01 Weak

Sacrifice

“Easy girl,” your voice was quiet, as you tried to get closer to the injured deer in front of your eyes.

The winter air caused you to shiver involuntarily.

A deer had been limping around with an arrow in its leg. It looked pretty serious since the deer would fall over and collapse after taking less than ten steps.

As you moved closer, you could see that the wound must’ve been there for quite a long time – there was definitely a dark infectious wound on its leg.

Depending on how long that the wound had been present, determined how much longer the animal had to live, but by judging at the way the animal had to move to get around, it was evident that it would have to die soon.

Death, it's a scary thing isn't it?

You slowly reached out to the poor deer, but by the time you did so, it didn’t have the energy to run anymore. It fell to its side, its eyes just watching you tiredly. The scene saddened you glanced at the inside of your wrist – Seven.

Without thinking, you placed your hand over the deer’s wound after pulling the arrow out of its leg. It made the poor animal incredibly scared as it felt pain all over again.

“Don’t worry,” you tried to soothe the animal with your voice, “It’s all going to be alright. I’m going to help you.”

A warm glow of light came from the contact of your palm to the deer’s wound.

All of a sudden, the deer jumped up to his feet and scurried away. You smiled as it ran away – almost as if it had never been hurt. As you tried to get up on your feet, a sharp pain hit your chest.

Wincing, you clutched at your chest and you fell over, hitting the ground. While doing so, you caught the number on your wrist change – Six.

That was the unfortunate gift you were given when you were born. You could bring back a living being that is on the verge of death or has just recently died.

The number of living beings that you could bring back is always on the inside of your wrist. Each time you help another person or animal with your gift, that number always decreases.

As it decreases, it’s almost as if it takes your health with it.

You were one of the healthiest girls in the world, full of energy and life, but now, you couldn’t get by a single day without feeling tired, getting a cold or a fever, or fainting.

It was the consequence of your gift.

What made the whole situation worse was that you were incredibly weak-hearted. Every time you saw even the smallest animal hurt, you would want to help until the end. It didn’t matter how bad the injury was or what animal it was – or even a human – you’d want to use her gift.

But, your gift wasn't unlimited.

It had the numeral limit and it had the physical limit. Your body could only suffer so much and you could only endure a certain amount. Even if you could play God, you weren’t invincible yourself. In reality, if you took away your gift, you were just another normal girl.

That was how you developed an extreme hate for other people. You didn’t like how weak they were and how much illnesses they were always going through. If you had chosen to go into the city, you were so sure it would be like a suicidal act.

You’d go in and want to help every single person you would came across – which would be way more than the limit six as indicated on your wrist. Once you helped your seventh, by the time the clock struck midnight, it would be your time to go.

It'd be your time to die.

That is, if your body doesn’t give out first.

Weakly, you tried to pick yourself back up. This always happened every time you tried to help another living being, but you knew the moment would pass.

Gathering all the strength you could muster, you were finally able to bring yourself up from the ground.

Your legs felt heavy and your head was light.

When you took your first step, everything seemed to spin – a headache?

You blinked a couple of times.

No, this was worse.

This was more like a bad migraine and as much as you willed herself to stay strong and keep your balance, your legs began to give out.

The next thing you knew, you had fallen onto the soft snow on the ground.

Your eyelids began to flutter closed, but not before you noticed a pair of yellow eyes staring back at you – was that… a wolf?