24 Fever

Sacrifice

Luhan awoke to you tending by his side in your room. You had set him down on your bed after carefully carrying him on your back to your room.

It took a lot of effort since you had just used your abilities twice in a row.

Actually, you were running a fever, but since your body began to pump out adrenaline, you didn’t even notice it. However, your fever was nothing compared to Luhan’s situation.

You had just healed him with your gift and you watched his leg patch itself up.

He was perfectly healed once again, leaving you more than relieved.

“…W-What?” he looked around, focusing on his surroundings, “How did I get here? I thought I – “

His eyes widened as he pulled the blankets off of his leg. He was left dumbfounded as he realized that the pain had miraculously disappeared and his skin was healed.

Slowly, he moved his foot.

“Hey,” you held out your hands, “Be careful.”

He looked at you with a stunned expression, “…Be careful? From the looks of it, it doesn’t seem like there’s anything wrong with my foot at all. I thought I –“

“Got caught in a trap? Crushed the bones in your foot? Lost a lot of blood?” you asked, stating multiple possibilities that were, in reality, all true, “Almost died?”

His eyes widened, “It was that serious? How did you…”

His voice trailed off as you sighed. It seemed like the impact of the situation at the time had caused him to forget what had happened.

You didn’t blame him – the scenario at that time would’ve been something you wanted to forget.

It wasn’t every day that you wanted to remember a wound so deep that penetrated the leg, allowing you to see bone.

“You said you wanted to know what I was hiding?” you mumbled, taking a seat next to him.

Your head was pounding a bit, but you didn’t think anything of it. You just believed that it was temporary, so you didn’t have to tend to it. You got headaches often anyways.

Luhan nodded, “That’s right.”

“It’s all really simple actually. A long time ago, my ancestor’s lover was killed during the time or war. They had planned on eloping prior to his death and when he had died, she didn’t know what to do, so she turned to someone – or rather, something....

He was a God of Death and she signed a contract with him. If she is given the ability to save her lover, she would give up the length of her life. However, the God of Death was cunning...

What he actually gave her was the ability to save up to ten people – alive or dead – and a slight change to her personality: the inability to keep her from leaving people in need of saving alone...

However, that wasn’t all he did. He cursed her so that with each person she saved, her health deteriorated – that meant she would either die because her heart couldn’t handle the weak health or when she saved the eleventh person,” you explained, “It’s a curse really. It affects every other generation of my family. The last person it affected before me was my Grandmother.”

Luhan furrowed his eyebrows, a bit confused, “So then that number on your wrist…?”

“Yeah,” you smiled sheepishly while holding up your wrist for him to see, “I’m down to three.”

He paused and then asked, “So… that’s what you were doing to the deer, the bird, and the old man we saw earlier?”

You nodded, confirming his statement. However, nodding seemed to intensify the pounding sensation within your mind.

You couldn’t tell if this was a migraine or just a headache. Your hand came up to keep your head from spinning, but it didn’t seem to work.

Was this your body’s way of warning you that you were really cutting it close with the amount of people you were saving?

“Is… Is the room spinning or is it just…” you couldn’t even finish that sentence due to the aches you had begun feeling.

Fortunately for you, you had passed out right onto the bed – not hitting the floor. Luhan reached over to shake you to see if you were still conscious, but the moment he touched you, he realized you were burning up.

"Hey, Hayeon!" he shook you, "Are you alright?"

However, he knew that you wouldn't be able to answer. There was no way you could be conscious in this state since, after all, your fever wasn’t a small one.

It was serious.

Maybe even life-threatening.