Shelter

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Minji’s POV

“Why are you here?” Haneul asked as she handed me a cup of drink.

“Erm… I…” I muttered, looking around.

The people who were working did not look old, they looked like they were around our age. They were dressed nicely, certainly not looking like one who needed a job at an hour like this.

“What are you looking at?” Haneul asked.

“No. Just..” I bit my lower lip.

I did not know how to ask her about it.

“I know what’s going through your mind. Why am I here working? Where are the kids? Am I right?” She said.

My eyes widened at the fact she could read my mind.

She stretched her arms and smiled at me.

“Are you in need of money?” I asked her.

“Aren’t we all?” She asked.

“You know what I mean, Haneul.” I said.

“Alright, alright. I’m not in need of money. This is voluntary work.” She said.

“Voluntary work?” I asked.

“Yea. We are packing food to be given out to those elderly around here in the afternoon.” She explained.

“You came to Busan just to do this?” I asked.

“In fact, we go everywhere.” She said.

“Where’s Ji Eun and Tae Hyun?” I asked.

“I left them in the orphanage. I can’t possibly bring them along, can I?” She smiled.

“Did you leave home just for this?” I asked, hoping to hear a positive answer.

She looked away, avoiding me.

“Haneul~” I called out.

“Are you hungry? I could get you something to eat.” She said.

“I don’t want to eat. Haneul, come home with…” She cut me off before I could finish.

“Minji, I have my reasons for leaving. I thank you for coming all the way here, but I am afraid I would have to disappoint you.” She said.

“Haneul, you don’t understand. You can’t just leave like that.” I said.

“If you are keen in helping us out, you may stay. Or else, go into one of the rooms and rest. I’ll get someone to send you to the station in the morning.” She said as she turned to leave.

“I’ll help!” I volunteered.

This might be the only way I can get to convince to her.

“Then erm.. You can put your stuff in my room. Do you mind sharing a room with me? It’ll only be for a few days thou.” She said.

“Of course not.” I smiled.

After I put my stuff down, I followed her outside. She introduced the people to me. They seem like they have known each other for a long time, or perhaps they really have. She went on to tell me where everything was and what they had to do.

“So basically we are here this week to provide food for them, and just talk to them. It’s a long term thing, but we take turns. It’s our turn this week. We pack the food at night, and then deliver them in the afternoon. After that, we could stick around and talk to them or go off to do whatever we need to. It’s not a nine to five kind of job, so if you need to go, just let us know and you can go.” She said.

I nodded.

“It’s really carefree here. As in, while we need to get work done, we also understand that everyone is leading their own lives. Don’t feel tied down or anything like that. Just have fun.” She said.

I was pretty surprised that the people there had the ability to make me feel like I was part of them despite the fact I abruptly joined the team. They talked to me and teased me like I was their long-time friend. Throughout work, everyone was chatty and laughing a lot. Although it was tiring, I had to admit it was quite fun too.

“It’s almost 5AM, you girls should go get some rest. We’ll finish up.” One of the guys said.

“But it’s not fair.” I muttered.

They laughed at my statement.

“Minji’s right. It’s not fair.” Haneul said, giggling as well.

“Nothing is fair, but it’s okay.” He said.

“Just go already!” Another said.

We thanked them and headed back. After washing up, Haneul and I lied on the bed, feeling extremely sleepy.

“Tiring eh?” Haneul asked.

“Yea, but it was fun.” I said.

“We are all tired, but we keep each other going.” She said.

“Then can’t you keep your family going too?” I asked.

She looked at me, not saying anything. I felt a little nervous, to be honest. She gave me no response. She turned her back towards me. I got her message.

***
“Lucky~” I called out as soon as he answered the call.

“Why are you calling me when you hung up on me?” He asked grumpily.

“Aww~ I’m sorry. You know I didn’t mean to hang up on you.” I said.

“You obviously meant it!” He said.

“Would telling you something make you less angry?” I asked.

“What?” He asked.

“My panda is curious after all.” I .

“Forget it! Don’t tell!” I could hear him trying to control his laughter.

“I found Haneul.” I said.

“Really!? Where!? Are you coming back then!?” He asked excitedly.

