31 Disagreements

Sacrifice

“I’m sorry Luhan,” you leaned over and hugged him, “I’m so sorry. Please, forgive me?”

After you had regained consciousness, Luhan gave you the longest lecture ever. While the rest of the EXO members were downstairs, rejoicing about their members’ recovery and yours, Luhan was taking care of you upstairs.

“Sorry isn’t going to cut it,” Luhan muttered, upset, “You know that you could’ve died, right? How could you be so careless? I swear that you’re going to end up being the death of me Jung Hayeon.”

Just in once glance, you could see that his eyes were red and puffy as if he had shed numerous tears while you were passed out.

However, you knew if you pointed it out, he wasn’t going to admit it judging by his personality.

A smile appeared on your lips as you turned to face him, “I said that you don’t have to worry about me, didn’t I? My heart can take it. Besides, I can still help one more person without passing away, so there’s absolutely nothing to worry about, alright?”

“Are you kidding with me right now?” Luhan’s voice became slow, “You were literally coughing up blood earlier and appeared dead. You know that your pulse was extremely faint right? You were this close to dying and you tell me there’s nothing to worry about? Jung Hayeon you’re – “

“Luhan,” you interrupted, “You know that it was the right thing for me to do, don’t you?”

He became all silent and you knew that his silence was a form of confirmation. The act was the right thing to do, but it was also so wrong at the same time.

It was literally a life for a life – a choice between a friend and another friend.

How did you expect him to make a choice like that?

Luhan’s eyes met yours, “Hayeon, promise me something.”

“Promise you what?” you asked, tilting your head a bit to the side.

“Promise me that you won’t help the tenth person no matter what. I can’t risk seeing you becoming so sick. I just… I can’t,” Luhan’s hands took yours into his, “Please. Promise me, Hayeon.”

The way his eyes were pleading made your heart soften. Although you wanted to promise him something like that just to put him at ease, you really couldn’t lie to him.

Your silence only caused him even more uneasiness. He realized that you were definitely going to go help that tenth person and his eyes narrowed at you.

It wasn’t that he was against you helping that tenth person since it wouldn’t exactly kill you, it was that he didn’t want to put you through any more pain.

“I can’t just leave people who need me alone,” you replied, serious, “What if that last person was you? I can’t leave you alone to die! Luhan, please don’t ask me to do the impossible – “

If that last person was me,” he repeated, “If it was, then I’m asking you right now not to save me. Unlike you, I’m not afraid of death. If I have to die for you to live, then so be it. I will die for you.”

Your eyes widened at his statement. Did he really say he would die for you? What did that even mean? Just how much did he care for you?

You honestly couldn’t wrap your mind around it. Sacrificing one life for another, that took guts that you didn’t think you had.

However, you did know that if there was a dying Luhan in front of you, you would save him instantaneously. There would be no hesitation – you wouldn’t even think. You’d just do.

He’d be your last and you wouldn’t regret it.

“You know I could never do that,” you replied, looking at him with an expression of disbelief, “You know that.”

“Well then think of it as my last wish,” he replied, “Please promise me at least you’ll grant my wish.”

At that moment, you couldn’t even meet his eyes. Did he even realize what he was asking of you? You didn’t think anyone in the world could just leave a person to die like that – especially not yourself. However, Luhan was pleading you.

Without a tone that was full of uncertainty, you replied, “…I promise I won’t save you with the last of my ability. You won’t be the cause of this one becoming zero.”

A smile began to appear on Luhan’s face, “Thank y – “

“But,” you interrupted him immediately, “Just know that I won’t be happy. Granting this wish, just know that it’ll crush me. Obliterate me. Efface me.”

The two of you gazed into each other’s eyes, silent, unsure what to say. Luhan's expression fell as he heard you say that. That wasn't what he wanted at all.

He wanted you to be happy to live on as he sacrificed his life for yours, enjoy life with a more healthy body, so you could do whatever you wanted.

You wanted him to be happy – to save him with the last of your abilities, even if it had to cause you pain and a weak health for the rest of your life.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a choice that would grant happiness for the both of you at the same time.

Life was just unfair that way.