Helping hand

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Junhyung’s POV

“Where’s your Umma?” I asked when I came home to find only Ji Eun and Tae Hyun lazing around.

“Umma went out.” Ji Eun said.

“Went out? She left the both of you here alone?” I asked, surprised.

“I’m sure they wish it was that case.” Jace said as he walked down from upstairs.

“Oh, Jace. Hi~” I smiled.

“What’s Haneul busy with these days? Is she involved in the construction too?” He asked.

“Nooooo~” I laughed.

“Then why does she seem even more busy than the construction workers?” He asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. Haneul does seem busy these days. She is always out, but when I asked her about it, she would just smile. I gave the kids a kiss on their forehead before heading upstairs.

“Do I not get a kiss too!?” Jace yelled when I walked pass him.

I gave him a disgusted look instead.

I was about to go shower when my phone rang.

“Lionny~” I answered.

“Hey~ You back home? Or still at work?” She asked.

“I’m home. Where are you?” I asked.

“I’m just about to leave the bookstore. I was checking on the construction. Seems like we could get the place done soon.” She said.

“Great. Are you coming home?” I asked.

“Not yet.” She said.

“Where are you going? Why are you so busy?” I asked.

“Are you sad?” She laughed.

“Oh yes, I am.” I said.

“Then do you want to come look for me?” She asked.

“Where!?” I asked.

“So excited?” She teased.

“Very!” I said.

“Come to my old place.” She said.

“Your.. old place?” I asked.

“Uh oh~ Don’t tell me you have forgotten.” She said.

“Of course not! How could I ever forget? But just, why there?” I asked.

“Come and I’ll tell you.” She said.

I took a quick shower, hush the kids a little, and then hurried out to meet Haneul. I entered the pass code and let myself in. Haneul was sitting on the couch with her legs up on the table, flipping a magazine on her lap.

“I didn’t know we live in Busan.” She said, still not looking up from the magazine.

“Eh?” I asked, confused.

“Why did you take so long to come? Not like our place is far from here.” I said.

“The kids wouldn’t let me go.” I said.

“Ahhhh~” She smiled.

She patted the empty space beside her, gesturing me to sit down, in which I did.

“So, why are we here?” I asked.

“How’s the place? Cozy?” She asked.

“Are we shifting?” I asked, looking around. I noticed she cleaned the place up. There are much lesser furniture than before, making the place feel simpler.

“No. Unless you want to.” She said.

“Then why?” I asked.

She grabbed my hand and pulled me up, leading me to the rooms. She had clean out both her room and her parents room. She revamped it with simple furniture. What is she doing?

“You want to rent this place out? Are we that in need of money?” I asked.

“Perhaps not rent it out, but someone would come and stay thou. And nope, we’re not that in need of money, yet. You’ll know when the time comes.” She smiled.

“Who?” I asked.

“Make a guess~” She said.

“Jace?” I asked.

“Jace can just stay in the orphanage!” She laughed.

“Is this our secret place?” I asked.

“Do we need two separate bedrooms? If you really want to sleep separately, you can always sleep in the storeroom while I sleep in our room.” She said.

“Aye~ You’ll not let me sleep in the store.” I poked her cheek..

“That’s right. I need that place. You’ll sleep on the roadside.” She said.

I pouted at her.

“Shin and J. They will be out next week, no?” She asked.

“Shin and J?” I asked, eyes widened.

“I don’t think they’ll have a place to stay. I was thinking… since this place is just empty. Why not let them occupy it?” She said.

I looked at her, not saying anything.

“Why? You don’t like the idea?” She asked.

I shook my head. I pulled her closer to me, hugging her tightly.

“Aigoo~ I really married an angel.” I said.

She chuckled and punched my chest lightly.

“Idiot.” She said, blushing slightly.

***
“HYUNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!” I heard a familiar voice yell the moment I got out of my car.

“So noisy~” I laughed as I hugged J who crashed his entire body weight into my arms.

“I miss you, hyung!!!” He said, almost kissing me on my cheek if not for me who pushed him away just in time.

“Don’t you dare kiss me.” I warned him.

“Ouh~ I’m scared.” He said, letting me go.

“YAHHH!!!” I yelled when he kissed me on my cheek.

He jumped around like a hyperactive kid while I glared at him, trying to wipe his kiss off my cheek.

“Where’s Shin?” I asked when I noticed it was just J around.

