11 The Fireplace

Sacrifice

During the middle of the night, you had woken up, because the weather had gotten too cold for your liking.

You didn’t like the winter season – it was just too chilly. You didn’t like the summer season either since that was too hot.

You liked the autumn when the weather cooled down better than the spring when the weather warmed up.

Hopping off the bed, you decided to get another blanket from the closet downstairs. Carefully, you tip-toed down the stairs – cautious not to wake up Luhan.

You weren’t sure where he was sleeping in the house since he almost always chose where he wanted to nap.

As you went down the stairs, you saw a small flicker of light. Furrowing your eyebrows, you were unsure what it was. As you reached the last step of the stairs, you realized it came from the living room – it was the fireplace.

Luhan had sprawled out on the sofa in front of the toasty warm fire. You blinked a couple of times – you didn’t have the wood to start that fire, so when did he go out to get wood?

He must’ve really been stealthy as a wolf.

You walked past the room and found your way to the closet where you kept extra blankets and pillows. Grabbing a blanket and pillow for yourself, you paused. You wonder if Luhan needed one too since he lit up the fireplace.

It must’ve meant he was cold, right?

Even though that boy was annoying as hell, you weren’t heartless. You couldn’t allow him to freeze while you slept so comfortably. Sighing, you grabbed another blanket and a pillow for him.

Then, you carefully closed the door, quietly so you wouldn’t wake him.

You made your way over to where Luhan was lying down and you set the blankets and pillows down. Your eyes scanned over his perfect facial features, his wonderfully sculpted body – wait, what were you thinking?

Turning away, you felt your cheeks turn a faint pink.

Mumbling ever so quietly, you whispered to yourself in disbelief, "I'm seriously going insane."

Gently, you patted your cheeks to snap back to reality. Then, you fluffed the pillow a bit and lifted his head, sliding the pillow under it.

You smiled slightly to yourself as your fingers brushed his bangs off of his eyes as he stirred a bit in his sleep.

You froze and when you realized he wasn’t going to wake up soon, you continued to help make him more comfortable. You pulled the blanket over him, making sure you covered his entire body from his feet to his neck.

Then, you tucked him in.

"There, that's better," you smiled, "Nice and tucked in. Comfy, right?"

You had spoken to him as if he could hear you when he was deep asleep, but you didn't really care.

Patting him gently, you hoped he was actually sleeping well. From experience, sleeping on the sofa wasn’t the most pleasant sleeping setting.

However, maybe since he was a wolf, it was a bit different.

You saw a pile of wood next to the fireplace and the fire slowly getting weaker.

You glanced at the nice and snuggled Luhan and then made your mind up to help keep the fire going. Grabbing a couple of sticks of wood, you tossed them into the fireplace.

A soft crinkling sound was heard as the fire burned.

You had forgotten how nice the fireplace felt since you always slept in your room. The bed seemed more comfortable than the sofa, so you stopped spending time in front of the fireplace.

Gradually, you set your pillow down on the ground and then laid your head on it, curling up under the blanket you had gotten for it.

Maybe you should just stay here for awhile. The fire seemed extremely relaxing for you and after spending a day or two with Luhan, you were stressed.

That boy was awfully confident about himself and he always liked messing with you.

Though you found it annoying, you couldn't understand why you didn't actually hate it. Was it because you had grown a bit lonely after all the years you had stayed in this house alone?

It was a possibility.

Maybe you just liked the company that Luhan and provided.

As your eyes fluttered closed, you decided you didn't actually care that much. Right now, you just wanted to enjoy this warm fire.

Smiling to yourself, you began to drift off to sleep.