02 The Wolf

Sacrifice

When you first came to your senses, all you saw was white. That was why your first thought was whether or not if you were in Heaven.

Through watching many movies, they had all portrayed Heaven like a blanket of snow.

Slowly, you sat up and you felt something fall off of you. You glanced down and you saw a snow covered jacket. It wasn’t as if there was nothing around you, it was just blanketed with some snow, so it seemed like nothing.

It was then that the chilly winter air finally hit you, but you weren’t sure where the jacket came from. You didn’t see anyone by you.

Cautiously, you picked the jacket up and slipped it on. The size was a big too big for you, so you deduced that it must’ve belonged to a boy.

You touched your forehead and realized that the pain in your head was all gone.

“This must be a dream,” you mumbled to yourself as you slowly stood up.

As you did so, you slightly stumbled forward and that was when you heard it – a footstep in the snow – and it wasn’t yours. You froze and slowly you turned around.

At first, you didn’t see anything or anyone, but then, you noticed it. The same pair of yellow eyes you thought you saw when you passed out.

You were right – it was a wolf.

Afraid, you scrambled backwards – only to accidentally trip over your own feet and falling down again. The wolf took a step forward, but then he stopped. It almost looked like he was thinking and assessing the situation.

It was almost as if it knew you were afraid.

Curious, your eyes glanced over the animal. Though its eyes were yellow, the rest of its body was a beautiful pure white. It looked like a fresh blanket of snow that had been completely untouched – the sight was majestic.

They say that purple is the color of royalty, but you would say otherwise.

That fur coat on the wolf, in the moment, looked like the true color of royals. You didn’t dare take your eyes off of the animal, thinking he would attack you at any moment. Very carefully, you stood up.

It watched you as carefully as you watched it.

“Go, go,” your voice was firm, but it was still awfully quiet, “Go back to where you came from!”

The wolf tilted his head and came towards you again. Your eyes widened and you jumped back, a soft yelp came from you as you fell.

That was when you heard the wolf do the most amazing thing you’ve ever seen in your life. It uttered a sound that almost sounded like a laugh. Surprised, you just gazed at it.

Were his eyes this aquatic blue before? You could’ve sworn they were yellow, but maybe it was just your mind that was playing tricks on you.

Intrigued by the wolf that was standing right in front of you, you approached it. At first the wolf seemed a bit alarmed and moved backwards, but you didn’t give up then. Reaching out, your hand touched its head and gently behind his ears.

You were extremely cautious – if the wolf growled at you, you were going to be gone in an instant.

Unlike those protagonist girls from other stories you read who seemed to be unafraid of everything and anything, you were deathly afraid of animals that had the capability to mull you and kill you.

It was odd.

A girl with abilities like yours was actually extremely afraid of death – especially if it was your death. That was why you didn’t want to come in contact with people.

It was actually a lot rarer for you to come across a hurt animal, but of course, there were always exceptions – like that deer you saw earlier.

The wolf didn’t growl at you and your heart slowly felt less nervous.

This animal seemed friendly and with fur as white as its, it was actually extremely beautiful – the most beautiful creature you’ve ever set your eyes on.

Smiling, you whispered, “Want to come home with me?”

You didn’t know why you asked the animal that since animals didn’t talk, but you felt like this wolf was different. You’ve never seen a pure white wolf before in your life and especially not one that seemed to be able to laugh.

Standing up, you glanced in the way of home.

You took a step forward and glanced back to see if the wolf was following you. After a moment of hesitation, it seemed to come forward also.

Grinning from ear to ear, you were overjoyed.

...Now, what did you want to name your new pet?