56 Assignment

Sacrifice

You made sure to arrive in class early the next day. You weren’t going to become the one bad student in your class.

To be completely honest, you’ve never actually attended school like this. You used to be homeschooled by your parents since you refused to get close with anyone.

As a result, you became a bit awkward with people. Now that you didn’t have a reason to dislike being near people, you didn’t mind having all of these people around you.

You no longer had to worry about the curse and the stuff related to it.

All you had to worry about was to get Luhan to recognize you without saying you were you – if that made any sense at all.

You tried to continuously get close to him, but it didn’t exactly work that well.

When you passed him in the hall, you’d greet him – only to be met with a cold shoulder. When you tried to start a conversation in class with him, he’d tell you to shut up. Every move and every word that escaped your mouth didn’t seem to reach him.

Fortunately, an opportunity arose for you to express your thoughts to him. Luck seemed to be on your side at that particular moment. The teacher had introduced her ideas for the semester and she wanted to try something different.

Since she could sense the awkward atmosphere in the classroom, she wanted everyone to get close with each other.

She went for a creative assignment that would allow her class to bond with each other while expressing individual thoughts at the same time.

“Everyone will have twenty minutes,” she explained, “Within those twenty minutes, everyone will write song lyrics that tell your seatmate something about you or something that you feel. I want everyone to feel comfortable staying in the class and not a single person to feel left out – excluded.”

All the students in the class nodded while Luhan just sighed. You slightly smiled to yourself. If this was meant to be a way to express yourself, you had to do this assignment well. It may be another key to unlocking Luhan’s shut away feelings.

Immediately, you grabbed a pen and began jotting down little things that you felt like that defined you as Jung Hayeon.

Everything was important and nothing could be let out. You were going to try to reach out to Luhan once more.

Luhan just stared at his paper for the first ten minutes. He didn’t exactly know what to write nor what to say. Everything he felt was pretty much defined with one word – reality.

Reality was that you were no longer in the world of the living. Reality was that you were no longer by his side. Reality was that he had lost his chance at love.

…Or so he thought.

“And that’s time!” the teacher declared as her timer on her desk went off, “Alright. Turn and face your seatmate and recite your lyrics. If you want to sing it, by all means – go ahead.”

She sat back down in her chair and leaned backwards, awaiting everyone to follow her directions. Sure enough, people began to recite what they had written.

Luhan glanced at his paper, “Let’s just get this over with.”

His voice showed no sign of enthusiasm or – actually – any emotion at all. He just gripped on his paper and recited those lyrics monotonously. However, it didn’t exactly matter how he said it. From the first word to the last, you knew that those lyrics referred to you.

[Cr: Black Pearl – EXO-M]

Is this a reality or an illusion? It feels unimaginable to me.
Whether or not it’s all been revolving around a dream,

You exist as if from a legend, straight from a myth.
I chase after your shadow through time
I never used to believe that such a thing as eternity existed in this world
For you, ever since the moment I touched you, I think of you day and night.

What made your heart ache as you heard those words come from his mouth was that the words didn’t sound like the Luhan you knew. He sounded so lost and broken already.

You wanted to heal him with all the strength within you, but you knew it couldn’t be done. As Yu Najung, you couldn’t do anything. You had to be Jung Hayeon. You had to be you. You had to look like you – but you couldn’t appear like yourself now. Not yet.

Slowly, you reached for you paper and you gazed into Luhan’s eyes, “My turn.”

Then, you began to speak.

[Cr: Wolf – EXO-K (Modified)]

The yellow moon teases you, that you can’t have me.
‘But you’re only a rough beast.’
If you’re going to think that kind of thing, get lost.
If you need me, change me.
I can never let you go.
I’ve fallen for this irresistible, powerful feeling and I’ve let go of myself.

I like simplicity – the hidden thing within me has opened its eyes now.
That’s right wolf. You’re a wolf.
I love you.

At first, Luhan didn’t pay attention to what you were saying. However, when you mentioned the word – wolf – it caught his attention.

Looking at you seriously, he raised an eyebrow, "...What did you call me just now?"