“He’s still packing, I think.” He said.

“Is he not excited to go back?” I mumbled to myself.

“Hey, Junhyung~” The in-charged called out to me when he came.

“Hi~” I smiled and bowed slightly.

“How have you been?” He asked.

“Good, I guess.” I said.

“You guess?” He asked.

“I’ve been good.” I smiled.

“They’ve been really well-behaved too.” He said.

J was still jumping around, grinning like a fool.

“Stay still!” I commanded.

He pouted at me.

“Get into the car. I’ll go get Shin.” I said.

“I’ll go too!” J said, jumping behind me.

“NO!” I said.

“Hur~” He pretended to cry as he headed into the car.

“Where’s Shin?” I asked.

“Shin is… a little…” The in-charge muttered.

“What’s wrong with him?” I asked.

“Something happened. He have been very quiet ever since.” He said.

“What happened?” I asked.

“You got to ask him for yourself.” He said.

I nodded and headed to where Shin’s room was.

“Shin. It’s me. Junhyung.” I said as I knocked on the door.

“Shin? May I come in?” I asked again when he did not respond.

“Yea.” I heard him say. It was so soft it was almost inaudible.

“Hey~” I called out as I pushed open the door.

I saw Shin sitting on the bed, hugging his knees. His stuff were all packed up but he looked unwilling to leave.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, sitting beside him.

“Nothing.” He muttered, looking away.

“Shin, you can tell me. It’s alright.” I said, caressing his back.

He turned to me, and then tears flowed down his cheeks, which shocked me a little because I have never faced a crying Shin before. Well, not crying like that, at least.

“Hey, hey~ Shhh~ What’s wrong?” I asked, pulling him into my embrace.

“I’m very horrible, aren’t I?” He asked.

“No. You’re not. Who said you’re horrible?” I asked.

“Then why did they have to do this to me? I have been trying hard to be good. But why are they doing this to me?” He cried.

“Who is doing what to you?” I asked.

“My parents. They disowned me. They disowned me a week before I was scheduled to be release. Why? I know I have screwed up in the past. I did not listen to them. I had a horrible circle of friends and I end up in this state. But ever since I came here, I am really trying hard to be better. Why are they doing this to me? Why can’t they see my efforts? Why?” He cried.

I froze. His parents disowned him? Why? Why at this point of time when what they needed most was a helping hand?

I looked up to find J standing at the door, looking upset. He was not jumpy like before anymore.

“Shin, why didn’t you tell me?” J asked, his voice cold.

“What could you do, J? What could you do!?” Shin yelled.

“I COULD NOT DO ANYTHING TO CHANGE THEIR DECISION BUT I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE FOR YOU, TO HOLD YOU AND COMFORT YOU! I COULD HAVE DONE THAT! HOW DARE YOU RIP OFF MY RIGHTS AS A FRIEND JUST BECAUSE YOU THINK THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD DO!? HOW DARE YOU!” J yelled.

I saw anger flashed across Shin’s eyes. For a split moment, I thought the both of them would get into a physical fight. But instead, Shin struggled free from my arms and went to hug J.

“I’m sorry. I really am. I just didn’t want to spoil your mood. I am sorry.” Shin cried.

“It’s okay, Shin ah~ It’s okay. You are not alone. You have me. You have hyung too. Am I right, hyung?” He asked.

“Yea. Shin, you’re not alone.” I said.

“But what do I do now? I… I…” He kept on crying.

“It’s okay, Shin. We’ll find a place and live together. We’ll share the rent, and then we’ll look for a job. We’ll earn enough money to live for ourselves. By then, you can proudly go back to your parents and say ‘Hey, I’ve not let you down.’ And I could go look for that of a wife of mine and throw the money she love so much in her face.” J said.

Shin chuckled at the last sentence.

“What is most important is, Shin, we are brothers, we’ll always have each other’s back. If you are on the verge of giving up, I’ll not let you. Just like how you wouldn’t let me give up.” J said.

“The only person I will force you to give up is that .” Shin said.

J laughed and hugged him.

“Oh wait! Let’s not leave hyung out! Or else he might purposely drive us to some empty highway and abandon us there out of anger.” J said, pulling me into their hug.

“AM I THAT PETTY!?” I yelled.

“We don’t know.” Shin teased me.

How is it that it has only been two months but they seemed to have matured so much? Especially J. Or is it that they have always been this mature, I just did not have a chance to see it?

