51 A Second Chance

Sacrifice

What was it like to die? Did everything end the moment you lose your life? Did it hurt or was it painless? Does anything special happen afterwards?

A soft breeze seemed to brush against your skin as you stirred in what seemed to be an extremely long sleep. You didn’t feel cold or hot – the temperature was just right. Your fingers made a small movement as you slowly regained consciousness again.

You didn’t understand why you felt like you were waking up again and why you weren’t dead yet. The dead don’t wake up so easily, do they?

You didn’t feel like you had passed on and departed the world of the living. You didn’t feel like all the life had been drained out of you.

You felt fine – perfectly healthy – even better than you did when you were alive actually.

Your eyes slowly fluttered open as you saw something move in front of you. It was a black figure – one that was quite tall actually. Slowly, you moved your hand over to your head as it pressed against it a bit. It wasn’t that your head hurt, it was more like it was a bit dizzy.

“What’s going on?” you mumbled as you tried to sit up.

At that moment, you felt something touch you from behind. Your eyes widened as you jumped and stumbled away from the touch. That jump didn’t help your condition at all – it made your head pound a bit.

“You shouldn’t move so much,” a voice said, calm and cool, “I mean that your existence is still a bit unstable. Moving around like that, it’s going to only worsen your condition.”

The sound of the unfamiliar voice made your heart freeze. Slowly, your vision focused onto the owner of the voice – a beautiful boy with brown hair.

His hair was longer than Luhan’s and it covered his right eye. His eyes were a beautiful blue-turquoise color with a tint of green. He was dressed in all black in the incredibly white room.

However, it wasn’t what he looked like that caught your attention. It was what he said. He mentioned that your existence was unstable. What did that even mean? Who and what was he? Where were you?

A thousand questions seemed to flood your mind while you glanced to the strange boy, “…What’s going on? Aren’t I supposed to be dead? ….Am I dead?”

“You should be dead,” the boy replied, “but somehow, you’re not. It’s all very strange. I’m pretty sure that the life within you should have dwindled away since I’m the one who had the curse placed upon your family – “

“WHAT?” you blurted, surprised and shocked.

You couldn’t believe what you were hearing. As you recalled, the one who placed that curse upon you wasn’t a living person. It was the God of Death! You scrambled backwards as you glanced up at the man, boy, or whatever he was – a spirit?

A grin spread upon his lips, “Are you scared? I didn’t think you’d be scared so easily. You had literally gave up your life so willingly for that wolf boy after taking him in for so long – what’s his name again? Lo… Ru… Hun?”

Luhan,” you corrected, your voice shaking just a little bit, “How do you know about him? Who are you? What’s going on?”

“Calm down. Death God Yu Hamin at your service,” he chuckled, “I’m not going to hurt you, so don’t be scared. I’m just intrigued since you’re the first one who has ended up here after you were supposed to have died. You should either be directed to Heaven or Hell, but somehow, you’re here.”

You raised an eyebrow, “…Here? And where is here exactly?”

“Here is the true definition of nowhere. It’s like you’ve fallen out of the system. However, I think I’ve figured out what had happened. I’ve been watching you for a long time, you see,” he replied with a somewhat amused voice, “Do you know why my curse kills people by the eleventh revival? It’s because it takes a lot more strength than usual which is supposed to drain all the life from a person and give them a peaceful death. However, the curse tried to do its job. It caused your death, but it didn’t exactly take all the life from you.”

You glanced at him with an uncertain look, “Does that mean… I’m not dead?”

“No, you’re physically dead,” he explained, “Kind of at least. However, the life within you is still lingering which means you can’t enter either Heaven or Hell.”

You frowned a bit at what Hamin was saying, “So I’m dead, but not dead at the same time? Am I a lost spirit? What’s going to happen to me now?”

Hamin laughed, “A lost spirit? That’s one way to look at it. You’re definitely something Jung Hayeon. I’ve never seen someone give up their life so willingly. I mean, sure, the others have died, but their death was always influenced by the curse since it caused them to save those in need.”

“Love makes people do crazy things,” you shrugged then glanced at him, “There’s nothing to it.”

“Love?” Hamin gave you a curious look, “The reason that you gave your life up was because of love? How interesting.”

You blinked, “Interesting?”

Hamin paused for a second as if he was planning something big. The look on his face made you believe that whatever he was thinking of, it was going to be entertaining to him. You weren’t sure how to feel about the whole situation.

Should you anticipate it or not?

Finally, he opened his mouth, “I have a proposal for you.”

“…Proposal?” you repeated, “What is it?"

A wide grin claimed his facial expression before he uttered the words that would change your life once more.

“I’m going to give you another chance to live."



A/N:

Just a little picture for you guys.

This is Yu Hamin if you didn't know who he is. He's an ulzzang that's currenly enlisted in the Korean army for his mandatory military services!

For some reason, I just thought he seemed suitable to play as the God of Death for this fanfiction~

...Dressed in black and has that cool/mysterious appeal to him! X)

One of the ulzzangs I like ...I have many. XD