to keep her eyes closed as this was a scene that would only appear in her dreams at night and she didn't want it to end. She heard her phone ring somewhere beneath them but she chose to ignore it. Just a while more, just let her have a while more to savour this precious moment. The phone continued to ring persistantly as Jessica irritably forced herself to open her eyes. Covering her ness with the duvets, she searched around for her phone and finally found it inside her jeans which had somehow ended up beneath the bed they shared. Answering the phone with a hint of annoyance, she growled as Taeyeon's voice greeted her. The following sentence awoked her fully as each word striked hard on her heart. "We have a new mission. Protect Kwon Yuri at all cost because her life is currently in danger."