52 A Proposition

Sacrifice

At first, you were extremely elated by his words.

However, you slowly realized what he had in mind when he told you he was going to give you another chance to live. It didn’t come without consequences – he was cunning boy that was ready to play a little game.

“How much do you trust that boy?” he asked curiously.

You glanced at him weirdly, “I’d trust him with my life – A lot I guess. Why do you ask?”

The expression changed upon Hamin’s face from one of curiosity to one that was a bit more playful. Compared to before – an expression of careful planning – now it was more like he had already decided how he was going to play his little game.

“How about we make things a bit more interesting?” he grinned, “Since you trust him so much.”

Your eyes narrowed at him, “What are you talking about? Just what do you actually plan to do to him or to me?”

Chuckling, Hamin flipped his hair to the side, revealing the eye that was concealed, “I’ll give you another chance to live, but only if you win against me.”

“What do you mean?” you replied, confused as to what he meant by ‘winning against him’.

Was this all a game to him? Life and death were things to be taken extremely serious – not messed around with and especially not used to play games.

However, he didn’t care, “What I mean is that I’ll give you seven days to make him fall in love with you all over again without saying anything about being the one he knows as ‘Jung Hayeon’. If he really loved you, he’d fall in love with you once again – no matter what you look like, right? – Since he should’ve fell for your heart, not your looks.”

“…What are you talking about?” you raised an eyebrow.

Hamin chuckled, “It’s simple, really. Make Luhan fall for you again and you win. If Luhan doesn’t fall for you again, I win. So, tell me Hayeon, do you trust Luhan to fall for the same heart he did before? Or do you think he will be fooled by a different appearance?”

That made you hesitate. Sure, you did trust Luhan a lot and you knew that he wouldn’t fall in love with any other random girl right after your death. However, you weren’t sure if this bet could be won.

It was almost like a trap.

“I won’t look like myself?” you asked, a bit uncertainly, “I’ll have another appearance? Is that what you said?”

Hamin nodded, “Of course. It can’t be easy to win, can it?”

You looked down and you pursed your lips together. Now this was a hard choice to make. The fact that your appearance would be changed meant that in front of Luhan, you’d be an entirely different person. It was because that you would seem like a different person that made this choice extremely hard to make.

If Luhan believed you were another person, it almost gave you no chance for you to win against Hamin. Since this was occurring right after your passing, if another girl showed up in front of Luhan who acted like you, he’d think it’s just him missing you too much – people don’t usually come back to life.

This bet wouldn’t work to your advantage at all.

“So?” Hamin asked, “Do you accept this gamble?”

You hesitated to answer, “What happens if I lose?”

“I’ll send you to hell,” he replied promptly, “If you lose to me, your spirit would be tired out enough for me to send you to your rightful place. Cursed beings are always sent there no matter what they do in their lifetimes. That’s where I sent everyone else who was cursed in your family to at least – even your grandmother.”

Your blood ran cold as you heard that.

You grandmother was one of the nicest people you knew and she was always gentle towards others.

Sure, she may have messed up once or twice, but overall, she was kind and forgiving. Almost everything she did was for other people – a person completely unsuitable for a place like hell.

“What happens if I win?” you asked, serious, “What happens if I get Luhan to fall for me within the time limit?”

He grinned at your response. It was obvious that he didn’t believe you would actually win a bet against him. He had seen too many people fail because of love and become suicidal.

He had seen too many of the dark side of love that he didn’t believe you would ever win.

He was the God of Death.

“I’ll give you back the life you should’ve had – without the curse,” he stated.

You crossed your arms, “And you will take my ancestors out of hell, right?”

A small laugh escaped the God of Death’s lips, “Are you negotiating with me right now? No one negotiates with me. You realize your life is still in the palms of my hands right?”

The atmosphere tensed as you stood your ground.

You weren’t about to fall for his words so easily. He had told you that you couldn’t go to Heaven or Hell at the moment because your spirit still lingered around. That meant that your life wasn’t exactly in his hands – it was in yours.

“So what if it is?” you replied, holding out a hand for him to shake, “Deal or no deal? Will you do it?”

Smirking, the boy shook hands with you, “Game on.”