28 His Pain

Sacrifice

“…It’s nothing special,” he replied slowly, “My past is nothing special, so you don’t need to know. It’s probably better for you not to know anyways.”

Sighing, you took his hands, “How can I know how to help you guys if I don’t know what’s going on?”

“You’re not helping us. It’s way too dangerous,” he emphasized once more, “Way. Too. Dangerous.”

He made sure to annunciate every syllable as he spoke just to create the effect that the situation was bad and should be avoided if possible.

However, you weren’t going to let him get off so easily. Maybe it was true that you couldn’t save him, but at least you could give it a shot.

“If you won’t tell me, I’ll ask one of the people from your pack,” you replied, “If I tell them I’ll only heal your friends on the condition they tell me what they – you – have gone through, then they’ll tell me immediately. They don’t care for me as much as you do.”

Luhan’s body stiffened noticeably and you knew you had got him wrapped around your fingers – metaphorically of course. Then, he began to speak.

“The pack that Kai had gone off to get is my only family as of now. There are twelve of us, including me. It all began about a few years ago when each of us were picked up off of the street since we were all runaways – some from Korea, others from China.

Each of our families was a part of our own abusive past and we were in our lowest mental state when we had gotten chosen.

They had offered us a home, a place to stay. Thinking it was a chance to start over, we had all agreed to go with them. At first, they treated us well. They nursed us back to health and kept us happy, but it was all a game to them.

One afternoon, we were drugged. Once we awoke, each of us found ourselves locked away in a metal cage that was wrapped in lengths and lengths of metal chains – completely indestructible.

These people then revealed that they were actually a bunch of scientists and we were their test subjects.

To avoid the human experimentation ethical issues, they did something to us. They changed us into inhuman beings.

What they had done was perfect their own drugs that were supposed to give the taker supernatural abilities. However, in each of these drugs was something special that was repeatedly used.

It was the sole ingredient that had the side-effect of changing people into the form of a wolf.

Once they had established that we were no longer human, they did whatever they wanted. If the drug failed to give us the supernatural ability they wanted, they would beat us as if it was our fault.

It wasn’t even a physical beating with fists.

What they did was shock us – electrocute us – with thousands and thousands of volts. Occasionally, they would take a whip and hit us with it real hard or cut us with knives and let us bleed out the faulty drug.

Our cries, our pain – they were unheard. We were in the middle of nowhere.

Soon enough, we each got a gift like they had wanted: Flight, frost, earth, lightening, fire, teleportation, water, air, light, time control, healing, and telekinesis. Some of us immediately revealed our abilities to those scientists – hoping they’d stop the abuse. They didn't. They always wanted more, to make us stronger.

Sometimes, we’d reveal our gifts on accident due to our inability to control the powers.

Others, like me, hid the ability. If we were to plan a secret escape, those scientists had to believe we had nothing – that we were weak and useless. That way, they’d let their guard down and we’d have a chance to escape from that hell,” Luhan’s voice became quiet, “…When we escaped, they chased us as if there was no tomorrow.

We split up to find our secondary home, a shelter. It was found by us before the place became hell. We used to go out together and we had found it on accident without their knowledge.

However, it’s has now become our one and only safe house – our last hope. We had gotten separated in the chase. They had chased me and I was forced to go in the opposite direction onto lands I’ve never ventured on before.

That was when I found you."

Luhan's eyes were full of anger and a bit of sadness. You couldn't believe what you were hearing. This was what he had gone through? Those bastards. How dare they hurt innocent people like this?

"What the hell did they want?!"

"...Power. World domination. Take over the human race. To create a supreme race of beings that would become the new leaders of the world."

You couldn't believe your ears. These ing idiots were aiming to take over? Not. A. Chance.

These people needed to die.

No.

They needed to burn in hell.