***
“Where are we going?” Shin asked as I drove.

“Somewhere.” I said.

“Your place?” J asked.

“Kind of.” I said.

“Hyung, don’t give vague answers.” J said.

I winked at him and continued driving. They fell asleep half way through the journey.

“We’re here.” I woke them up when we arrived.

“Ouh.” They woke up, rubbing their eyes cutely.

“Where are we?” J asked as he stumbled out of the car.

“Somewhere.” I said, helping Shin out. He looked like he was still in dreamland.

“Wakey, wakey!” I said, rubbing his cheeks.

“Do you live here, hyung?” Shin asked as we headed into the lift.

“I used to.” I said, remembering the times I stayed here with Haneul before we got our own place.

They asked nothing, but followed me. Even before I could enter the pass code into the apartment, the door opened, revealing Haneul.

“NOONA!!!” They yelled, pushing me aside to go hug Haneul. HUGGING HANEUL IN MY PRESENCE?! REALLY!?

I cleared my throat loudly.

“Omo~ Is there something wrong with your throat, hyung?” J asked.

I shot him a death glare.

“Come on in!” Haneul said, letting the both of them in.

“Control your expression.” Haneul whispered to me.

“How?” I asked.

“Find a way.” She said, pinching my side.

“Where is this place?” Shin asked as he looked around.

“Is it a nice place?” Haneul asked.

Shin nodded as he sat down on the couch.

“Feels like home.” He said.

“And J?” She asked.

“I think I can live here forever.” He said, lying on the couch.

“Then live here for a long, long time, okay?”Haneul asked.

The both of them had the same expression; wide eyes.

“This used to be where Haneul stayed. It’s been empty for long. But Haneul here cleaned it up. If the both of you don’t mind, would you like to look over this place for us?” I asked.

“But… How… We…” J stuttered.

“What? Repay us? Just be good.” Haneul smiled.

“HYUNG!!!” Shin burst into tears.

Haneul looked at me in shock.

“Aigoo~ Why do you have so much tears today?” I asked, hugging him.

“We cannot just take over your place like that.” J said softly.

“You’re not taking over our place. You’re helping us look after it.” Haneul said.

“But still…” He muttered.

“Am I your Noona and is he your Hyung?” She asked.

J nodded.

“Excellent. Then stay here.” She said.

“We have to pay…” He muttered.

“Pay with your good behavior. That’s more than enough for us.” Haneul said, looking at me.

I nodded in approval.

“Alright, stop this emotional crap. There are two rooms. One is bigger than the other by a little. Go take your pick.” Haneul said.

“THE BIGGER ONE IS MINE!!!” Shin and J yelled at the same time as they raced each other to the room.

I looked at Haneul who was laughing heartily.

“What?” She asked, seemingly embarrassed by her laughter.

“Nothing. I just cannot believe that you’re my wife.” I said.

“Why?” She asked.

“You’re an angel, aren’t you?” I said.

She stuck out her tongue at me.

After settling them down, we left them to explore the house and the estate on their own.

“Do you think they’ll cope well?” I asked as I drove us back home.

“I guess so. But you can help them.” She said.

“Me alone? Not us?” I asked.

She did not say anything.

“Lionny?” I called out.

“Junroro, I have something to tell you.” She said.

“What is it?” I asked, trying to focus on the road and look at her at the same time.

She in a deep breath, and then sighed loudly.

“I was thinking…” She said.

“Uh huh?” I waited for her to continue.

“I was thinking of going on a trip.” She said.

“Oh. Sure. Why not? Where? When? I’ll arrange it.” I said.

It is just wanting to go on a trip, why is she acting so tensed up and nervous?

“I am not sure where.” She said.

“Then think about it and I will make the necessary arrangements.” I said.

“No, no. I mean, I want to go on a trip. Alone.” She said.

“Oh.” I muttered.

“Where? How long?” I asked.

“I really have no idea where I would go first.” She said.

“First?” I asked.

She nodded.

“I was thinking… if I could be away for a year or so.” She said so softly I almost could not hear.

I slammed onto the brake.

“A YEAR OR SO!?” I yelled, staring at her in disbelieve. 

***
tumblrmk2oj48vxl1qcs068.gifHaneul: I was thinking… if I could be away for a year or so. *Okay, his expression isn't really this calm but hahahaha*