50 A Form of Goodbye

Sacrifice

The next morning was one that was full of screaming and shouting.

Luhan had found you gone from bed and he had gotten the crazy idea that maybe there was another experimenter that had captured you or something of the sort. There was no way you would ever just disappear on him, right?

He couldn’t bring himself to believe it.

“Calm down, Luhan!” Kris’s voice thundered throughout the house that no longer contained you, “Nothing ever gets solved if you don’t keep yourself calm.”

Luhan’s fist tightened, “How do you expect me to be calm? I just realized that the girl I loved is gone! She could be in major danger!”

“I don’t think she is,” Sehun mumbled as he leaned against the wall, “I saw her leave last night. Her expression wasn’t one that was afraid or anything…”

Those words made Luhan’s heartbeat quicken as he angrily stood up, his eyes narrowing at the boy who was once his best friend, “You saw her leave? What the hell, Sehun? Why didn’t you stop her?  You know how weak she is especially now that she’s saved me!”

Chanyeol sighed as stood between Luhan and Sehun, “Her health got better because of that injection, remember?”

“You guys don’t understand,” Luhan’s voice grew low and dangerous, “You don’t understand at all.”

Suho crossed his arms, “If you don’t explain, how will we be able to understand? Talk to us. If we can help, we will.”

A moment of hesitation filled the next few seconds as Luhan considered if he should say. It took him so long to get you to tell him the truth about your abilities and yourself. He wondered if you wanted to keep it a secret or not.

However, he realized that this wasn’t the time to keeping secrets, “Hayeon’s abilities are limited. She can only save ten people in her life – her health getting weaker with each saving. When we saved those wounds on Chanyeol and Xiumin, those were her eighth and ninth save. That leaves me being her tenth. Once she saved me, there is no doubt that her health would be at the lowest point. The injection may not have been permanent!”

Baekhyun and Chanyeol glanced at each other in horror. Luhan had made a mistake. He wasn’t the tenth person you saved. You had saved Baekhyun as your tenth which leaves Luhan being the eleventh. That must mean back then, you had already chosen to sacrifice your life for him.

Eleven, that goes over your limit and you knew it.

“Luhan,” Baekhyun asked softly, “What happens if she goes over ten people? Saving them I mean.”

Luhan glanced at the boy a bit suspiciously as to why he would even ask such a thing, “She’d face death.”

The boys stiffened as Luhan answered their question in all seriousness.

“…. What have we done?” Chanyeol’s mind and heart began to be filled with guilt.

As Luhan moved towards Chanyeol rapidly with intention to hurt him since his heart had stopped with those few words, he had used his telekinesis ability to pick Chanyeol up by the neck.

Chanyeol’s words had basically meant to be a confirmation that you were dead. Scared out of his mind, he refused to believe such a truth. Baekhyun managed to choke back a sob as he tried to help Chanyeol get down and stop Luhan from hurting him.

Chanyeol didn’t struggle. That guilt within him didn’t allow him to fight back with this punishment – something he felt like he completely deserved – after all, it was only him who managed to get you to help Baekhyun.

“Chanyeol,” Luhan began once more, his voice slow, “What did you mean by ‘what have you done’?”

Judging by the actions between the boy and Baekhyun, Luhan knew that they must’ve known something more than what they have been telling. Luhan recalled what Baekhyun had asked – saving over ten people and the consequence.

Did that mean that they had gotten her to save number eleven?

That thought almost paralyzed him. Immediately, his grip loosened around Chanyeol as the boy fell beside Baekhyun. Luhan looked at them with scared, worried eyes.

“Please tell me that you didn’t cause Hayeon to save one too many people,” Luhan was nearly pleading the boys to tell him that his worst nightmare didn’t come true.

Baekhyun stood up as he faced Luhan, his eyes full of sorrow and remorse, “I’m so sorry. It’s all my fault. I had asked her to help me with… something prior to the fight. I guess I was her tenth and you had become her eleventh.”

Those words felt like a knife wound to the heart.

“You’re lying. You’ve got to be! T-There’s no way that you…“ Luhan began to say, but Chanyeol interrupted him.

The truth had to come out now. This was all a mistake.

“I'm so sorry Luhan. It's all my fault. I knew that... Baekhyun had been diagnosed with cancer, so we had Hayeon help us. She was our only hope. I could't lose him!"

"So you had me lose Hayeon instead?" Luhan almost screamed at the boy.

Luhan collapsed onto the ground as the tears fell down his cheeks freely. His cries didn't end. As the EXO members tried to comfort him, they could almost hear Luhan's heart breaking away every second until there was nothing left.

Even though Lay wanted to heal him of his heartbreak, his healing abilities didn’t go so far. Everyone lowered their heads in a moment of silence.

Luhan’s hands unfolded as he glanced at the last memento that you had given him – a single silver chain, a necklace.

So this was why you had just gotten rid of him when he confessed.

This was why you had told him to forget about you.

"...Your such an idiot Hayeon," he managed to utter between cries, "Do you think I'll really be happy if you're not here, by my side?"

No matter how he regret leaving you alone that night, he knew that he couldn't go back and change the past. Your fate was already predetermined.

This was your way of saying goodbye and he had to learn to accept it.