04 Taking Him In

Sacrifice

At first, you were unsure if you should keep the newly taken in wolf inside or outside your house. You were afraid that it would break everything you owned or at least damage your belongings.

However, at the same time, you felt like the weather outside was too harsh and cold.

Even if you were afraid of the animal, it didn’t make you that heartless. After a long debate, you finally decided that you were going to take him inside, but if he ruins anything, he was going to get kicked out.

That was the best solution you could come up with.

Slowly, you led the wolf into one of the bedrooms downstairs while you slept upstairs. Just to be safe, you wanted the wolf to be at least a bit far from you in case it decided that it wanted to attack you during your sleep.

It looked up at you with its new aquatic colored eyes with what seemed to be a curious expression. You bent down to its eye level as you gave it a small smile.

“Such a beautiful wolf,” you began to pet it, “Are you a girl?”

The wolf glanced at you for a moment and then it let out a small growl. Immediately, you retracted your hand, but it didn’t seem like it wanted to hurt you… yet?

“A boy?” you corrected yourself.

The wolf remained silent but lowered his head, so you could resume petting him. Cautiously, you reached out to him again.

You curled a piece of your hair behind your ear, “You’re a smart boy. If I didn’t know any better, I would’ve thought that you can understand what I’m saying.”

That made you pause and think about what you were saying. Realizing what you had been doing – talking to a wolf – you began to think you were going insane.

Was this what happened when people separate themselves from society? – They turn to animals as replacement? You couldn’t help you had gone crazy – but then again, it’s not as if you were a normal girl in the first place.

You did have the power to bring back to life those who are close to death or recently died.

“What am I thinking?” you lightly scolded yourself, “He can’t understand me. He’s a wolf!”

Once again, your eyes met the wolf’s and you realized that there was a possibility that he was special since it seemed like his gaze was a little annoyed at what you had said.

Before you could question what was happening, your eyelids began to grow heavy and you slowly pushed the wolf into the room that you had assigned it and told it to stay. You were slowly losing strength once more.

Since you were growing tired and you didn’t want the wolf to mess up your home when you had fallen asleep, you had decided that keeping him locked in the room would be the best choice for now.

Once you trained him, then you would allow him to roam free.

“Go,” you instructed while the wolf looked at you with a puzzled expression.

Then, once the wolf had gone in, you closed the door. Using the handle you supported yourself and kept you from falling.

Light pawing could be heard as the wolf struggled to get out. He didn’t seem like he liked being kept in a room like that, but you couldn’t care about that at the moment.

At a really slow pace, you tried to make your way up the stairs and to the bedroom, but by the time you had reached the third stair, you felt your body give out.

“Number seven really did weaken me,” you mumbled to yourself.

Then, you passed out due to fatigue. You didn’t really mind since that seemed to be happening a lot now. Your body was deteriorating more than you would like it to. Even if you looked young on the outside, you were probably really old inside.

As you fell asleep, you slowly slid down and hit the floor.

A soft thud echoed throughout the house.

Within seconds, you thought you felt something or someone touch you, picking you up. However, you knew that was impossible. There was not another human in your house that was capable of that.

It was just you and the wolf.

What a dream. Whoever was helping you must’ve been a strong person since you had gotten an odd sense of protection in their arms.

A soft smile crept upon your lips and you couldn’t help but snuggle into what you thought was your stairs.

You liked feeling this sort of comfort.

You liked it a lot.