60 Helpless

Sacrifice

“You realize that at this rate, winning is going to be impossible right?” Hamin asked as he lounged upon the living room chairs, “You’re almost running away from him. I thought you trusted him to find out who you were and fall for your heart again?”

You sighed as you watched him, “I do trust him. I trust him a lot.”

“Then why are you – “ Hamin began to ask, but you interrupted him abruptly.

“I don’t trust myself, alright?” you hid your face behind your hands, “I’m so stupid! You don’t understand at all. I nearly told Luhan that I was who I was. I nearly lost to you because of my carelessness. How am I supposed to trust myself to be near him again?”

It was true.

After you had accidentally told Luhan that maybe this wasn’t all a coincidence and it wasn’t up to chance, you couldn’t remain calm and collected. It almost pushed you over the edge when Luhan had commented that you still had the same eyes.

How were you supposed to explain that?

You couldn’t tell him it was another coincidence, could you? That’d just be another excuse that he wouldn’t believe. Because of him, you were literally making yourself go insane.

As a result of being confronted by Luhan like that, you had chosen to get away. You had ignored his words and turned around and left the building in a flash.

You had chosen that running away was the best option.

“So that’s it?” Hamin raised an eyebrow, disappointment evident in his face, “You’re just going to give up like this? I thought you were going to be different.”

Hearing those words, you turned to face him, “Different? What do you mean?”

“It’s not the first time I’ve seen people met with challenges. Many of the just give up like the way you’re doing right now,” he replied, crossing his legs, “You know, when I saw you giving up your life for the wolf-boy, I was extremely shocked. You didn’t seem like the kind of person to do something like that. Weren’t you afraid of death?”

Nodding, you replied, “I’ve always been, but it was different then. If it’s for Luhan, I’m willing to sacrifice myself for him.”

“Then why are you hesitating now?” Hamin asked, “You still love him, don’t you? Why did you run away from him earlier?”

You wanted to tell Hamin that it was because you were afraid of being dead once more, but then, you paused. Why were the words from the God of Death so rational?

His words always made you feel like an idiot.

“It’s because I want to be with him,” you mumbled softly, “Because I don’t want to go back to the afterlife and leave Luhan here by himself, broken.”

“Exactly,” he stated, “Are you going to do that by staying away from him? Seriously, you need to pick up your game. By running away again and again, the end is clear – I’ll win and I’ll be taking you with me when I go. Is that really what you want?”

Shaking your head, you told him that it wasn’t what you wanted. You hated the situation that you were put in – even if it was a second chance. However, just like how a second chance is hard to be obtained, it was also hard to grab this chance.

It was hard to seize the chance and get Luhan to fall for your heart. To be completely honest, you didn’t even know how you were going to do it.

All you knew was that for Luhan to fall for your heart, he had to know who you were.

It was evident that his feelings still were with the Jung Hayeon he once knew. He still loved that part of you even now, so as long as he knew she was you, you would win Yu Hamin and everything will return to normal.

Unfortunately, for him to know that part of you, you had to tell him your identity.

It was almost as if the situation was one that was not going to turn out well for you in the end. It didn't matter what you did or what tricks you tried, you would be going in circles.

Really, what were you supposed to do now?

If everything was going to happen in Hamin's favor, what would your next move be? You were so lost. Nothing you could do was right. Your heart ached from long for Luhan this long.

How could someone be so close, yet so far?

Why was love so hard to have? All you wanted was Luhan to smile again and unlock those feelings of his. You wanted him to enjoy the life he had now and forget about the past. You wanted him to be happy.

Holding a sofa cushion in your hands, you buried your face into it, "...I'm sorry for being so weak Luhan."