05 Special

Sacrifice

“W-What’s going on?”

You couldn’t believe your eyes. This was just impossible.

In front of you, the wolf had found its way to your living room. He had curled down by the fireplace while you were on the sofa.

Didn’t you pass out on the stairs? What were you doing here?

That wasn’t what made you the most suspicious – It was that when you came to, you realized that you had somehow appeared on your sofa with a blanket covering your body and a pillow under your head. It was almost as if someone had taken the liberty to tuck you in and make sure you were comfortable.

Your head swiveled around, hoping to find out an explanation, but you didn’t notice anything. There was no one in the house but you – You and the wolf.

As you moved from the sofa, you didn’t take your eyes off of him. Something was weird about him. Making your way closer to him, his ears perked up and he picked his head up from the ground, look at you.

“You,” you began, but you didn’t know what to say next, “You…”

How were you supposed to question an animal about what had happened? Especially one that was locked up in a room!

You paused, “…How did you get out?”

Wolves shouldn’t know how to escape from locked rooms. It just wasn’t possible… unless, she was right. Was this wolf was special?

You thought for a second. That was a possibility since she had never seen such a beautiful white wolf before in all the years she had lived in her house – isolated from society.

“Paw,” you said as you crouched down in front of the wolf.

You held out your hand and you waited for his reaction. He gave you a confused look but stayed motionless overall. A slight pout formed on your lips – You were wrong.

“Nevermind then.”

Flopping back down on the sofa, you wondered what you should call him. Muttering a couple of names, the wolf seemed to make weird faces at you. Every name you called out, he continued to make a soft growling noise.

At first, you were scared that it was because he was angry, but then, you realized it was his way of saying ‘no’.

“Hey,” you leaned closer to the wolf, “Do you understand what I’m saying?”

It was a question that had you curious and looking for the answer. You didn’t think it was possible, but judging by his reactions, you knew that it wasn’t impossible.

Another sound that sounded like a laugh came from the wolf and you blinked in surprise, “Did you just… laugh?”

As far as you knew, animals were not able to laugh and especially not laugh like a human. It was extremely odd as far as you knew.

You paused, staring at the wolf, “Maybe I’m over thinking it.”

Pulling yourself together, you decided that it was best just pretend nothing weird was happening.

That way, you wouldn’t have to try so hard coming up with a realistic explanation – not only that, but your head wouldn’t hurt anymore from thinking so much.

Your body was weak enough and there was just no reason for you add headaches to the list of symptoms you had been getting ever since you healed number seven.

It was then that the wolf began to paw at the carpet. At first, you were annoyed that he was already messing up your furniture.

You told him to stop, but he didn’t listen.

Then, you realized he was just pawing at the carpet – he was… writing something?

You couldn’t believe your eyes.

Once he stopped, he took a step back, his eyes meeting yours.

“Luhan,” you tilted your head, reading what he wrote.

Though surprised, you realized that this wolf was indeed special.

You were able to confirm that thought and another too You realized that Luhan did actually understand the words that you spoke, that came out of your mouth.

You’d never met any animal that knew how to write and understand you. Even though it was extremely out of the ordinary, you knew that spectacular things existed since you were the prime example.

That was why you didn’t want to question it anymore.

Luhan was a wonderful name for this amazing wolf.