63 The Heart's Needs

Sacrifice

On that Saturday, the two of you had arranged to meet up at his house, so the two of you could begin the project. After Luhan’s little trick to force you to stay his partner, you had decided to make the best of the situation.

If this was really the way it was going to be, you might as well take the chance to try and get closer to him. To be completely honest, you had pretty much given up on the idea that you would be able to live anymore.

These last days, you just wanted to make Luhan happier and properly bid him goodbye.

After careful consideration, you had realized that feelings can’t exactly be forced.

You knew that that everything that was once full of joy also had an end, but even so, you were glad you had met Luhan.

You were glad that you were a part of his life and you were gladder that he accepted you even as this second identity. However, even more than all that, you felt like the luckiest girl in the world when Luhan confessed to you on the day you died.

You knocked on his front door as you adjusted the strap of the bag on your shoulder. Within seconds, a tired Luhan came to open up the door. It looked like the boy had just waked up from his sleep – his hair messy and his eyes drowsy.

“Morning?” you gave him a sheepish smile.

Luhan rubbed his eyes and blinked a couple of times, “You’re early.”

Furrowing your eyebrows, you glanced at your watch, “Didn’t we arrange to meet up at noon? It’s already time.”

“Really?” he yawned, “Well, come in then. I guess I may have overslept just a little.”

You stepped into his house and made your way to the living room area. You set down your bag and began to pull out everything you thought you might need – pencils, pens, notebooks, paper, and more.

Luhan made his way back to his room, so he could at least dress a bit more nicely and have a better appearance in front of you. He has never actually looked so messy in front of any other person, so he wasn’t exactly used to it.

If he wasn’t so stubborn, he would’ve actually admitted that he was a bit embarrassed.

“So, for the project, I began to think about some possible topics,” you called out to him, “She did say to pick out things that we would like, didn’t she?”

Luhan rapidly fixed himself up as he came out of his room, “Yeah, she did. Did you have something you want to research about?”

With an excited expression apparent on your face, you gave him a wide smile, “How about something about sports? Something like… soccer!”

You had come up with the topic by combining yourself and Luhan. You remembered Luhan’s favorite sport was soccer while you had once been extremely into sports. Sports had once been a major part of your life before you health began to deteriorate.

“Soccer?” Luhan blinked a couple of times, “I'm fine with it but I didn't know that you were into sports.”

You nodded, “Of course. Once upon a time, my life revolved around the athletic program. I know it doesn’t seem like it now, but actually, I only have one goal in my life right now.”

“What is it?” he asked, curious.

You placed a single finger perpendicular to your lips, "Secret!"

"Is everything a secret with you?" Luhan mumbled, a bit annoyed.

The two of you sat down next to each other in front of a table. A laptop sat in front of the two of you as you pulled out a notebook, jotting down the topic that the two of you had agreed on: Soccer.

As the research begun, you couldn't help, but sneak glances at Luhan every now and then. He just seemed way too perfect a boy that actually fell for you once upon a time.

Nevertheless, you didn't allow him to distract you too much. You helped take notes and cite the sites that you had decided to use. Luhan helped gather the information from the history to famous players. Before you knew it, the two of you had an entire outline planned out.

You began to type the outline onto the computer since one of the items the rubric called for was an outline. Quickly, you had created one that would make it easier for the two of you when you began to type the rough draft. Smiling to yourself, you felt accomplished.

Suddenly, you felt something hit your shoulder. A bit alarmed, you quickly looked over only to find the sleeping face of Luhan. Seeing those well-defined features of his face, you felt your heart begin to pick up in speed.

As you thought, his face was extremely beautiful. Slowly, without realizing it, you began to lean in. There was something about him that seemed to capture your attention without fail.

Then, you kissed him.

His lips, soft against yours. It was a sweet sensation – the kiss, I mean. You could feel all your feelings surfacing once again as your lips were against his. The rapid heartbeat, thudding in your chest – the proof of all your love for him – clearly had not gone away.

As you pulled away slowly, you felt something wet in your eyes. Were these tears? Bitterly, you laughed to yourself. However, the laughs didn't sound happy. They were more comparable to sad cries.

You knew that you didn't want to leave him at all. You didn't want to leave Luhan here while you had to disappear. You had thought you only wanted him to be happy.

That, in reality, was not the case.

"...I love you Luhan," you silently cried into the palm of your hand, careful not to wake him.

You had lied to your heart.