“Relax, panda!” I laughed.

“When are you coming back?” He asked.

“I have yet to convince her.” I said.

“Just drag her back.” He said.

“I wish I could.” I said.

“Where are you then?” He asked.

“In Busan. I really have no idea where this place is but she’s doing some voluntary work here.” I said.

“So, you’ve joined her?” He asked.

“Yea.” I said.

He sighed loudly.

“What was that for?” I asked.

“Come back soon.” He said.

“I will.” I said.

“Is Ji Eun and Tae Hyun there then?” He asked.

“No. They are at the orphanage.” I said.

“Really?” He sounded surprised.

Just then, I heard Haneul’s voice from the outside.

“Lucky, I got to go. She’s coming in. I’ll call you soon, okay?” I said hurriedly.

“Alright. I miss and love you.” He said, kissing the phone.

“Love you too.” I giggled, feeling butterflies in my stomach at his phone kiss.

He ended the call, and so did I.

“Why are you giggling?” Haneul asked.

“Nothing.” I tried to hide my smile, but failed.

“Is it Seungho?” She asked, throwing me a box of biscuits.

“How do you know?” I asked, surprised.

“Are you the only one in love?” She asked, sitting down in front of me, hugging her legs.

“Then why are you running away?” I asked.

“You don’t understand, Minji. But it’s okay. Because I don’t expect you to, and neither do I wish for you to have to ever understand.” She said.

“But…” She stopped me before I could continue.

“Please don’t start, Minji. Please don’t. I came here for a reason. I left for a reason. Please.” She pleaded.

“Just answer me one question.” I said.

“What?” She asked.

“Do you still love Junhyung?” I asked.

“What do you think?” She asked me.

What a stupid question I just asked.

***
"Go home, Minji ah~ I wouldn't come with you." Haneul said.

It was our last day at work. I thought she would return to Seoul with us but instead she said that she was going to stay here. I was starting to feel angry after days of convincing. As much as I enjoyed working here, I never forgot why I came. I have not had the chance to sit down and convinced her, but as and when I could, I would try to mention Junhyung.

"Haneul ah," I called out.

She turned to me, and I slapped her across her cheek. She gasped in surprise, and then cupped her redden cheek.

"Selfish ." I muttered, tears threatening to spill.

"I'm selfish?" She asked, tears welling up in her eyes too.

"I'm selfish? Minji, really? You're a woman too, I thought of all people you should understand how I am feeling the best! I'm disappointed in you, Minji." She said, allowing her tears to fall.

"Precisely because I am a woman too, I am calling you selfish! What is with just packing up and leaving?!" I yelled.

"I CAN'T FACE HIM ANYMORE!! I DON'T EXPECT YOU TO UNDERSTAND HOW I FEEL BECAUSE IT HAS NOT HAPPENED TO YOU YET AND I HOPE THAT IT WOULD NEVER HAVE TO HAPPEN TO YOU BECAUSE IT IS ING PAINFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!" She shouted as she pushed me against the wall, my shoulders slamming hard against the concrete.

"I CAN'T LOOK AT JUNHYUNG ANYMORE, MINJI AH! I REALLY CAN'T! I KNOW I SHOULD NOT BE BEHAVING THIS WAY BUT I CAN'T LOOK AT HIM! I CAN'T FACE HIM! INSTEAD OF HATING ON HIM, I RATHER LEAVE! WHY CAN'T YOU UNDERSTAND!? I'M SELFISH, YES, BUT I'M IN A LOT OF PAIN TOO, MINJI AH!!!!!" She cried.

"Haneul ah~" I held onto her, crying as well.

"I can't, I can't. I really can't go back to him. Our world is gone. It's gone. I can't go back anymore. Nothing would be the same." She cried.

"Haneul ah, your world is not entirely gone yet." I said. 

She stared hard at me, and then slapped me across my cheek.

"It is gone, Minji. And he was the one who destroyed it." She said with a murderous glare.

"Go home." She said coldly as she turned her back.

"How many slaps do I have to endure from you before you would come with me?" I asked.

She turned to look at me, confused.

"What?" She asked.

