62 Forced

Sacrifice

Time seemed to pass quicker after you had helped Luhan with his wounds.

You were happy that he was now a bit closer to your normal self. He seemed to loosen up more when you were around him and it made you happy.

While the two of you sat together in class, it no longer created that awkward atmosphere in class. You didn’t feel so tense when Luhan talked to you or scared when you tried to talk to him.

The situation was definitely getting better between the two of you.

Even though you weren’t sure what brought the change in Luhan’ behavior, you definitely didn’t hate it. He had finally become like the Luhan you once knew.

A genuine smile finally surfaced on your facial expression.

 “Alright class,” the teacher began to say, “We’re going to try something a little bit different today.”

You watched as she walked up to the chalkboard as she began to scribble something. You wondered what she meant by trying something different.

She placed her hands on both sides of her desk as a sense of excitement was revealed upon her face, “We’re going to start learning about the proper way to write a research paper. For this assignment, you will be finding a topic of your choice and following the guidelines of a good research paper which I will pass out to you in a moment. The project will be done with your seatmate – your partner.”

You glanced over at Luhan and he gave you a small smile. It seemed to you that he was actually okay with this arrangement. You thought back to the first assignment you had received – the lyrics – and how unwilling Luhan was.

This was an improvement.

“This assignment will involve the two of you to work together. If you need to arrange time to meet outside of class then please do so. There will not be any class time offered for the completion of this project,” your teacher finished up explaining, “It will be due by the end of next week – no exceptions.”

Your eyes widened. Did she really just say it was due by the end of next week?

The words made your body freeze. You didn’t know if you’d even exist and be alive by then.

At the rate you were progressing with Luhan, you knew that the end was still a bit shaky and if you did end up disappearing, you didn’t want to burden him with the project alone.

Not only did you not want to burden him with the project, you had begun to shift your goals. Instead of wishing that Luhan would fall for you a second time, you figured that that was near impossible. Rather, you wanted him to have a happy life even if you weren't in it.

Luhan's happiness meant more than anything else to you. If he was happy, then you were satisfied.

Seven days was really not enough time for you to change those feelings of Luhan.

“Can I work by myself?” you suddenly asked, standing up.

You didn’t dare meet eyes with Luhan who you knew would be have a stunned expression once those words escaped your mouth.

You didn’t want him to misunderstand, but you knew that you didn’t exactly put yourself in a position that wouldn’t cause him to misunderstand.

“You don’t want to work with me?” Luhan raised an eyebrow, “I don’t understand.”

You looked down a bit, “It’s not that. There are… reasons for my actions. I just can’t tell them to you yet. I can’t allow you to know right now. Could you trust me on this? Please Luhan.”

The teacher glanced at the both of you, a bit displeased after you called some sort of a ruckus, “Najung, you may work alone if Luhan agrees to work alone. The two of you are partners – work it out together the way partners should.”

Before you could say anything back to the teacher, Luhan stood up as well, “Don’t worry about us. I’ll make sure Yu Najung and I will work well together. Please excuse us for a few minutes.”

Then, Luhan sent you a look, asking you to be quiet. However, you didn’t want to.

You wanted to tell him that there was no way you’d be okay with working with him but before you could say anything, he quickly led you out of the classroom.

Once the two were you were outside, you pulled your hand from his, “What was that? I thought I made myself clear – I want to work alone.”

“I’m not going to allow you to work alone,” Luhan stated, his personality was almost as stubborn as yours, “And I think I should be the one asking you what just happened in there."

"I work better alone," you replied promptly, "It's simple, isn't it?"

Luhan frowned, "What's wrong with you? Over the past couple days, you seemed like you wanted to be with and such. Now you want to push me away? You give me a sweet smile and then a cold shoulder? Yu Najung, what is going on with you?"

You wanted to tell Luhan the truth. You wanted him to know that it was all for his own good. You didn't want to burden him with your half of the work and you didn't know what would happen by Monday, the last day you had to convince Luhan.

Somehow, the whole situation didn't turn out the way you wanted it to.

"I'm sorry," your voice softened, "I can't work with you."

"If you don't work with me, at least tell me the reason," he stated, "If you can't tell me the reason, then I'll make sure you work with me. You said that you didn't want to see me hurt right? Alright. If you don't work with me and if you don't tell me the reason, I'll go and pick fights with other people."

Your eyes widened, "You wouldn't dare!"

"Try me" was his immediate response.

You gave him an expression that was a bit helpless. You knew that you couldn't tell him the reason right now and you couldn't come up with a reason in the spur of the moment. You could tell by Luhan's expression that he knew you had no choice.

Was this his way of getting what he wants?


A/N: If this all goes the way I plan it to, there will be 65 chapters total^^