33 Zero

Sacrifice

A/N: I don't know if you guys have noticed I updated this story a lot more slowly compared to before~ But it's because I'm still unsure how long I want this story to be :3 I have two kinds of endings I have in mind and I'm still kind of deciding X) ...So sorry if you wished I updated faster!


Slowly and quietly, you snuck down the stairs and grabbed your jacket. After slipping it on, you had made your way out the front door – outside. There stood Baekhyun and Chanyeol already waiting for your appearance.

Recalling what Chanyeol had pulled you aside earlier for – help – you had agreed to meet up with them secretly. He didn’t explain much at the time. All he told you was that he needed you to fulfill something for Baekhyun – a wish of sorts.

“It’s really cold out here,” you rubbed your hands together to try and keep warm as you saw the smoke coming from your mouth as you breathed and talked, “What did you need from me?”

Baekhyun pulled on Chanyeol’s hand, “You know that we shouldn’t even be asking her to do this. You saw how she was earlier when she helped you and Xiumin!”

“We’ve got no choice,” Chanyeol’s voice was low as he held the other boy close, “We’ve to at least try.”

Confused you stepped towards them, “What are you talking about? Is something wrong? You know… If I can help, I would, so just tell me.”

The two boys exchanged glances. Baekhyun continued to mumble things to Chanyeol that you couldn’t quite understand. He spoke quietly and all you could manage to make out had to do with something about lifespan.

Chanyeol responded the hushed whispers by placing his hands upon the boy’s shoulders and bending down to meet his eyes. He whispered something back to the boy that caused his expression to soften noticeably.

Judging by their interaction, you could already kind of understand what this would be about. They must’ve needed to use your ability – the last of your abilities. They were smart to keep this a secret since you knew that if Luhan ever gotten wind of this, he would’ve locked you in your room this very night.

“…We need to ask you if you can heal terminal illnesses,” Chanyeol’s voice shook as he spoke, “Baekhyun… doesn’t have long to live.”

Your eyes widened at the shocking statement, “W-What?”

When you set your gaze upon Baekhyun, you couldn’t tell there was anything wrong with him. He looked healthy and seemed to be fine, but Chanyeol was telling you the opposite of what seemed to be true.

“It’s true,” Baekhyun mumbled as he stepped forward, finally bring his eyes up to meet yours, “I just recently found out. When I was captured by those things that call themselves scientists, they had realized it before we escaped. I overheard their conversation one day – metastatic cancer was what they called it – they had planned to dispose of me since I was going to die anyways.”

You repeated those words ever-so-slowly, “Metastatic… cancer?”

“It means that it’s cancer that spreads throughout the body,” Chanyeol explained, “For Baekhyun, he’s at an initial stage. It’s in his lungs for right now and sometimes he has trouble breathing.”

“That’s what caused Chanyeol to get hurt before,” Baekhyun’s expression turned to one of extreme guilt, “I had a hard time breathing when the scientists were chasing after us. To try and save me, Chanyeol stopped and tried to keep the scientists away with his fire abilities. He created a wall of flames to divide us from those scientists, but they had attacked him by throwing things through the flames. It’s all my fault for putting his life in danger… It’s all my fault.”

Baekhyun’s eyes watered – unable to hold back the tears that wanted to overflow onto his cheeks. He covered his face with his hands, sniffling gently. The scene broke your heart.

While Chanyeol wrapped his arms around the boy, assuring him that it wasn’t his fault at all, he managed to glance over at you tell you, “We can’t go to the hospital or the medics will find out that we aren’t human. We can’t ask Lay because he’s only able to heal wounds – not something like this. That’s why there was no reason for us to tell the rest of EXO. They have enough to worry about. Hayeon… you’re our last hope.”

You didn’t know what to say at all. You watched as Chanyeol continued to comfort Baekhyun in front of you and how Baekhyun had cried for Chanyeol when they had first arrived.

Honestly, you didn’t have the heart to break the two of them apart. Even if they didn’t say it, you knew their relationship was definitely something complicated – it reminded of you of the status between you and Luhan somehow.

Your heart ached for the two boys who had desperately come to you to help them.

Could you really let them down? Did you have the guts to do that?

If there was one thing you were horrible at doing, it was saying no. It was a part of your personality – the inability to deny someone of help that they needed.

Slowly but hesitantly, you nodded, “…I’ll help you, but if something happens to me, you’re going to have to cover up for me. No matter what you have to do, you must never let Luhan find out about this. Never, alright?”

If you did this, you couldn’t afford to let Luhan know you were down to zero – his worst nightmare.