"How many slaps do I have to endure before you would come with me? Ten? Twenty? Fifty? One hundred? Just tell me, how many?" I asked again.

"Why are you doing this?" She asked.

"Because I cannot bear to see your family shatter, and as a friend, this is the least I can do." I said.

"Too late, Minji ah~ It's shattered already." She said.

"It's not! Haneul ah, it's not!" I pleaded.

"You want my family back together, but he does not. So what's the point?" She asked.

"How do you know he doesn't?" I asked.

"Where is he then?" She asked.

"He... He couldn't come." I said softly.

She shook her head and laughed forcefully.

"Yea, of course. Because work is more important, sleep is more important, everything else is more important than this ing so called family! Everything is is just more important to him that he can just..." She did not finish her sentence. 

"It was his world too, damn it." I said.

She glared at me, fists clenched.

"He destroyed it." She hissed.

"Don't be childish, Haneul! Stop acting like a kid! You of all people should know how guilty he is feeling! You of all people should be there for him right now and not just push all the ing blame onto him and walk off! Yes, he was careless, he is responsible, but do you really need an outsider to tell you how much pain he is in right now? I know you're hurting too. We're all hurting, but of course our pain can never be compared to both you and Junhyung. But Haneul... You need come back. He needs you. He.." I could not seem to continue. 

"What?" She asked.

"Junhyung needs you." I said.

"What happened?" She asked, concern all over her face now.

"Junhyung... He..." I muttered.

"What!?" She shook me.

"He just needs you. Please just come back with me." I pleaded.

"Tell me what happened!" She yelled.

"Junhyung is not Junhyung anymore.” I said, looking away.

“He’s not himself. At times, he is Junhyung, at times, he is aggressive, and at times, he just spaces out at the window. He keeps calling himself a murderer. We are scared that he might hurt himself or do something unthinkable. It’s just scary.” I explained.

After I finished, she collapsed onto the floor and stared blankly at me.

“I’m sorry.” I said softly as I pulled her into a tight embrace.

“It’s my fault he became like this.” She mumbled.

“Stop it. Please. No one is at fault. Everything that happened was an accident. The both of you need each other.” I said.

She sighed and looked away.

“Haneul, please.” I made her look at her.

“I don’t know if I can face him. I don’t wish to hurt him further, that’s why I left.” She said, crying.

“At least try, Haneul. We’re all supporting the both of you. Please.” I pleaded.

She nodded, finally.

***
“Is this your first time?” I asked Hanuel.

“You mean the voluntary work? Of course not.” She said.

“No wonder you seem so familiar with everyone.” I said.

“I’ve been in this line for years.” She said.

“But I’ve never heard of you doing voluntary work.” I said.

“After getting married and having the kids, my full time job had to become part time.” She said.

“I started working here years ago because of an incident with Junhyung. Initially, it was Jace who took me here so he could watch over me and at the same time distract me from all those thoughts. But as I continued working, I realize I do love this place." She continued.

“It sure does seem fun.” I said.

“You could join us.” She smiled.

“I could?” I asked.

“It’s voluntary. No requirements needed, and we pay in food, lodging and friendship.” She said.

“I’m in.” I smiled.

"Come to think about it, I kind of treat here like my shelter or something. Sometimes, I do feel bad.” She said.

"Why not say while you offer your help to other people, this place is indirectly offering its help to you?" I said.

She let out a slight smile and nodded. She continued telling me about her experiences during the times she worked, wowing me at every story.

“There’s something I have always been wanting to ask you.” She said suddenly.

“What?” I looked at her.

“How did you find me?” She asked.

“Well, I guess, at times, it sure is a good thing to have a powerful dad, and not to forget your friend, Jace. And of course, I'm powerful too.” I said.

“I didn’t know about your dad, but damn it, Jace.” She grumbled.

I could only laugh.

“But Minji, thank you.” She said.

“For what?” I asked.

“I may have left, but my heart is still at home. I guess I just needed someone to kick me in my back, and you did, so thank you.” She said.

“I didn’t kick you.” I muttered.

She laughed and slapped my thigh.

Ever since Loki’s death, this entire week was the happiest I have seen of Haneul. Let’s just hope this laughter can last.