55 Talks

Sacrifice

You sighed as you pushed open the door to your new – but temporary – home with Hamin.

You were tired after a day of trying to remember your new appearance and identity. However, you were more depressed that the day didn’t go the way you wanted it to.

Hamin saw you trudge into the house with an upset look which made him curious, “I’m guessing today didn’t go as well as you thought?”

“Luhan’s different,” you mumbled, “This is going to be much harder than I thought.”

The thought caused you to become a bit gloomy and also pessimistic. You had thought that Luhan would at least give you a chance at being friends, but now, the situation seemed closer to being hopeless than it did before.

Could you really win this game of his?

Shaking his head, Hamin placed a cup of tea in front of you before sitting down, “Of course he’s different. Wouldn’t you become different after the love of your life ran off to die without telling you?”

“It was for his own good!” you countered, huffing lightly, “I did it, so he won’t get hurt! That’s a perfectly sound reason to do it, alright?”

“Was it really?” he raised an eyebrow, doubting your words.

You paused as you glanced back at him. Were you wrong? You had believed you had done the right thing back then.

I mean, you didn't think that anyone would want the person they cared the most about in the world to be hurt because of them.

Nodding slowly, you replied, “Wasn’t it a good reason?”

“Humans are so interesting,” he chuckled as he leaned back in his chair, “Always thinking about situations from their own perspective. Have you ever thought about what’s going through Luhan’s mind right now?”

You opened your mouth to blurt out that you did know what Luhan was thinking right now, but you hesitated.

You realized that maybe you didn’t know Luhan as well as you thought you did before. Maybe you just didn’t think about the whole situation from his point of view.

“What are you talking about?” you asked slowly, “The situation from his point of view? I thought he was just sad since I was gone – he misses me, right?”

That was the only thing you could think of that seemed to make at least some sense to you. You didn’t know what else could Luhan could get from a situation like this.

“Okay, let me say it this way,” he began, “If someone you loved and trusted suddenly disappeared from your life without a word, how would you feel?”

The first emotion that came to your mind was again, sadness. However, the look upon Hamin’s face didn’t seem to think it was just sadness. Even Luhan had seemed to lock his heart away and become colder.

What would cause something like that?

You thought back to the situation at the time. You had already used up all ten of your abilities without letting him know – but allowing Chanyeol and Baekhyun to. You had secretly snuck off to meet with the experimenters that made his life hell. You had finally pushed him away in his moment of confession and told him to forget you.

You left him without giving him a chance to say goodbye.

You left him without letting him know what was happening.

You left him in the dark.

A moment of hesitation came from you as your eyes slowly widened, finally realizing what he could possibly be feeling, “…He feels betrayed?”

“Bingo,” the God of Death stated as if the answer had been clear as day, “Of course, sadness and disappointment are also present. However, betrayal is quite a bit part of it, don’t you think? You’ve kept many secrets from him when he knew you as Jung Hayeon and always tried to be independent.”

“I was raised to be an independent girl,” you countered quickly, a bit stubbornly.

He rolled his eyes, “Wow, humans are stupid.”

Annoyed, you picked up a sofa cushion and you hit him in the arm, “Like you’re any smarter. Besides, you just said we were interesting, didn’t you?”

Immediately, he grabbed the cushion before any contact was made. You had forgotten he wasn't exactly a human that could be messed with. He still had his abilities when yours had disappeared.

With a confident voice, he replied nonchalantly, “Humans are interesting because they are stupid.”

Then, he stood up and left you alone, dumbfounded yet a bit thankful too. You were glad that Hamin had come down with you to act as your new caretaker of sorts. He may not have realized it, but his words did manage to build your confidence once more.

After all, today was only the first of seven days.

Tomorrow, you would try harder.

Definitely.