21 The Couple

Sacrifice

When you arrived on scene where the cry for help had been called, you realized it was a mistake to let Luhan come along. As Luhan caught up with you, the two of you were faced with an elderly couple.

They were lying in a small cave they took shelter in and by the looks of it, the old man had just passed away.

The old woman covered , sobbing, “Y-Yeobo…! Oh God, please let this be a dream. Please, I beg of you. I can’t… I can’t lose him!”

Luhan rushed on over and placed his index and middle finger against the old man’s throat, feeling for a pulse which had stopped. He looked at you sadly and even with speaking, you knew that look. He had just confirmed the old man’s death.

“…What happened?” you asked as you came forward, bending down next to the old lady who couldn’t stop her tears from flowing down her cheeks.

She couldn’t help but choke on a sob, “I don’t know. He just… he just froze and clutched at his heart. Then he had trouble with breathing and… and – “

It didn’t look like she would be able to finish her sentence. You didn’t know what to do, so you decided to comfort her first. You wrapped your arms around the lady, hoping to help her find some comfort. However, anyone could tell how heartbroken she was and a couple words of comfort wasn’t going to heal her.

“It must’ve been a heart attack,” Luhan mumbled, examining the old man, “That’s the only explanation, I can come up with based on what she said had happened.”

“No,” you replied, “It’s not that. He just… fainted,” you gave him a small smile and then you looked at her.

She hesitated and then slowly glanced at you, her tears stopping, “J-Just fainted?”

You nodded, but then, Luhan grabbed you and pulled you to the side. His facial expression didn’t seem that happy with your huge lie.

“What the hell are you doing?” his voice lowered, “The man has no pulse. There’s no way he fainted!”

Pulling your arm away, you replied just as firmly, “No. He fainted. You probably didn’t check close enough.”

It was at that moment that you pulled away from Luhan and made your way over to the man.

You asked the old lady to take Luhan and step out for a moment, so you could have some alone time with the man to help wake him up from ‘fainting’.

Although Luhan was hesitant to go, the old lady did what you asked and Luhan was removed from the room. Sighing, you glanced at that five on your wrist. If this man really had been dead then a lot of energy was going to be drained from you just to revive him.

However, you really couldn’t leave him be – it would just kill you internally if you left that lady heartbroken.

Placing your hand against the man’s chest, a warm glow began to emit from your hands. The glow enveloped the man and it caused your to collapse for a second next to him. It was then that you heard coughing and you glanced over at him.

“W-What happened?” he was still a bit dazed as he begins to stand up.

Immediately, you moved to help him, but when you got on your feet, you fell forward and he ended up helping you, “Hey, miss!  Be careful!”

At that moment, you saw the old lady slowly make her way into the cave again, her eyes completely wide and that look – you couldn’t forget – was full of love, relief, and joy. She ran over and the two of them came together in a big, warm hug.

Luhan’s eyes widened in shock since the man he found to have no pulse had been dead a moment ago. Now, he was alive and well – better than before. He couldn’t wrap his mind around it.

You must’ve done something. You were definitely hiding a secret.

“Oh thank God,” the woman repeated multiple times, her embrace only getting tighter, “Thank you, thank you, thank you for not taking away my yeobo. I wouldn’t know what to do if you did.”

Smiling to yourself, you and Luhan slowly made your way out of the cave just to give the old couple time alone. You were glad that number five was used in a way that brought her so much happiness.

Subtly, you looked at your wrist which now read four.

“…What was that?” Luhan stopped in his tracks, his gaze not leaving yours.

You turned around and looked at him, “What was what?”

“That man was dead when we found him,” he countered, “and you know it. What the hell happened in there?”

“I told you. He fainted,” you replied, turning around nonchalantly.

However, Luhan didn’t buy it. He couldn’t bear to keep quiet about the secret that was yours. He wanted to know what had happened, so he did the only thing he could think of.

He was going to scare it out of you.

Behind you, you heard a loud growl which caused you to freeze in your tracks, paralyzed. Slowly, you turned around only to be faced with a yellow-eyed white wolf.

Luhan.